| FTBL New rules place extra emphasis on kickoff returns

G

Saban looking for big returns

Kickers are putting in extra strength and conditioning time trying to compensate. Coaches are working overtime trying to come up with new schemes.

But if there is one group of players who are excited about college football's new kickoff rules, it is the return men. And the biggest beneficiary on the Alabama football team is likely to be sophomore Javier Arenas.

Good article man. I look forward to seeing Grant line up next to Arenas on kickoff returns again. I think part of the reason Arenas didn't have the numbers on kickoff was that, after Grant went down, teams tried more to kick to the other returner. If you put both he and grant back there with an extra five yard to work with, the other teams just have to pick their poison. Both are pretty darn deadly.

I am really looking forward to it. BAMA should be able to get some really good field position with those guys returning kicks.

Of course, on the flip side, other teams will have the same advantage. :?

Bamaman37 said:
I am really looking forward to it. BAMA should be able to get some really good field position with those guys returning kicks.

Of course, on the flip side, other teams will have the same advantage. :?

True, our kick coverage will really have to step it up.

In Miami, CN$ had Olindo Mare who was a special kicker in that he had dimensions that most other kickers didn't have.

a) He was in the weight room training.
b) He could tackle when needed and convincingly.
c) His leg strength was impeccible.
d) He added a quality that other players deeply respected.

So it make sense to fully address the need to target good field position on returns and target field position on the kickoff. Punting within the 10 yard line is a huge bonus... if properly executed it can make a huge impact in the outcome. An obvious fact upon further review.

I like the new rules. It will make the special teams much more important and make schools across the nation look for good quality kickers. The only down side I see is that the new rules will likely cause more injuries. Here's hoping to some big returns this year, hopefully against UT and Auburn.

BarnBurner said:
I like the new rules. It will make the special teams much more important and make schools across the nation look for good quality kickers. The only down side I see is that the new rules will likely cause more injuries. Here's hoping to some big returns this year, hopefully against UT and Auburn.

I too think you will see more injuries. Unfortunately, some of those will be to key players, because I believe the rule will force coaches to put better players on the kickoff units. If that starts to happen, expect a clamor to have the kickoff eliminated after scores. Personally I would prefer it to be that way anyway. Just have one kickoff by each team to start each half.

Back
Top Bottom