| FTBL North Carolina WR Tez Walker denied appeal, ineligible for '23 (and Mac Brown is ticked off.)

North Carolina coach Mack Brown ripped the NCAA on Thursday after receiving word that receiver Tez Walker will be ineligible to play this season.

Saying the NCAA has failed Walker and his family, Brown said, "It makes no sense and it never will."

Walker and North Carolina have spent months appealing the NCAA's initial decision to reject his waiver to play in 2023 as a two-time transfer on multiple grounds: mental health challenges he has experienced, leading to his decision to transfer closer to home; and that he never played at his first school, NC Central, because its season was canceled as a result of the pandemic.

His two previous schools, NC Central and Kent State, filed waivers in support of Walker playing this year.

His final effort at getting eligibility went before a committee of NCAA Division I representatives Thursday.

F5coFpIacAEk2A1

The letter of the rule versus the spirit of the rule.

I wonder who is on the committee that made this decision: more importantly, where they are from. How many of the members were against playing football in 2020?

I don't like any of the denials on these transfer waivers, but Mack Brown himself this spring said he was happy the NCAA would not allow 2nd transfers. So Mack is looking pretty bad right now based on his own comments.
As I understand this, that announcement from the NCAA came after his transfer.

Surprisingly, it doesn't make sense to me. If he didn't use up any of his eligibility as his last school how does that count against being eligible this season?

Surprisingly, it doesn't make sense to me. If he didn't use up any of his eligibility as his last school how does that count against being eligible this season?

I didn't really know the particulars, but if he did not play due to upper management decisions he should not be penalized.

No, not really. The rule wasn't changed, there was only some clarification made on the 2 transfer rule.

Mack Brown literally said this spring that he was glad that 2 time transfers had to sit out a year. And now he is backtracking. It's not a great look for Mack. He should've just kept quiet.

I don't think so. Mack isn't going to be reckless with his comment unless he knows something and he does.

Mack Brown literally stated in public and was quoted as saying he was against 2 time transfers and was glad there was a rule that made a player sit out if he transferred twice (without the second being a grad transfer).

Again, I am for all players being allowed to transfer, but Mack stuck his foot in his mouth big time.

Back
Top Bottom