| FTBL On the subject of the SEC ending the conference championship game. tl;dr

If the playoff is expanded, I think it should increase in a manner to give the 1 or 2 seed a bye.

I like a 6 team playoff better than an 8. It makes it a goal to be seeded 1 or 2 and get that week off. But there will still be whining that it isn't fair because some teams play more games (isn't working against Notre Dame getting in this year) or 7 and 8 deserve a shot too.

I can't complain on he ND deal since Bama stayed home for the 2011 and 2017 SECCG's and still got into the show. Cut the SECCG and go to 9 conference games maybe.......but that means the possibility of losing one home game every other year in addition to money for the SECCG (all teams) as well. The dollar rules.

The dollar rules

This right here!! Presidents and ADs aren't going to be willing to part with the conference championship games if it means losing millions. I know a 9th conference game could offset those losses BUT they don't want to make up missed dollars, they want MORE!!!!

and the PAC12,Big12,Big 10, will demand that their champion be within those 8 teams. If you keep it the way it is with the conference CG then go to 6 with 1 and 2 receiving a free week. The season will be over the 3rd week in Jan for 2 teams and those two fanbase will have spent a fortune on travel.

Are you just into revisionist history or do you just like to misquote folks?
Why would the other conferences continue to play in these nothing games?
The SEC title game is a nothing game. Not even close to the truth
You just called these conference title games "nothing games." How can you be misquoted when all that was done was quote what you actually said? Who is revising what, now?

Alabama is undefeated in the SEC and by default deserves to present the SEC as champs.

You are continuing to miss the point. You're taking one season and trying to use it as a counter—it doesn't fit.

Stop, find an OU fan, or an OSU fan, and ask them how their game tomorrow is a "nothing game." You won't find an answer because the mere suggestion of such doesn't make sense.

If UGA plays Bama tough and earns a playoff spot do you think you're going to find a UGA fan saying "that was a nothing game?"

You can't replace the 15MM+ the SECCG brings into the conference and conference members. This notion "we'll lose 15 but then get 25" is based on a hope. One is guaranteed. The other isn't.

You can't deny that the extra game (CG's) don't give the committee another data point to judge teams through.

I get what you're trying to say here. But we can not make a judgment based on one season. Or, through the eyes of a historic run by the SEC.

You just called these conference title games "nothing games." How can you be misquoted when all that was done was quote what you actually said? Who is revising what, now?

, I've now explained, twice, in detail, my convictions on the specifics of why they don't matter. And you are still chasing semantics.

Stop, find an OU fan, or an OSU fan, and ask them how their game tomorrow is a "nothing game." You won't find an answer because the mere suggestion of such doesn't make sense.

Ask an Oklahoma fan after they beat Texas why it's CCG mattered if and when Ohio State gets that last #4 seed. It's the exact same beauty contest as it was at the end of the regular season. Tits on a bull.

If UGA plays Bama tough and earns a playoff spot do you think you're going to find a UGA fan saying "that was a nothing game?"

If they didn't have to play the game they both would be in, guaranteed. Just like last season. Reality is, Alabama and Georgia have to play in a game from hell and Clemson, Oklahoma, Ohio State, and Notre Dame, not so much.

You can't replace the 15MM+ the SECCG brings into the conference and conference members. This notion "we'll lose 15 but then get 25" is based on a hope. One is guaranteed. The other isn't.

Who cares, we only got to the 4 team playoff to begin with over the dead carcasses of these money grubbing fat cats. They won't starve to death and the fans and coach Saban finally get what's in the best interest of college football.

You can't deny that the extra game (CG's) don't give the committee another data point to judge teams through.

How does that compare to just putting the top 8 teams in the playoff and use that game and the attrition that comes with it as a true elimination contest? Someone's best "judgment" has absolutely nothing to do with the end result. And frankly, the less this stuff comes down to someone's best "judgment" the better for college football.

I get what you're trying to say here. But we can not make a judgment based on one season. Or, through the eyes of a historic run by the SEC.

We've been watching these type games for decades. If you're watching the Pac 12 CCG tonight, where do you put the over-under on whether the empty seats outnumber the people?

Why would the other conferences continue to play in these nothing games? Face it bro, you are stacking the deck and trying to make a shaky point the hard way. Try this "reasonable" football senario on for size.
The SEC title game is a nothing game. Not even close to the truth. It's the one game that the entire committee watches together. That's the same for all conferences. As I've mentioned when referring to that additional data point...when that one game is the game that propels a team to get a spot in the playoffs it's an everything game.

A 15 million dollar payout to the conference is a "shaky point." Again, not even close to be the truth.

Between the money and the additional resume building points there's nothing there that says this game is a bad idea or needs to be changed. The argument that the title games aren't equal are true. The notion the committee members don't realize this? Short sighted, at best.
#1 Alabama vs #8 UCF
#2 Clemson vs #7 Michigan
#3 Notre Dame vs #6 Ohio State
#4 Georgia vs #5 Oklahoma

Nobody sits at home in this real world and watches others beat each others brains out. Not even Notre Dame.

Now we're having fun!!!

Two of these games "might" be fun. Three, if you consider a Bama team rolling over a UCF team to be fun—and that would only be true for Bama fans.

It's touched on earlier in this thread and bears repeating.

What has Michigan done to deserve being included? What has UCF done?

Out of the eight you've listed, three deserve it at this point: Clemson, Notre Dame, and Alabama. Three still have something to prove and their respective conference championship games will do just that.

Why am I notified of this post? Has nothing to do with me.

Back
Top Bottom