Netbook Computer

XXL TideFan

Anyone familiar with netbooks? Gonna get my 6 year old girl one of the following and install Easy Peasy Linux on it.

211275525.jpg

One of my brother's is the supervisor for the Geek Squad at Best Buy here where I live I could ask him what he thinks.

Cory

Please do.........my local best buy (Fultondale) looked at like I was from Mars when I mentioned dumping winders and installing linux. Looked like I had hair lipped the Pope when I mentioned live booting off of a usb stick to see if it would work on one of theirs.

Little guy looked like he had been bobbing for french fries anyway.

I bought an E-PC Netbook for my kid about a year ago. She was 10 and had the thing torn up within three months. My daughter is rough on her stuff, especially electronics. Even though it was no match for the wear and tear she put it through, it actually worked pretty well. It was wireless and plenty fast enough for most internet apps and was only about $300. I would buy another one. I just wouldn't let my kid touch it.

My daughter is a Sr in college and a couple of months ago her Toshiba laptop went on the fritz.

She bought an $300 Asus netbook (XP OS, 10.1 screen) and says she likes it just fine. She uses it just for school work, internet, email, etc.

Says she doesn't miss the 16" Toshiba at all.

Anyone familiar with netbooks? Gonna get my 6 year old girl one of the following and install Easy Peasy Linux on it.

211275525.jpg

I can't suggest a netbook, but I gotta say Linux FTW. The only thing I use Windows for anymore is work and games. Is easy peasy debian based? I've got an old laptop I might just try this out on, and I like the debian package manager more than redhat's.

I have an Acer netbook that I absolutely love. I use the thing all the time. The group I work with makes day trips to DC quite a bit, and the netbook is great to use in the airport and on the plane. I'm not sure about giving it to a 6-year old, but I would think it would be the way to go since it is cheaper than a laptop.

Putting Linux on it is the way to go. I have never used Easy Peasy Linux, but it does look interesting. I have Ubuntu 9.10 on mine, and I love it.

Please do.........my local best buy (Fultondale) looked at like I was from Mars when I mentioned dumping winders and installing linux. Looked like I had hair lipped the Pope when I mentioned live booting off of a usb stick to see if it would work on one of theirs.

Little guy looked like he had been bobbing for french fries anyway.

He said that's a good choice for a kid's computer. He too dumped windows for linux because he doesn't like windows at all. He said to make that purchase. Also said that he would recommend getting their geek squad black tie protection as it covers everything other than if you chuck it across the room. Hope this helps.

Cory

He said that's a good choice for a kid's computer. He too dumped windows for linux because he doesn't like windows at all. He said to make that purchase. Also said that he would recommend getting their geek squad black tie protection as it covers everything other than if you chuck it across the room. Hope this helps.

Cory

You are da man! Thanks for the info.

XXL, did you get that notebook and install Easy Peasy?

How do you like it?

About my daughter's notebook referenced above... would you recommend Easy Peasy over Vista for it? It runs ok now, but lags a little sometimes.

She also has Facebook and plays a lot of the Facebook games. Any issues there?

If battery life is important - you may want to look at a 6 cell rather than a 3 cell. You're looking at about 5 to 6 hours versus 2 to 3 hours.

I bought one for my wife last year and she loves it. Good luck!

XXL, did you get that notebook and install Easy Peasy?

How do you like it?

About my daughter's notebook referenced above... would you recommend Easy Peasy over Vista for it? It runs ok now, but lags a little sometimes.

She also has Facebook and plays a lot of the Facebook games. Any issues there?

Just got a pair in today for the kids Christmas presents. I have opted to go with Ubuntu Netbook Remix instead of Easy Peasy. Will format them tomorrow while they are at school. I am probably not objective when it comes to windows. I despised it on this laptop and replaced Vista with Ubuntu. It is an AMD64 with 2 G of RAM and it ran like my old 486. I put Ubuntu 64 on it and it is WAAAYYYYY faster.

Back
Top Bottom