| MBB/WBB đźŹ€ No. 4/5 Alabama falls to the No. 15/15 Gonzaga 100-90 in the 2022 CM Newton Classic

They shot much better than us from the floor AND we gave them more chances to shoot.
There were a few things I noticed:
Oats was outcoached this game - timeouts..whenever we went on a minimal 6-8 point run immediately the Zags coach burned a timeout and got it to a break. We're a streaky team, and a disjointed game like that hurts us.
Turnovers - need to be better with the ball.
We're really missing the defensive side of Burnett out there, I know people said he wouldn't be guarding Timme, but honestly I think if he'd been on Timme, we would've lost by less.

Dang. Just saw the score and looked straight at the box score. 21 turnovers to 11 assists. That sucks. Seeing they scored 100, I figured either they shot the lights out or we had a ton of turnovers.

Miller looks to have had a huge game. He keeps getting better. I don’t know who is in the running for top pick in the draft, but who is out there looking better than Miller? He’s incredible.
Had to help grandaughter today. Missed game. Looks like a battle though

Got to do a better job of protecting the ball. We got to the FT line and made 80+%, but we allowed way too many floaters/tear drops in the paint. Better enjoy Miller while we have him. Kid has some serious skills.

Two games in a row giving up 88+ points and above average turnovers. They could not defend Gonzaga. Is Gonzaga that good or have we lost some effort on the D end. Hard to believe Burnett made that much of a difference but it certainly has not helped.

Self-destruct, just like a few Football games this year. Bama did a better job of defeating themselves as opposed to being beaten by the opponents. This team can go until they stop themselves.

ROLL TIDE!

Got to do a better job of protecting the ball.

Turnovers are killing us. How does Coach address this in practice?
It's addressed through practice.

Even though they both fall in the same category in the box score, and they're both related to my observation, there needs to be an asterisk beside the turnover numbers: offensive fouls versus, as @UAgrad93 mentions, protecting the ball.

How many offensive fouls yesterday? At least a half of a dozen, right?

Let me throw this out there for you guys to think about.

When JQ entered the game yesterday had had the ball just inside the top of the key (we're facing frontside in this example.) On the left, outside the lane, I think it was Gurley who was making a break around the back of the defender. JQ had a nice pass other than it was a half of a second too early: turnover. He saw the play...but the timing of his pass was off. The play and easy bucket were there but the players weren't there, just yet.

I saw the same thing with the other guys. The play is there, but they're off on their timing leaving the ball handler—sometimes off his feet—on an island, per se'.

It's not the only thing you've seen go askew this season. But I don't believe it's something to get hung up on yet. I don't see the early part of the SEC schedule as being more difficult than what this team has faced thus far: likely easier based on some of the scores I've seen.

** One more note on JQ. It's my view he's still seeing the floor as well as he did before his injury. I also believe his mind and body are quite in sync. I look at it a lot like a golf swing where a players hips are coming through late. His swing plane is perfect, set up is perfect, everything is as it should be: expect that little glitch in timing.
Oats was outcoached this game
Here's something to chew on...a bite or two.

Oat's system, based on the average number of points scored from different areas on the court, devalue the mid-range jumper the most. Bama was beaten with the mid-range jumper.

If there's a play in the history of basketball that's literally a play that can't be defended, it's the pick and roll / ball screens. Bama was beaten by one of the oldest plays in basketball. EVERY coach in the history of basketball has been out-coached, by an opposing coach whose team ran ball screens perfectly.

Staying with golf as an analogy ...

If I play a better golfer I'm not ashamed or embarrassed of losing. If a program losses to Mark Few and the Gonzaga program it's not an embarrassing loss, nor a loss where one should be ashamed.

It's addressed through practice.

Even though they both fall in the same category in the box score, and they're both related to my observation, there needs to be an asterisk beside the turnover numbers: offensive fouls versus, as @UAgrad93 mentions, protecting the ball.

How many offensive fouls yesterday? At least a half of a dozen, right?

Let me throw this out there for you guys to think about.

When JQ entered the game yesterday had had the ball just inside the top of the key (we're facing frontside in this example.) On the left, outside the lane, I think it was Gurley who was making a break around the back of the defender. JQ had a nice pass other than it was a half of a second too early: turnover. He saw the play...but the timing of his pass was off. The play and easy bucket were there but the players weren't there, just yet.

I saw the same thing with the other guys. The play is there, but they're off on their timing leaving the ball handler—sometimes off his feet—on an island, per se'.

It's not the only thing you've seen go askew this season. But I don't believe it's something to get hung up on yet. I don't see the early part of the SEC schedule as being more difficult than what this team has faced thus far: likely easier based on some of the scores I've seen.

** One more note on JQ. It's my view he's still seeing the floor as well as he did before his injury. I also believe his mind and body are quite in sync. I look at it a lot like a golf swing where a players hips are coming through late. His swing plane is perfect, set up is perfect, everything is as it should be: expect that little glitch in timing.

Oat's system, based on the average number of points scored from different areas on the court, devalue the mid-range jumper the most. Bama was beaten with the mid-range jumper.

If there's a play in the history of basketball that's literally a play that can't be defended, it's the pick and roll / ball screens. Bama was beaten by one of the oldest plays in basketball. EVERY coach in the history of basketball has been out-coached, by an opposing coach whose team ran ball screens perfectly.

If I play a better golfer I'm not ashamed or embarrassed of losing. If a program losses to Mark Few and the Gonzaga program it's not an embarrassing loss, nor a loss where one should be ashamed.
How they got so open on those mid range shots is what I am trying to understand. They had to hit the shot and they did but the defender was beaten enough for it to be an open shot. Maybe basketball guys can answer why was that?

How they got so open on those mid range shots is what I am trying to understand. They had to hit the shot and they did but the defender was beaten enough for it to be an open shot. Maybe basketball guys can answer why was that?
Front side ball screens as their first move after crossing midcourt.

Gonzaga is really impressive live. We are too honestly. I honestly thought Bediako and Clowney positioned themselves well against Timme, but his footwork is incredible. He knew exactly where to attack every time.

Also, like @TerryP said, because of Oats' system, we are pretty poor at defending the mid range. I'm also wondering why Charlie Henry didn't adjust at all throughout the entire game. But we were at the mercy of Gonzaga when Timme was just getting buckets inside, then started to open it up on the pick and roll.

Griffen needs more minutes. Wouldn't mind if we sat JQ more. He's starting to he a huge liability. Great handles, but his court vision has gotten worse. It's leading to wasted possessions and bad turnovers.

Miles needs to sit and transfer. That charge he had on a fast break was one of the worst fucking things I've ever seen. Complete garbage decision.

Lastly, I hope we as fans bring that same energy to Coleman. It was a great atmosphere. My first time back in Legacy Arena since the renovation and it's nice.

We've got a really damn good team. I hope that yesterday's loss doesn't change anyone's mind. Gonzaga gave us their best shot because they needed at win in terms of seeding more than us.

UNC, Memphis, and Houston all got big wins yesterday. Our NET is going to be incredible. If anyone hasn't noticed, Mississippi State is still undefeated. That road game vs them is going to be electric, which means the officials will absolutely favor them.

So my issue wasn't with the system, though the turnovers seem to be part of the system. My issue was with slowing them down. Gonzaga, like most teams, is streaky. When they went on a run of sorts, we sat back and tried to catch-up. Whenever we scored 6 points on a run Gonzaga's coach immediately called a timeout to slow things back down again for his team. Usually he got an official TV timeout and then they went on to pull away or stay ahead again. He did an excellent job of controlling our offense by not letting them stay in sync all night. Oats left the game with nearly all our timeouts still in hand, I thought he could've done a better job adjusting to their changes and the issues with some more timeouts and slowing the game down with Gonzaga went on runs.

So my issue wasn't with the system, though the turnovers seem to be part of the system. My issue was with slowing them down. Gonzaga, like most teams, is streaky. When they went on a run of sorts, we sat back and tried to catch-up. Whenever we scored 6 points on a run Gonzaga's coach immediately called a timeout to slow things back down again for his team. Usually he got an official TV timeout and then they went on to pull away or stay ahead again. He did an excellent job of controlling our offense by not letting them stay in sync all night. Oats left the game with nearly all our timeouts still in hand, I thought he could've done a better job adjusting to their changes and the issues with some more timeouts and slowing the game down with Gonzaga went on runs.
Few did a great job with clock and momentum management yesterday. They are, who they are, because of who he is, right? Hell of a program.

Front side ball screens as their first move after crossing midcourt.
So don't our coaches know how to adjust and defend this? Gonzaga is to good to completely shut them down but slow them down?

Miles needs to sit and transfer.
Agree with you on this. Losing Burnett hurt us. 2 games with less than stellar D. The two teams of course were really good offensive teams but still. 88 and 100 points given up is 2021 like.

If someone told me at the start of the season we would be 9-2 at this point with the murderous schedule we had not sure I would have believed it.
This team is so young big difference in playing high school ball and going up against teams like MSU, NC, Houston, UConn and Gonzaga. We lost to a very good veteran team yesterday that had a very good shooting day no shame in that. I'm very happy with this team and optimistic looking at the character of these young guys I think they grow up fast. Bradley is tough as nails. I think the ranking of the recruiting class that came in was under rated.

Last edited:
He gets away with a lot in my eyes. We all see steps and pivots differently.
I think he hooks and holds more when he pivots towards the basket. He has gotten favorable treatment his entire career. But watching him live, he is very good.

It's also evident that officials will never call a three second violation from high school to the NBA. There are multiple videos of it being blatant yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom