Pat Summitt

PhillyGirl

I know most of yall hate all things Tennessee, but I've always been a big fan of the Lady Vols (don't judge meeee), if only for the way Pat Summitt revolutionized women's basketball (and women's college athletics as a whole). My dad took classes at UT in the early 90s and saw them play, and when I was 3 or 4, he brought me home a Lady Vols cap and magnet, which I still have to this day. It's the only Tennessee crap I will EVER own, but it's special you know?

Anywho, I've been reading Pat's latest book, "Sum it Up", and it's excellent. I rarely cry or laugh aloud at books, but I find myself doing both nearly every chapter. You really feel like you are sitting with Pat listening to her recount the days in the barn with her big brothers playing basketball, or driving her team to games 12 hours away in a mini-van, or the time she almost had her baby at a recruit's house! It's great. And also bittersweet, because the book also tackles her struggle with dementia and the future. My grandfather had dementia and eventually Alzheimer's, so her pain is very palpable for me. You also gain a deeper understanding of her coaching and leadership style, which I have always admired.

I really recommend the book. If you can look past the puke orange, it's well-worth your time. Great sports book :) :clap:

I will wait for the movie, and you know it will become a movie. I hope their pick you to play her part, that would be a reason for me to go.:p I think she was one of the best at that place to play for.

Ha, I don't have those icy blue eyes unfortunately. Whoever plays her has to have that steely gaze or else it just wouldn't be Pat.

I played basketball for a few years and boy, she would've whipped my ass. I only wish I'd had a coach like that in any sport in my entire life, and I would be a much better person for it.

Back
Top Bottom