| LIFE Nostalgia ... how things looked in _ _ _ _.

I grew up in the 60’s and 70’s. Kids today would not understand many of the things we had. IE: party lines, 3 TV channels, Clackers, etc…
We had 2 dependable channels, got the 3rd sometimes. TV antenna turner was a job for the kids. Neighbor picking up when it was your ring. Saturdays was the only day for cartoons... my kids don't understand why we didn't call our friends on our cell phones.

First time watching a color TV set was in 1970 or 1971. Brother bought it at the Western Auto store, it stays in the repair shop after he bought it for at least 5-6 months. Channel on the TV went from Channel 1-13 and then 14- and up. Channel 17 was the first one got on the upper channel as we call them.

Living high on the hog with four channels. We got two channels really well but the third was a carp shoot. I have been sent outside many times to turn the antenna and mom standing at the window relaying messages from my dad. 🙃
That's illegal.

Channel 42 out in Shelby County was hit or miss due to Double Oak Mountain, Channels 6 and 13 were good. Every Saturday night, culture diverged when you had a choice of Lawrence Welk or Hee Haw. We were solidly in the Hee Haw camp.

In college, one of my fraternity brothers had a B&W TV with a remote, no battery, it just plinked a piece of metal when you pressed a button and the TV would pick it up and move the knob one click. He always left his door open, so if took out your keys and shook them as you walked down the hall the knob would start flying around the dial.

Back
Top Bottom