| NEWS Nebraska (and former LSU and UGA) TE, Arik Gilbert, ruins his career

sk33tr

el jefe

I'll never understand what makes a young person do this. They had the potential of playing in the NFL one day. They had the potential of making millions of dollars. Yet they decide to commit a crime and ruin their career.

Sadly it seems a thug is a thug no matter how much opportunity they’re given. And just when you think this guy or that guy might be the exception, the thug in them comes to the surface. In this instance, Gilbert was blessed with just about every physical gift an elite TE can have. Yet, it’s all wasted because his mental defects overrode his physical talent.

Probably what if, could've been and etc, but had he signed with Alabama.. would've he fared better under Saban? I don't know. I don't think so.

Yep, we’ll never know. Some do, some don’t. I do feel very comfortable saying though that he couldn’t have possibly been buried behind the 8 ball of fate any worse than he was by starting his college career under Orgeron. That’s a lit match recruiting gasoline in that case.

Gilbert has mental health issues and his family is detrimental to him rather than supportive. That’s why he had to leave UGA.

He was waiting on his waiver and the NCAA didn’t do anything and I think he just felt hopeless- not diminishing what he did but he needed football to help keep him on the right track

Gilbert has mental health issues and his family is detrimental to him rather than supportive. That’s why he had to leave UGA.

He was waiting on his waiver and the NCAA didn’t do anything and I think he just felt hopeless- not diminishing what he did but he needed football to help keep him on the right track
I definitely get the mental health issues. It's serious, but it's similar to what my 13 years old is going through right now. Lot of bad decisions, etc.

He had football at LSU and at Georgia. He acted out and lost that opportunity. Didn't he have a pit stop at Florida too? The shitty part is Luke Ford who signed with Georgia out of high school played there and wanted to move back to Illinois to be able to play near his dying grandfather was rejected by the NCAA and his grandfather died before he played at down at Illinois. Now, set this right next to Gilbert being at four schools and being kicked out of each school while never technically being suspended by the NCAA, but simply waiting on eligibility at his fourth school, but immediate opportunities at all programs. He had football, he just didn't act right.

I definitely get the mental health issues. It's serious, but it's similar to what my 13 years old is going through right now. Lot of bad decisions, etc.

I think Gilbert has actual severe mental health diagnosis. I don’t comment more on it but it’s not just being dumb and making a bad decision.

And Gilbert needed to get away from the south and his family as they were adversely affecting his ability to be successful as a student and athlete

Mine was diagnosed, Defiant behavior disorder, bipolar, anxiety, depression, suicidal, socialpath, spilt personality, etc. You name it she has it. She has been to mental hospital 2 times in 9 months. Her recent manic episode caused my mom to have stroke.

So, I don't know what's going on with Arik, but His family is the root of the issue, but the issue is mostly within himself and how he copes with it, and learning to handle things the right way... We can always blame on his family and friends, but at end of the day, it has to be on him to be willing to accept help and change for better and take his meds.... I suspect that's the case here... he's not taking his meds on consistent basis.

If he had signed with Alabama, I think he would've been okay...until he get to NFL, and then it would've been an issue...

Mine was diagnosed, Defiant behavior disorder, bipolar, anxiety, depression, suicidal, socialpath, spilt personality, etc. You name it she has it. She has been to mental hospital 2 times in 9 months. Her recent manic episode caused my mom to have stroke.

So, I don't know what's going on with Arik, but His family is the root of the issue, but the issue is mostly within himself and how he copes with it, and learning to handle things the right way... We can always blame on his family and friends, but at end of the day, it has to be on him to be willing to accept help and change for better and take his meds.... I suspect that's the case here... he's not taking his meds on consistent basis.

If he had signed with Alabama, I think he would've been okay...until he get to NFL, and then it would've been an issue...
Thank you for sharing. I think the sad part here is that Nebraska was a place that could offer him the support he needed and Gilbert was accepting the help and then this event happened. What triggered this last event? Hard to say but I have some theories. And it’s just a sad situation as I think he needs the Nebraska program to help him as a person.

Sorry to hear that bubba. Really hoping it can somehow get better for you, your family, and especially your daughter.

Thoughts and prayers for your daughter. I pray that her health and situation get better.

Back
Top Bottom