| FTBL Nick Fanuzzi

Bama Bo said:
Am I the only one surprised to see Fabuzzi in the game? I sure would have thought he'd have redshirted this year.

I'm with you on being surprised, but then again, thinking about it, I shouldn't be. Saban is going to bring in top tier QB's EVERY season, and he already knows who his next 2 will be. Bottom line, game experience in invaluable, even if it is just handing the ball of. That more than likely killed some butterflies that he won't have in the next situation.

Also, props to AlaphaMale who pointed out to my blind ass that he was in the game. That boys knows the 3-deep. I'm proud of him. :)

RollTideRandy said:
Could the fact he’s not being redshirted indicate that perhaps will we see some “2006 Tebow” esque formations designed for a running QB later in the season? ;scr

Good question. With Applewhite at the helm I bet there are a few suprises to come.

You have heard this before. But it Coach Saban job and I think he know what to do. And I think he(Nick Fanuzzi)did a good job too. Yes he only hand off to Upchurch. You know anything can happen so I think in the long run it was the best thing to do.

I was very surprised to see him in the game.

Help me out here. Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but could this mean Fanuzzi might be closer to McElroy than we think??

BamaDelta said:

Help me out here. Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but could this mean Fanuzzi might be closer to McElroy than we think??

I could be wrong, but I think it's more likely that it means that Fanuzzi is closer to recruits that are yet to come.

reger60 said:
BamaDelta said:

I could be wrong, but I think it's more likely that it means that Fanuzzi is closer to recruits that are yet to come.

I think reger's suggestion is the most plausible scenario. FWIW, McElroy looked great.

Tideboy said:
reger60 said:
BamaDelta said:

I think reger's suggestion is the most plausible scenario. FWIW, McElroy looked great.

I thought McElroy looked better throwing the ball than Wilson did. He looked to have more zip on the ball.

Bama Bo said:
Am I the only one surprised to see Fabuzzi in the game? I sure would have thought he'd have redshirted this year.

I think this is a different era of Tide Football. Fanuzzi is only 2 big plays or less from being our starting qb(sure he only handed off last night) .But if im the Coach, i want my 3rd guy(If he is my 3rd guy) prepared to play for situations i listed above(only 2 plays away from being on the field , and hopefully having enough game experience to do a productive job other than hand the ball off, like it was in the Coach Shula days).
I have no ill will on JPW or McElroy, (I think they can both be good qbs) But if Fanuzzi is not good enough to push the two of them(JP or Mc) for the starting position, we need to start bringing in a solid qb recruit every yr till we do.
I know we had an Ole Coach from way back(believe he wore a hounds tooth hat) who played up to 3 or 4 qbs a game .I know that was a different time. But i think its very important to have 3 guys game ready at least.

I'm not sure Fanuzzi is the future QB. With who we're recruiting, JPW only a Jr and McElroy a RS Fr, Fanuzzi will have his work cut out for him. It was an initial shock to see him play but the more I thought it about it, the more it made sense. As someone mentioned earlier, he might be our "worst case" scenario AKA Brandon Avalos and good for him to get a few reps.

RTR!

One thing that needs to be noted here...

Saban, historically, is known for not recruiting players he intends to 'shirt.

Also, the competition isn't between NF and GM, but GM and JPW. GM is the real deal...both mentally and physically.

Bamalee1 said:
Bama Bo said:

I think this is a different era of Tide Football. Fanuzzi is only 2 big plays or less from being our starting qb(sure he only handed off last night) .But if im the Coach, i want my 3rd guy(If he is my 3rd guy) prepared to play for situations i listed above(only 2 plays away from being on the field , and hopefully having enough game experience to do a productive job other than hand the ball off, like it was in the Coach Shula days).
I have no ill will on JPW or McElroy, (I think they can both be good qbs) But if Fanuzzi is not good enough to push the two of them(JP or Mc) for the starting position, we need to start bringing in a solid qb recruit every yr till we do.
I know we had an Ole Coach from way back(believe he wore a hounds tooth hat) who played up to 3 or 4 qbs a game .I know that was a different time. But i think its very important to have 3 guys game ready at least.
I agree...........Bear would have done this!........and Coach Saban knows he must have the depth at this posistion!

Saban, historically, is known for not recruiting players he intends to 'shirt.

You just said a mouthfull!!

Couldn't agree more. One thing is for sure....with all the true freshman that played last night he can walk into a recruits home and tell them that hey "You will play if your good enough and work hard. Seeing young players in the game and it not being lip service speaks volumes to these recruits.

Back
Top Bottom