| FTBL Paul W. Bryant's funeral...

One of my earliest memories is the day I attended his funeral at Elmwood. Those images are burned into my mind as I had never seen anything like that before, being so young.

Bears death is one of my first memories as well Porter. :cry:

Mainly because I was pissed that the funeral was interupting my cartoon hour of TV. :lol: Made me remember it though and Im thankful now

Great link. I, like you guys, will never forget watching the coverage live on TV that day. I remember shots from a news helicopter showing what I remember as hundreds of thousands of cars lining the interstate as the convoy rolled by to Tuscaloosa ( I am probably way over estimating, but it seemed like cars and people were along the entire interstate including people on all the overpasses). When they reported on the evening news that Wednesday night that he had died, it was the only time I have ever seen my dad cry. He had traveled the country going to UA games and starting then he began to despise Bam and to this day hates them with a passion. No one knows why and he will not discuss it. He only wants to point out any problem with the school that he can find and cheer for anyone they play. He now claims Florida as his team (imagine that, bandwagon fan).

An early memory of mine to be sure. I remember lining up with the other untold thousands on McFarland blvd. My mom took me and my infant brother at the time. We stood shoulder to shoulder with all those other people on both sides of McFarland.

It was a sunny day. I remember wathcing with an innocent reverie as the car drove by. We were at Snow Hinton park not far from the University Mall.

Sad day but a good memory.

Truly a memorable couple of days. I also went to the funeral and visit the grave site to this day for he is buried right near my grandparents in Elmwood.. I still have lots of good pics from that day and of the massive flower display at the cemetery.. That Memory will live for ever.
RTR

bamanaf said:
Truly a memorable couple of days. I also went to the funeral and visit the grave site to this day for he is buried right near my grandparents in Elmwood.. I still have lots of good pics from that day and of the massive flower display at the cemetery.. That Memory will live for ever.
RTR

My Grandfather and Grandmother are in Elmwood as well. I've traveled the "the crimson road".

Birmingham said:
bamanaf said:
RTR

My Grandfather and Grandmother are in Elmwood as well. I've traveled the "the crimson road".

;tr

My mom and I drove to Birmingham that day (an hour from home) to see the funeral procession go by. It was a Friday and she let me miss school, which was unheard of at our house. I can barely remember any of the details, but I do remember my mother standing there holding my hand with tears rolling down her face.

The birth home of the "Bear" in Arkansas.

bryant1.jpg

I was 4 years old and I remember my Daddy crying and I asked "What's wrong Daddy?" and him telling me "We buried a hero today son!". I then asked "But, why you crying?" "Son, Alabama buried it's biggest hero today and someday you'll understand who the Bear was". And now that I am 30 I realize just how big of a hero we lost that day.

Thanks a million for the video!!

Cory

ElephantStomp said:
I was 4 years old and I remember my Daddy crying and I asked "What's wrong Daddy?" and him telling me "We buried a hero today son!". I then asked "But, why you crying?" "Son, Alabama buried it's biggest hero today and someday you'll understand who the Bear was". And now that I am 30 I realize just how big of a hero we lost that day.

Thanks a million for the video!!

Cory

I wish I could say the same ElephantStomp, I wasn't even born yet when he died. I wish I could have had a memory of when he was alive.

Back
Top Bottom