| FTBL Nick Saban responds to Alabama's soft schedule comments

Max

Nick Saban has long been an advocate of the SEC moving to a 9-game schedule and filling the other three schedule slots with Power 5 opponents, but Alabama's schedule has come under fire this season for its overall softness, notably from Fox Sports analyst Colin Cowherd among other national pundits.

Saban responded to Cowherd and others who have down the Crimson Tide's 2019 slate during this week's stop in Bristol, Conn. at ESPN HQ.

“I think the culture of college football would benefit if we said Power 5 teams have to play all Power 5 teams. I’ve been an advocate of this for several years,” Saban said during an appearance on ESPN’s Golic and Wingo show. “I’ve been an advocate of playing more SEC games. Well, I think you should do it like basketball, they have RPI, or whatever it’s called. And basketball says these are the teams that played the best schedule and won the biggest games. So that’s how you qualify for a bowl game, not how many games you win. So that it would be better for fans, it would be better for fan interest.

“So we’ve tried to schedule two opponents — Power Five opponents — every year. We have one time in the next 10 years, we’ve succeeded at doing that. So unless we change the culture of how we all agree to schedule, I don’t think that’s going to happen.”

Cowherd on Monday pointed to Alabama's schedule, arguably the program's most favorable in Saban's tenure, as an example this week on why fan support is diminishing on Saturdays throughout the sport during non-conference action.

“Look at Alabama’s schedule, the four games Alabama could control because the SEC hands out the schedule,” Cowherd said on The Herd. “They scheduled Duke, New Mexico State, Southern Miss and Western Carolina. I wouldn’t walk across the street to watch those games. And Nick Saban controls that. He doesn’t control the other eight, but he controls those four.

"Saban complains, 'the students aren’t coming out.’ Yeah, because they have a life. There’s options. There’s a bunch of stuff on TV and on their phones. Stop blaming the fans.”

Alabama hasn't lost a non-conference game during the regular season since falling to Louisiana Monroe during Saban's first year in 2007. The Crimson Tide has often played in made-for-TV opening weekend showdowns at neutral sites vs. Top 25 competition and won them all, but the rest of the non-conference schedule lacks, Cowherd says.

“College football coaches — schedule better games,” Cowherd said. “Stop with the 3 and 4 layups. Nobody wants to watch 55-14. It’s a rip-off for fans and I love college football. Yes, the technology doesn't help your case, but I see hockey arenas jammed. Those tickets are twice as much as yours.

"Duke, you can’t get a ticket to watch Zion (Williamson) play last year. What I see are empty seats in college football stadiums in these awful, wasted Saturdays when you’ve scheduled Panera Bread and roast beef tech. Western Carolina. Stop with the directional schools."

What Cowherd fails to mention is the level of difficulty it takes to schedule non-conference games vs. Power 5 opponents, especially when you're the Crimson Tide.

You also cant MAKE teams play you....These lower level teams love the big check. But no one wants to come to Bama and get whooped. And if are willing to play us they want 4 to 5 times what we would normally pay another team ...which is crazy. If the league stepped in and made the SEC teams play more SEC teams and had a strength of schedule Bama would still be on top every year. Imagine having to play TAM, Florida, Auburn, UGA,LSU every year our strength of schedule would be through the roof every year.

2008 - clemson - 34-10
2009 - va tech - 34-24
2010 - penn state - 24-3
2011 - @penn state - 27-11
2012 - michigan - 41-14
2013 - va tech - 35-10
2014 - west va - 33-23
2015 - wisconsin - 35-17
2016 - usc - 52-6
2017 - fsu - 24-7
2018 - louisville - 51-14

each of those games was against a power 5 opponent. and each of those games we won. some by a little, others by a lot. and in each of the games we won by a good margin, after the game, all the talking heads came out to say that "so-and-so is having a down year, this year...and that's why Alabama won."

not ONCE did they say we won because we were the better team. it was always the other team was having a down year. but all of those, with the exception of the 2 against penn state, were season openers. now tell me how they can tell how a team is doing or going to do after 1 game...THE FIRST GAME...in a season...?

after about the second time, i stopped listening to what anyone outside of my friends and people on this site had to say. Alabama will never, ever, ever get the recognition they deserve from anyone in the media. case in point, they keep bringing up the national championship game from january in which Clemson beat the crap out of us. we got outplayed and outcoached that entire game....plain and simple. we didn't lose that game, they won it....handily. and ever since then, all the media has had to say is how bad Alabama is, now, and how it's over for them and how we'll never come back and probably won't even make it to the playoffs again.

FUCK 'EM....EVERY SINGLE, GODDAMN ONE OF 'EM. i have absolutely ZERO respect for any of them and refuse to watch any of their hundred shows they put out on a daily basis. it's nothing but vile crap spewing from the dick-sucker of jealous bitches who don't even matter.

RMFT!!!!!

2008 - clemson - 34-10
2009 - va tech - 34-24
2010 - penn state - 24-3
2011 - @penn state - 27-11
2012 - michigan - 41-14
2013 - va tech - 35-10
2014 - west va - 33-23
2015 - wisconsin - 35-17
2016 - usc - 52-6
2017 - fsu - 24-7
2018 - louisville - 51-14

each of those games was against a power 5 opponent. and each of those games we won. some by a little, others by a lot. and in each of the games we won by a good margin, after the game, all the talking heads came out to say that "so-and-so is having a down year, this year...and that's why Alabama won."

not ONCE did they say we won because we were the better team. it was always the other team was having a down year. but all of those, with the exception of the 2 against penn state, were season openers. now tell me how they can tell how a team is doing or going to do after 1 game...THE FIRST GAME...in a season...?

after about the second time, i stopped listening to what anyone outside of my friends and people on this site had to say. Alabama will never, ever, ever get the recognition they deserve from anyone in the media. case in point, they keep bringing up the national championship game from january in which Clemson beat the crap out of us. we got outplayed and outcoached that entire game....plain and simple. we didn't lose that game, they won it....handily. and ever since then, all the media has had to say is how bad Alabama is, now, and how it's over for them and how we'll never come back and probably won't even make it to the playoffs again.

FUCK 'EM....EVERY SINGLE, GODDAMN ONE OF 'EM. i have absolutely ZERO respect for any of them and refuse to watch any of their hundred shows they put out on a daily basis. it's nothing but vile crap spewing from the dick-sucker of jealous bitches who don't even matter.

RMFT!!!!!

To be 100% fair, the 2015 Wisconsin game wasn't a scheduled game. It was in the Cotton Bowl as part of the playoffs.

Main difference, Michigan State fans thought they had a chance. They talked so much shit as we walked through the parking lot to get to the stadium. I didn't experience anything negative with the Wisconsin fans.

pretty much how it was down in nola when we played lsu in 2012. they were nasty, in your face, mean as hell, and talked so much shit the whole, damn day.

walking back to the truck after the game? nothing but silence from them...it was quite nice, lol.

Main difference, Michigan State fans thought they had a chance. They talked so much shit as we walked through the parking lot to get to the stadium. I didn't experience anything negative with the Wisconsin fans.

Sounds like the '86 Kickoff Classic with OSU. A lot of disrespect in the parking lot before the game. Not so much afterwards.

Bama fans could see the media ridicule coming from the moment we got the dukies in this matchup. Cowherd didn't take the OOC schedule as something that would cost us with the SOS and playoff committee. That was smart because it won't and he knows where we make up the difference. It was about fan support and giving fans the reason to keep coming to games. Overall, there's no reason to moan and groan too long on our one power 5 team each year. Mostly they've been better than any other power 5 team and will continue to be. And Cowherd knows it.

It was about fan support and student body no-shows. I'm a believer you have to continue to give fans a reason to show up 3 times a year in Tuscaloosa. The same with most of college football schedules. Shore up those 3 OOC games and see where we are in attendance. I also don't believe that will address the attendance being down from visiting teams. We are seeing that easily with SEC teams, visiting each other, including Alabama fans that aren't traveling as much. That a different problem altogether.

Another reason to beef it up and do what we can do to have sell-outs with our own fans against quality opponents.

@planomateo I remember meeting you at that game. MSU fans were quite loud - at the beginning. After the game, my buddy and I went to ring in the new year at an establishment, and as we walked in we realized three-fourths of the crowd were MSU fans. A docile bunch.

Which only shows how misinformed some are. The agreement is with the ACC.

There still would have been a moment in time when all Bama fans figured out who the opponent would be regardless of who the contract was with. It was that precise time in history when Bama fans let out a collective, Dam, not again!!

Back
Top Bottom