| MBB/WBB 🏀 No. 9/10 Alabama Closes Non-Conference Play with 84-64 Win Over Jackson State

On the bright side, 12 were in the first half, so they did clean it up after the half.
This is a pattern for some reason. I think except for Gonzaga they have had double digit turnovers in the first half and single in the 2nd. They really seemed to be intentional about trying to play fast earl in an almost chaotic way and it was a struggle for sure.

This is a pattern for some reason. I think except for Gonzaga they have had double digit turnovers in the first half and single in the 2nd. They really seemed to be intentional about trying to play fast earl in an almost chaotic way and it was a struggle for sure.
The defense (if you can call it that) against the Zags was terrible. Gonzaga shot 74% from the field in the 2nd half...a half ass defense could have held them at least closer to 50%.

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – The No. 9/10 Alabama men's basketball team closed out non-conference with a 20-point victory over Mo Williams' Jackson State Tigers, Tuesday night inside Coleman Coliseum. The Crimson Tide scored 51 second half points and outrebounded the Tigers 46-38 to improve to 10-2 heading into Southeastern Conference play.

Alabama was led on offense by double-digit scoring by Noah Gurley (16), Mark Sears (15), Nick Pringle (14), Brandon Miller (10) and Charles Bediako (10). Jackson State held their own for much of the contest, only trailing the Tide by one point at the break. The Tigers were led by Ken Evans Jr. who had 12 first half points and finished with 19.

After surrendering 10 first half turnovers, Alabama made it a point of emphasis to attack the rim. The Crimson Tide outscored the Tigers 46-24 in points in the paint. The Tide used five second half offensive rebounds, three from Bediako to give UA perimeter shooters second opportunities. Sears took advantage of the open back court and scored all 15 of his points in the second half, including going 50% (3-6) from the three-point line.

HEAD COACH NATE OATS POSTGAME COMMENTS​

"We needed a win going into Christmas break. They are obviously not easy to come by, as you saw across the SEC and across the country. I thought our guys did well in the second half after they were leading by one, as we kind of took control from there. Different guys stepped up. I thought Mark Sears' defense in the second half was significantly better, and I thought he played hard. I thought Pringle gave us some big minutes. Brandon Miller, they weren't letting him get going on offense. They were denying him everywhere and playing physical with him. In the past, I think he's had games where his offensive has struggled and he's kind of taken a step back defensively, and I didn't think he did that today. I thought he grew up. I thought offense was difficult for him, but he had 14 rebounds and led us in plus minus so you're seeing growth in different guys in different areas, which is a good thing. We still have the turnover issue, which we've got to get fixed. It's good to see Quinerly back. He had five assists and only one turnover, so I think he's starting to feel more comfortable, which should be good moving forward. We were able to get him a decent number of minutes. Jaden Bradley had seven assists. I thought the guys were moving the ball in a positive assist to turnover ratio. It's good that Nick Pringle gave us some solid minutes. He ended up winning the hard hat for us. I thought he played hard and gave us solid minutes. It's a good win going into the holidays. We can give the guys a few days off and get back ready to play SEC games."

TEAM STATS​

• Brandon Miller finished with his second double-double of the season, the freshman scored 10 points and grabbed a season's best 14 rebounds
  • The Crimson Tide had five players score in double-digits: Noah Gurley (16), Mark Sears (15), Nick Pringle (14), Brandon Miller (10) and Charles Bediako (10)
  • Alabama recorded 46 points in the paint, compared to just 26 from Jackson State
  • Jaden Bradley led UA in assists with seven, a career-high for the freshman
  • The Crimson Tide finished with 20 assists, led by the two points guards, Jahvon Quinerly with five and Bradley with seven
  • Noah Gurley made his first start of the season, contributing a season-best 16 points from the graduate student
  • Gurley added five rebounds and blocked two JSU shots; Gurley made 14 starts in 2021-22

FIRST HALF​

• Both teams traded buckets for the start of the game, but the Tide used an 11-3 run over 3:48 seconds to take a 31-21 lead
  • Jackson State responded with a 11-2 run over the final three minutes of the half to cut the UA halftime lead to 33-32
  • Nick Pringle led Alabama on the offensive end with 10 first half points, five rebounds, and a pair of assists
  • Alabama out-rebounded Jackson State 27-19 in the first half, with Brandon Miller grabbing eight rebounds
  • Noah Gurley made his first start of the season, the graduate student started 14 games a season ago
  • Alabama's 33 first half points are the lowest the Tide has scored in the first half of play since November 18 against South Alabama (32 first half points)
  • The Crimson Tide dished out nine first half assists, freshman Jaden Bradley led the way with four assists in his third consecutive start

SECOND HALF​

• Mark Sears came out hot in the second half, the junior scored all 15 of his points in the final 20 minutes, including going 3-6 from beyond the arch
  • After a Jackson State basket in the opening minute of the half, Alabama went on a 17-6 run to extend its lead to 10 52-42 with 14:10 remaining
  • The Crimson Tide dished out 11 second half assists, led by Jahvon Quinerly with four
  • Alabama grabbed seven offensive rebounds in the second half, highleted by Charles Bediako's three offensive boards
  • Noah Gurley scored 12 second half points, and shot 83% (5-6) from the field in the second half of play
  • Jackson State shot 35% (10-28) from the field in the second half, and the Tigers did not have a player score in double-figures in the second half

Looks like it was a tight one in the first half. 13 turnovers in the 1st half and 33 points? Second half looks like they finally played like they should. Maybe we took them too lightly, but glad we got the W.

Maybe we took them too lightly,
Fans? I'd say so.

The team has had an illness running through the roster for two weeks, maybe more. That has affected practices in terms of what they were able to do, with whom, for how long, etc. Hell, even to the point of having a coach sidelined.

The team is at the end of a tough OOC schedule, a few days before Christmas, while the rest of the study body is on break.

Given those few things, is it a wonder they were sloppy last night?

Fans? I'd say so.

The team has had an illness running through the roster for two weeks, maybe more. That has affected practices in terms of what they were able to do, with whom, for how long, etc. Hell, even to the point of having a coach sidelined.

The team is at the end of a tough OOC schedule, a few days before Christmas, while the rest of the study body is on break.

Given those few things, is it a wonder they were sloppy last night?
I guess that could explain why turnovers have not improved. If people are unable to practice they can't get better.

Back
Top Bottom