| FTBL Oklahoma, Texas agree to exit Big 12 Conference after 2023-24 season

Either a 1 permanent +7 rotate model or 3 permanent +6 rotate and we finally get our 9 game conference schedule. The meltdown will be glorious now, when you factor how strong our conference already is in football, baseball, softball and basically every other sport. We go and add OU and Texas to the click!!

A portion of the more than $100 million in exit fees will go to Fox to compensate for the equivalent of seven lost Texas and Oklahoma football games.
14 teams in the conference and TX and/or OK were going to be on the slate over half the time. That says a lot about what they're leaving behind.

I'll admit I haven't followed the SEC's current or pending TV contract(s) very closely. Will ESPN and the like bump up what they're paying in 2024 because of the addition of these two teams?

14 teams in the conference and TX and/or OK were going to be on the slate over half the time. That says a lot about what they're leaving behind.

I'll admit I haven't followed the SEC's current or pending TV contract(s) very closely. Will ESPN and the like bump up what they're paying in 2024 because of the addition of these two teams?
Didn’t ESPN just sign that contract? If so I would think the geniuses at the SEC factored the addition of those two schools into it right? But, knowing the SEC probably not

Didn’t ESPN just sign that contract? If so I would think the geniuses at the SEC factored the addition of those two schools into it right? But, knowing the SEC probably not
A good portion of the holdup isn't about the SEC/ESPN adding games, it's the inventory that Fox would/will lose from their current deal with the Big 12.

The B1G will be reconfiguring their schedule in '24 while the SEC is adding these two teams. The move to nine games means Alabama is dropping one of the four: Wisconsin, Mercer, South Florida, or Western Kentucky.

It may be the easiest move for both conferences to cancel the Wisconsin vs Alabama tilt.

A good portion of the holdup isn't about the SEC/ESPN adding games, it's the inventory that Fox would/will lose from their current deal with the Big 12.

I was going to ask if Fox and ESPN could work a deal to share a smaller amount and lessen that $100M in an agreement to let Fox keep some games and allow ESPN to not have any scheduling conflicts. Sounds dumb of course due to the excitement it would stir from a viewership standpoint, but ESPN may be ok with that for a year while they continue with their initial plans of when they thought Texas and Oklahoma would come in. ESPN could still show the Texas/Alabama and Oklahoma/LSU type games, but maybe Fox keeps the Texas/Oklahoma, Texas/Mississippi State, Oklahoma/South Carolina game that year type stuff.

I was going to ask if Fox and ESPN could work a deal to share a smaller amount and lessen that $100M in an agreement to let Fox keep some games and allow ESPN to not have any scheduling conflicts. Sounds dumb of course due to the excitement it would stir from a viewership standpoint, but ESPN may be ok with that for a year while they continue with their initial plans of when they thought Texas and Oklahoma would come in. ESPN could still show the Texas/Alabama and Oklahoma/LSU type games, but maybe Fox keeps the Texas/Oklahoma, Texas/Mississippi State, Oklahoma/South Carolina game that year type stuff.
Only a portion of the $100 million is going to Fox, much of it will be in the Big 12 coffers and likely end up as school distributions. A visiting Cincy team isn't going to swell the gate proceeds for Baylor like TX does, so that's a legitimate loss to the schools.

The B1G will be reconfiguring their schedule in '24 while the SEC is adding these two teams. The move to nine games means Alabama is dropping one of the four: Wisconsin, Mercer, South Florida, or Western Kentucky.

It may be the easiest move for both conferences to cancel the Wisconsin vs Alabama tilt.
Hate if that is the culled game...but...probably right

"A key part of the deal to let the two schools out early was a game flip of a nonconference matchup between Michigan and Texas, sources told ESPN. Texas will now visit Michigan in 2024 in Ann Arbor and Michigan will return the game in Austin in 2027, according to sources. That game had been scheduled to play out the opposite way. The flip was a key driver in Fox agreeing to the deal, per sources."

Yet Texas still has UGA and UF on their future OOC schedules. Real head scratcher as to why SEC required OU to drop SEC opponents from their future schedules and did not do so with UT.

Either a 1 permanent +7 rotate model or 3 permanent +6 rotate and we finally get our 9 game conference schedule. The meltdown will be glorious now, when you factor how strong our conference already is in football, baseball, softball and basically every other sport. We go and add OU and Texas to the click!!
Don't forget the CFP expanding to 12 teams. Top 4 will be highest ranked conference champions. The remaining 8 could have 5 SEC teams for a total of 6 teams in the CFP.

Back
Top Bottom