| MBB/WBB Penny Hardaway at Memphis. How many of you guys remember Sexton calling his son, trash? It certainly appears this is the apple falling really close.

TerryP

Staff
..to the tree.

That was before Sexton signed with Bama. It was during his "travel ball" days when his team was facing the one coached by Penny, a team on which his son played as well.

In case you missed it, Tennessee played Memphis the other day and had their way with them to the same degree Roy Adams and his hot tub had their way with...nah, I digress.

Here's three links covering the story:

Sports Illustrated
CBS Sports
Memphis' Commercial Appeal.

People are taking issue with his comments about Barnes, his players flopping, and an altercation that broke out at the end of the game. In his conversation with reporters, Penny went on to say things like, "Rick Barnes, get the f--- out of here."

During an interview. It's not exactly what I'd call "staying above the fray." In fact, it's what I'd call "antagonistic comments intended to draw attention." It's got its own Ed O quality—more 'rah rah Memphis' than actual coaching.

I've never been sold on Penny as a coach. I'm selling every bit of stock I have in that notion. From what I've seen so far this season it's all about "roll the ball out on the court and let them play." AAU ball. Pure and simple.

I can't tell you how it makes me a bit uncomfortable actually taking up for any Tennessee product. But, it's not that hard when I consider it's Memphis, it's Penny, and the history of both the city, recruiting, and his style.

Memphis has enjoyed a lot of basketball success over the decades due to picking some good coaches. I remember going to the Pyramid back in the day to catch a few games myself. But this coach isn't one of them.

Gonna quote this twice—two different subjects.

Memphis has enjoyed a lot of basketball success over the decades due to picking some good coaches. I remember going to the Pyramid back in the day to catch a few games myself. But this coach isn't one of them.
Off topic for a second:

I was in downtown Memphis when they had the ground breaking ceremony for The Pyramid. By helicopter, the flew in a HUGE shovel that was made of neon lights (as I recall they were neon.) They dropped the shovel from a good 200' in the air and landed it on the banks of the Mississippi that night. In the picture below you'll see the Mississippi to the right. In the second one, you'll see it with the bridge over the river in the background. For perspective, that bridge is 1.5 miles long and about half of it is lit along the top. I was fortunate to be roof top at a local hotel that was on the water that night...hell of a view, hell of a party, and a hell of a recovery from a party that lasted well into the next morning.

a.PNGa1.png

Memphis has enjoyed a lot of basketball success over the decades due to picking some good coaches.
Many may not remember Gene Bartow had a small stint as the Tigers head coach. Over the four years he was there he had them to a 20 win mark in his second or third year. I don't remember it, I recall reading and hearing about his tenure in the early to mid '70's. They hired the Memphis version of Les Miles in a guy named Yates and by the time he left they were back to a dozen wins or so...in comes Dana Kirk. I was watching his teams play when they were in the Mid South Coliseum at the end of his tenure then watch Larry Finch put good teams on the court, but never reached the same level as Kirk.

While there it was pretty easy to see how fertile the recruiting territory can be as his/their only competition really came from Arkansas. If you don't know, and I'm pretty sure Means taught you everything you need to know about that area, recruiting is not within the spirit, or the law, of the NCAA guidelines in the area surrounding Shelby county.

Many may not remember Gene Bartow had a small stint as the Tigers head coach. Over the four years he was there he had them to a 20 win mark in his second or third year. I don't remember it, I recall reading and hearing about his tenure in the early to mid '70's. They hired the Memphis version of Les Miles in a guy named Yates and by the time he left they were back to a dozen wins or so...in comes Dana Kirk. I was watching his teams play when they were in the Mid South Coliseum at the end of his tenure then watch Larry Finch put good teams on the court, but never reached the same level as Kirk.

I remember Gene Bartow, I believe with the NCAA taking pretty much everything Memphis accomplished under Calipari he is still the only coach to get credit for taking Memphis to the final 4 in 1973. Finch was there when I lived in the area.

This move by Penny is BRILLIANT in many ways. Unless you live in Tennessee(as I do, Memphis to be precise) you do not understand the division that exists among people in the state. The entire State of Tennessee looks down on Memphis as some sort of leper colony. I lived in Nashville for a number of years and can tell you these attitudes are very prevalent.

The Tigers have always been their best when the local talent stayed home. There is enough talent in Memphis to build a Final Four contender every year and Penny knows it. Memphis' own Larry Finch got fired because he couldn't get any of the best talent to sign one year despite UT having a coaching change on then Memphis went into the tank.

Pastner got fired because he couldn't gain their respect because he was so soft and he couldn't keep the likes of Austin Nichols home.

Tubby got fired because he refused to even speak to the local kids.

Penny just got all the Memphis kids stoked up because they know he isn't going to let the UT crowd control the narrative in the state.

Its funny the UT crowd thought it was awesome when Kiffen and Pearl were running their traps, but now that Penny called out Barnes for his comments about the Memphis kids.

Penny has already gotten the #1 recruit in the nation on board, he has the Boosters onboard, now he has the entire city on board and he doesn't give a crap what anyone else thinks about it.

If he can continue to recruit and build momentum it wont matter if he is a great bench coach or not, everyone knows Calapari isn't, he will be the lasted version of local boy done good continue to build on his own legacy. Memphis will be an elite 8 team next year and this city will be rockin.

Back
Top Bottom