| BSB/SB Murph, Montana, and Shipman: WCWS Presser (Murph suggests a rule change I can get behind.)

TerryP

Staff
Today I learned ...

Around the six minute mark Murph tells a story about Haylie Mc. getting a third strike in the Olympics because she stepped out of the batter's box. I wasn't aware, with the exception of foul balls, batters are required to keep one foot in the box in Olympic competition.

It's his suggest that be implemented into college ball to speed up the game (as quickly as it moves already.)

Good Saban/Fouts story in the presser ...

Today I learned ...

Around the six minute mark Murph tells a story about Haylie Mc. getting a third strike in the Olympics because she stepped out of the batter's box. I wasn't aware, with the exception of foul balls, batters are required to keep one foot in the box in Olympic competition.

It's his suggest that be implemented into college ball to speed up the game (as quickly as it moves already.)

Good Saban/Fouts story in the presser ...

It's a rule in little league. Both feet in the box, and if one is out of the box and you make contact you're out.

It's a rule in little league. Both feet in the box, and if one is out of the box and you make contact you're out.
Here a batter can not leave the box unless it's a foul ball that's been hit. One foot must remain in the box at all times.

They instituted a new rule within the last few years that one foot out of the box and contact is an automatic out. It affected the slappers role.

Here a batter can not leave the box unless it's a foul ball that's been hit. One foot must remain in the box at all times.

They instituted a new rule within the last few years that one foot out of the box and contact is an automatic out. It affected the slappers role.

Good, because I do not like slap hitters. It's within the rules, in some instances, but I believe it's a mockery of hitting. Takes good concentration, but it truly limits a player in my eyes. I have never seen consistency with a slap hitter at any level, albeit I haven't been to a lot of big amateur softball tournaments like some on here.

I think the game is plenty fast as it is….
I don’t understand all this getting the games over quicker crap. Leave the game alone. If they want to change something, do something about the half swings that turn into home runs.

And bunting doesn't?
Actually bunting n getting ball placed to be effective
It takes a lot of skill

Many may not be old ( or wise) enough to remember
But mickey mantle use to drag bunt some
Like a slap hitter he would drag the ball down first base line and wss fastt enough to beat the ball to first ( or first baseman)

Kind of a mutation between bunting and slapping

Ok. Everone is wise enough. Just not old enough cept us fewD0A602B4-2CF3-4C2E-8EBF-FC8C2446F811.jpeg

And bunting doesn't?

Bunting is strategic and only a very small part of hitting in general, not happening every at bat. You aren't sacrificing your mechanics and power when you bunt once every blue moon. Slap hitters are literally running out of the box and simply looking to tap the ball in play with no power to run out infield taps.

I'm not a fan of drag bunts as someone's entire arsenal, but we have looked into it with a struggling lefty we have on our team that is in like a 1-30 slump. Having a rough year, but fast as lightening. We have toyed with the idea of drag bunting him to get him on base, but haven't deployed it yet because mentally doing that to a nine year old wouldn't be beneficial.

As does slapping the ball and I'll argue the slap take more skill than the bunt: two moving objects versus, figuratively, one.

I agree that it does take more skill to slap hit, but you're also not able to softly hit it like a bunt, and placing a slap hit ball is far more difficult than bunting, so I imagine while bunting is easier, it's way more effective and sees a much higher rate of success. Forget the fact you can't reach the outside corner of the plate, and an effective pitcher can dial that up any time to get an easy out.

Have him bunt @BamaFan334 . Also, cut a broom handle the same length as his bat and buy some wiffle golf balls and do some side toss with him. Stress keeping nose on the ball. He starts seeing more contact, he’ll come out of the slump. Simple tee work helps as well.

Have him bunt @BamaFan334 . Also, cut a broom handle the same length as his bat and buy some wiffle golf balls and do some side toss with him. Stress keeping nose on the ball. He starts seeing more contact, he’ll come out of the slump. Simple tee work helps as well.

Yep, the bunting was our way to look into getting contact and seeing the relief of getting on base. He's a guaranteed steal at second and third with his speed. it's been tough not having him on base this year.

They, literally, are not running out of the box. That's an automatic out.

Describing the slap as ...

... far from accurate.

You took that quiet literally. Of course they're not out of the box as we JUST discussed it would be an out. Their objective is to get moving in the box to get that head start. I know what a slap hitter does.

And yes, more times than not they are weak ground balls to the infield and out more than safe. it is no different than a lazy swing in baseball on an outside pitch where there is no power and a dink hit ball in play.

And these pitchers that go on a "walk about" after every pitch...
Ridiculous...

Batters need to keep foot in batters box and pitchers need to stay in circle
And use Northwestern as the "case study" to implement both. Pitchers caught the return throw from the catcher halfway between the circle and the plate and then walked through the circle and halfway to second base before returning to the pitcher's rubber. Drove me f'ing crazy!

And the leadoff batter walked halfway to first base before circling back around to the batter's box. On. Every. Pitch! Because she was one of those damn slappers moving out of the box on every pitch. Moreso because she was a snotty bitch and that was her snotty bitch thing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom