| FTBL Michigan unviels a new student seating policy: makes a lot of sense to me

TerryP

Staff
ANN ARBOR -- Still confused about the Michigan football program's new general admission student ticket policy?

The athletic department has you covered -- with a virtual guide.

Michigan posted all the details of its new student ticket policy on its official web site Wednesday, including a re-branding of the prime first-come, first-serve seats near the field.

Starting at 7 a.m. on gamedays (for noon and 3:30 p.m. kickoff times), students can line up in a designated queue area for general admission seating. Students may line up at 11 a.m. for games beginning later than 3:30 p.m. The best seats in the student area -- the lower 22 rows in four of the five sections, except the section reserved for the band -- are now known as: "H, O, K and E."

Sound familiar?

The student entrance will be at Gate 10. The new "student queue" line will run from the stadium heading north on Greene Street.

Students will not be allowed to camp out overnight prior to the day of a game.

Once the students are lined up, they will select from a series of designated "chutes," which correlate with one of the four different student section areas, to stand in. The students will then be given wristbands to show which section they'll be sitting in.

All seats will be handed out based on the students' position in line. First come, first serve. Once all of the "H, O, K, E" wristbands are given out, students will then be given general admission tickets for the remaining seats in the section.

Three hours prior to kickoff, students who were in line early enough to receive wristbands will be permitted to head to their section.

The new general admission policy, and a 23 percent hike in overall cost, was introduced in April by the Michigan athletic department.
This is a sharp contrast to the old "reserved seating" policy Michigan used to implement for students on gamedays.

Michigan athletic director Dave Brandon has said the new policy is geared toward getting the student section full prior to kickoff each Saturday -- something that was a major issue for Michigan last season.

"If you pay a price for a ticket, how much of an investment are you making in that ticket?" Brandon said at the time. "We did a study to find out what other schools are charging for student tickets, because maybe we're too low. Maybe one of the reasons students aren't showing up is because they feel like they haven't made enough of a significant investment in the ticket.

"That wasn't our motivation. Our motivation was to get the students into the seats and be there to support the team."

To be honest, I felt our tuition was enough of an investment to where tickets should either be free or SIGNIFICANTLY reduced. I have an issue with students getting tickets and turning right around and selling them for over $500 when you have tons of other students that would kill to get into the game. I like the fact that Alabama offers the ticket transfer and donation bank in case a situation arises, but there needs to be something in place to keep students from getting tickets and using them as a crutch for profit. Before any snarky remarks, I am a Business major in Management and Accounting, so I understand making profit, but as a big time major football fan I want to be at every game and not have my peers getting tickets they don't want from the university and making people pay a premium.

Michigan had awful student turnout, as a lot of programs have shown a decline. I will go to the game 100% of the time, but tailgating is apart of it as well, so it's unfortunate you have to wait in line for three freaking hours to get a decent seat. They need to find a way to reserve you a seat much like they do season ticket holders. Just my two cents on the matter.

I hope Alabama changes as well. The student section has been embarrassing to say the least. I say cut into the amount of available seats for students and give those to the MASSES of fans waiting in Tide Pride. The University already made some "shots across the bow" type comments last season so I'm sure they will be watching very closely this season. If students don't show support then don't be surprised when availability declines....

Back
Top Bottom