| FTBL Nailing ESPN

GoodScotch

Verified Member
I liked this, figured you guys would as well.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...e_Football-ESPN_The_Ultimate_Hypocrite-110308

ESPN has done it again—reared its ugly hypocritical head.

Yes, I said it, and I mean it with every fiber of my being!

Less than one year after everyone’s beloved ESPN ripped the University of Alabama for having 92,000+ at its annual A-Day spring scrimmage, they announced that College GameDay will be at the University of Florida’s annual Orange and Blue spring game.

Excuse me?

I could not believe what I was hearing when I heard this announcement on a local sports talk radio program.

ESPN, which completely bashed the Crimson Nation last spring for falling head-over-heels for then-new head coach Nick Saban in what they classified as a “glorified scrimmage,” has now decided that spring games are important enough to merit a GameDay visit.

Well, make up your mind ESPN. Which is it—a glorified scrimmage or an event worthy of GameDay?

For the average fan, ESPN can be a lethal trap.

True, the network draws you in with flashy names and great matchups. SportsCenter has forever revolutionized the outlook and analysis of sports and the way fans view them.

But overall, ESPN had been nothing but the tractor pulling the bandwagon for so-so fans to jump aboard.

True fans know where to go to get accurate information regarding their teams, while everyone else goes to ESPN.

Sure, I watch ESPN, ESPN2, and other ESPN networks. I admit it. I’ll be the first to do so. But I do it primarily because I love sports—and unfortunately ESPN has the power to monopolize contracts for games I want to watch.

I’ll also be the first to admit that no single network has done more for the game of college football, the sport I love above all others.

However, ESPN has at the same time decided to pick and choose which parts of college football to hold up at some holy status and which parts to punch in the gut every chance it gets.

Now, I don’t want to start naming names of college football programs that ESPN has endorsed and taken in under its wing, while turning a cold shoulder to others. I will refrain from that—not because I’m afraid, but simply because that would detract from the point of this article.

I will, however, point to the fact that ESPN is good for the moment. Whatever is great now will be ESPN’s story tonight. And I guess that’s true of most media today.

However, my final words to ESPN at this time are these:

If spring games are deemed glorified practices don’t change your mind a year later for the sake of ratings. That’s what hypocrites do.

And no one wants to be labeled a hypocrite.

Hypocritical yes, but surprising? No, not to me it wasn't. I'll admit I watch ESPN, ESPNews, and at times ESPN classic, but I don't like having to watch them to get my sports. I watch gameday because I think those guys are entertaining. Although most of the time ignorant, but entertaining noetheless.

I think they'll be jumping on the Tide band wagon when we get back towards the top, but not to the extent of how they have a man crush on some other schools.

RTR,
Cory

Nate,I agree. I wish they'd show up and no one was around there little stage set up while they were broadcasting. It'd be funny and maybe a hint that their shenanningans are getting old.
But it's like ES said once we get back in to the major play we'll be the flavor for a while.

We've just got to get our act together when they are here. The atmoshere would be awesome. Then there wouldn't be anything they could say. We need to start doing the talking on the field, the rest will take care of itself. Once we get back on track, the media usually jumps on the crimson bandwagon.

Back
Top Bottom