| FTBL One Area Of Improvement This Spring/Summer?

alabama mike

Just Win Baby!
Bama has to replace several key pieces to the puzzle for the upcoming season. We have losses at DL. LB, DB, Kicking game, OL, TE, RB and assistant coach's. With that being said, what one area mentioned or not do you want to see the most progress made this spring and summer. In other words, what is the area of of most need in your opinion and tell us why. As always, I look forward to your thoughts.

1. Downfield passing

Lots of things need to go right to make this happen. First and foremost the OL needs to hold blocks more consistently...Although kind of hard to tell last year with Jalen's preference to break the pocket. WR's need to get open, OC needs to design things well, and QB needs to have the discipline to stick in there and accuracy to make the throw.

The last 2 games it was pretty clear we had no ability to stretch the D. If that changes everything else can improve from run game to the D.

"Greatest area of improvement" sort of limits replies to only that at which we were less than stellar last season. And given we were a first down or two away from another national championship, it is slim pickings. So I think most would agree with @Tidestalker . However, run blocking at the guard positions is a close second, which directly impacts our downfield passing ability.

The area that I am looking to see improvement made in is the area of run blocking. Last year, we had trouble getting a yard when we needed to line up and play smash mouth ball on a consistent basis.

There are four responses here and none of them touch on one of the position groups that I believe need improvement and that needs to come before this team gets into skel drills and the summer workouts--the wide receivers.

Perhaps the words "spare me" are a little harsh. But, spare me listing all of the names you'll find on the roster now, in the summer, or when fall camp starts. I can put sausage, bacon bits, crab, shrimp, tomato sauce, garlic cloves, okra, peppers, onions ... I can put them all out on the counter and I still don't have gumbo.

Consider:

1.png

What do we know right now? We know what Calvin can do in the position. That's proven. After Calvin what are we looking at with this group?

40 reception returning that accounted for 409 yards and eight touchdowns. When I saw these types of numbers for another school in the state of Alabama I, like a lot of you, laughed at the possibility they had a group of play makers returning.

Where's that physical blocker we've seen the last few years...like Stewart gave the offense last season? Outside of Calvin, who is there to point to?

You see my point here, folks? I know, I know. You're tempted to say, "Look at the potential! Look at the talent!" To that I say, "look at the last 10 years of recruiting classes and you'll find the same thing." Not all of those have worked out as well all know.

I suspect if you'll be honest with yourself while thinking about this you'll see exactly what I'm saying here. The only position that has less experience has one person in the grouping: Bulovas.

(That's rain. I'm not pissing down your leg.)

All valid points Terry.

But.... Do we really need anything more than a good second option? Every year we talk about how many "weapons" or "options" we have to throw the ball to, and it seems to be 1 or 2 guys that catch all the passes.

Last year was the only year I can remember having 2 WR's that were legit threats to catch a pass on each play. The 3-4 years before that it was The Cooper & Ridley show. And those were "record" years in the passing game.

Pretty much everyone but Deiter that's been plugged in has done a good job. Cooper, Stewart, Calvin were very good or great. With Calvin back we just need one other dude to keep the D honest, and find a good blocker like Chris Jones who can play in the screen game.

Maybe we take for granted that at this level of recruiting we can find 2 guys that will run fast, get open, and catch the ball. Obviously not that simple, but IMO if there is 1 guy that is above average that group will do fine (barring injury to #3). Then we get into the conversation of the OL's ability to run block helping the passing game and so on.

Great points though... Aside from Ridley there is little to no production coming back. Since his soph year I was a big believer in Rob Foster, if he stays after Spring practice he will probably be a part of the offense. If he leaves, it will be a youngin as #2. Diggs seems like next man up. RTR

But.... Do we really need anything more than a good second option?
Therein is my point. There isn't one. Hence, the need for improvement this spring!

And, this goes beyond that "second good option." Stewart was the guy getting his jersey dirty last year--that physical blocking force that enables the offense to move. And, again, there isn't one.

Pretty much everyone but Deiter that's been plugged in has done a good job.

Most don't realize that the guy that's been #2 behind Deiter, and the year before that Mullaney, was Keif.

I wouldn't say one area. I would say, "give me a Top 3!"
1)The intermediate to downfield passing game accuracy. No surprises here. Jalen struggled when asked to take snaps under center and then drop back, survey the field, and make throws consistently. This can be traced to the type of offense that he ran in HS, shotgun spread. Footwork and weight transfer need to improve. This will improve his accuracy on said throws.
2) OL . Not that they were bad, we need more guys to be consistent, gel quickly, and above all else, stay healthy. Injuries at the RG spot were a problem last season.
3) Development of the WR corps. Who will be that 2nd guy behind Ridley? Which ones can prove that they are willing to be a good blocker as well as a good route runner and pass catcher. The talent/potential is there. Will Robert Foster finally get his act together? Will Juedy, Shavers, etc. be physical enough in the run game?

Back
Top Bottom