| OT Moon Winx Lodge closing, community takes time to reflect on Crimson Tide history - ABC 33/40

B

Bama News

The Moon Winx Lodge in Tuscaloosa is closing after city officials found a number of health code violations within the buildings.

The owner of the property was notified of the closure Wednesday, March 17.

Dina Patel, the daughter of the owner Barry Patel, tells ABC 33/40 "We're going to try and open back up as soon as we can. There is no definite timeline."

Tuscaloosa City Council President Kip Tyner says the violations were in high numbers and will take a lot or work to correct.

“Power lines hanging near the ground, roach and rat infestations. Just a major number of violations and there was also suspected criminal activity as well,” said Tyner.

The motel has been standing for more than 50 years.

Many people who have lived in the Tuscaloosa community remember it as much more than an old motel.

It was the place for Crimson Tide Pride.

“That was sort of a tradition back then. The Alabama football team went to the Moon Winx when we played at home,” said Crimson Tide fam Charles Clanton.

A Friday before a home game, legendary University of Alabama football coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant is said to have wanted his players to always be focused.

That focus was often found at the Moon Winx hotel.

Clanton used to work as a police officer for the university during Coach Bryant's tenure. He remembers many fans would line the streets of the motel entrance to cheer on the team as they prepared to head to the stadium.

“It was pretty intense. It just became a setting that everybody knew they were going to be there,” said Clanton.

Tyner says he remembers the teams game day ritual as a celebration when he was a child.

“It was exciting as a kid to see. Our kids in my neighborhood, we would have our shakers and be waving and shaking out shakers at the team as they passed by,” said Tyner.

The motel is also home to the world-famous neon Moon Winx sign.

"It was featured in you know book covers, movies, magazines, even many restaurants have adopted that moon winx sign in their decor," said Tyner.

Tyner hopes something can be done to bring the motel and its iconic sign back to life.

“To make it a tourist attraction. Of course a lot of remodeling would have to be done and a lot of work but you know still to make it a place where people can stay,” said Tyner.

Pital says if they can not correct all of the violations on the property they will consider selling the motel.

Is the sign still functional? The old Big Bull Motel/Restaurant in Cropwell sold some years back and the new owner sold the neon bull sign for something like $10,000. I bet the Moon Winx would go for far more if functional.
1679149625950.jpeg

Is the sign still functional? The old Big Bull Motel/Restaurant in Cropwell sold some years back and the new owner sold the neon bull sign for something like $10,000. I bet the Moon Winx would go for far more if functional.
View attachment 23843

I don't know if it's currently functional or not, but several years ago they did attempt to sell it. I guess they didn't get the price they were looking for at the time... And I may be completely wrong on this, but I seem to remember the guys at Druid City Brewery being interested in buying it... They just moved into a new building, and it would be the perfect place for it.

I don't know if it's currently functional or not, but several years ago they did attempt to sell it. I guess they didn't get the price they were looking for at the time... And I may be completely wrong on this, but I seem to remember the guys at Druid City Brewery being interested in buying it... They just moved into a new building, and it would be the perfect place for it.
Where did they move?

O my. I remember being a little boy and when we traveled from homewood ( Birmingham) to Tuscaloosa for a visit or game. Would see sign all lite n working

Told ms50+ I always wanted to stay there. One time in my life. She said hellNo!

@It Takes Eleven
I lived in anniston when that was built and opened. It was only burger joint ... then
I always remembered a friend of mine had a dad i volved in opening it. But I stopped and found that to not be case
Cool sign.

Back
Top Bottom