| FTBL Melvin Ray Almost Certain to Play Major League Ball

.361 batting average, six home runs and 26 RBIs?

Unless he played in less than a dozen games, something ain't adding up here. Those are pretty good numbers for a HS player, but not nearly enough to justify an early round pick in the draft. Either I'm missing something, or someone(s) is leading them on about how early he might be drafted (which isn't that uncommon).

Porter said:

Unless he played in less than a dozen games, something ain't adding up here. Those are pretty good numbers for a HS player, but not nearly enough to justify an early round pick in the draft. Either I'm missing something, or someone(s) is leading them on about how early he might be drafted (which isn't that uncommon).

youre right porter, it is not uncommon for "people" to mislead youngsters on the draft. it is very easy to get lost in the minor league system. i really hope he has someone that knows what they're talking about helping him out, and not just looking at dollar signs. which it sounds like he does have people who have been down that road before so thats good. but like you said, the stats dont seem to add up for a top 5 round type pick. maybe there is more to it than im seeing. either way, best of luck to him, hope to see at the capstone soon.

its not really a bad situation to be in :wink: good for him.

I haven't done an exhaustive search by any means, but none of the usual sites that cover the MLB draft are talking about him as an early selection. I hope he gets good advice on this. It doesn't look like the Destin Hood situation where there will be serious money on the line.

Porter said:

I can't speak for HS baseball, but as of last week, there were over 50 players in NCAA Div 1 batting OVER 400, so no that's not that big a deal. Perhaps he has alot of stolen bases to go with that? A high On base percentage?

I searched for him at Baseball America and he is in their database but has no grade. (They use a star system)

FWIW: Destin Hood is a 5-star player - meaning he's projected to be a 1st or 2nd round draft pick.

After reading the article I searched for the two guys who are on Ray's team that were also mentioned in the article.

Dayne Read - 3 star (top 25 rounds)
Tyson Workman - 5 star (top 2 rounds)

It's mentioned in the article that Ray was told that he'd be drafted somewhere between the 1st and 4th rounds. That doesn't sound right at all. I'm not sure if Ray got some terrible info, the person telling him that thought he was talking to Workman, or the writer has confused Ray and Workman.

In any event the MLB draft is different than the other drafts, so don't spend too much time worrying whether or not Melvin will get to campus. He'll probably be drafted late and get little to no money and decide to come to Alabama.

Don't worry about Destin Hood too much either because he's going to play baseball. He looked great in the state championship game (football) and would have been a tremendous addition to the football team but he'd be crazy to turn down the $$$ from whichever team drafts him.

Back
Top Bottom