| NEWS Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott said he only supports football playoff expansion if Power 5 conference champs guaranteed spot - The Register-Guard

I don't believe you dismiss data from any period of time. You can weight the data accordingly. Sure the game has changed in 150 years. But it's changed significantly since 2009.

But if you're trying to predict "the best," you need to evaluate data from the time period that makes a team "the best." How many times has the champion been determined during the bowl games? How many times has the champion lost during the early season? If you establish your dependent variable (winning a championship), you evaluate which independent variables (rushing yards, passing yards, turnovers, non-offensive TDs, sacks, etc) help to predict success. Remember that success in all past years has been based on opinion (polls, CFP rankings), not data.

Uga at Oklahoma
Wisconsin at clemson
Florida at osu
utah at lsu
Wouldnt that be awesome saturday football...some blowouts. Some upsets
Some bad weather

On a moneyline, that's a lineup that's also a chalk Saturday. Nary an upset to be found with three blowouts; likely four. The closest line would be OU giving three or so to UGA. That'd be bet up within a few hours. Clemson would open giving Wisconsin as much as three scores (17,) OSU would give Florida more.

LSU and Utah ... right there with those two in terms of points.

145 simulations, LSU winning 87%+ of the time, average score differential 16 (LSU) ... some of that 'countin stuff you like so much.

On a moneyline, that's a lineup that's also a chalk Saturday. Nary an upset to be found with three blowouts; likely four. The closest line would be OU giving three or so to UGA. That'd be bet up within a few hours. Clemson would open giving Wisconsin as much as three scores (17,) OSU would give Florida more.

LSU and Utah ... right there with those two in terms of points.

145 simulations, LSU winning 87%+ of the time, average score differential 16 (LSU) ... some of that 'countin stuff you like so much.
Lol.... with that logic Terry.....scrap the 4 because...of blowouts......
Been many...... right...one very painful.......inflicted a couple....
actually...some of those are intriguing matchups .... 2 at least ..Wisconsin vs Clemson...uga n Oklahoma....
But rather watch those 4 games than.... than any in current bowl lineup... except bama...for obvious reasons
But.... the top 4 should be favored....( thats why they are top 4)... would really show Pac 12 commissioner...big 10 commissioner....other 3 where there best teams stand...
I honestly don’t understand why any fan would not be for this....really!

But if you're trying to predict "the best," you need to evaluate data from the time period that makes a team "the best." How many times has the champion been determined during the bowl games? How many times has the champion lost during the early season? If you establish your dependent variable (winning a championship), you evaluate which independent variables (rushing yards, passing yards, turnovers, non-offensive TDs, sacks, etc) help to predict success. Remember that success in all past years has been based on opinion (polls, CFP rankings), not data.
Prediction of best...hell fire...let the players decide on the field....
Lots of variables.....but really..."its the Jimmies and Joes"

I honestly don’t understand why any fan would not be for this....really!
Because some fans see what the playoffs have done to collegiate football.

Have the playoffs, in their current format, helped the game of college football? It's a "look at the money" answer forthcoming. The unintended consequences, things pointed to before the playoffs began, are rearing their heads. Players sitting, bowl game devalued, regular season losses having no implications.

regular season losses having no implications.

Depends on who you lose to and who you are. If the CFPC wants to punish you for losing to a ranked team they will drop the hell out of you. If they want to ensure you have a chance at a spot later they will raise the team that beat you and talk about quality losses. With that comes the fact that team A beating team C is a quality win where team B beating that same team C is not.

Because some fans see what the playoffs have done to collegiate football.

Have the playoffs, in their current format, helped the game of college football? It's a "look at the money" answer forthcoming. The unintended consequences, things pointed to before the playoffs began, are rearing their heads. Players sitting, bowl game devalued, regular season losses having no implications.
I agree....on ...
Players sitting Is piss poor for the bowls.... for the game itself...
as far as the game....Terry....i am obviously a very long term and passionate fan..
But the bowls are archaic....mean nothing ...not good matchups in a lot of cases...
Not interesting....... one or two if i have nothing else to do I might watch...
The playoffs....have done some of this...but the amount of bowls and the quality of teams.... they were a reward for a team...now its just a sponsor and community event that televised......
Its just how u look at it....I would like to see another weekend of playoffs.....you, on the other hand, would not....

If you expand to 8, fine. NO WAY IN HELL do you guarantee that all P5 champs get an automatic bid!!! No one wants to see a 3-4 loss team in the playoffs.

Back
Top Bottom