| FTBL meaningful discussion

New Era...

Bamram007 here's the facts. We wished him well. We wanted so much to believe that he could get the job done. CMS in reality was like family member that everyone liked, but cringed when he did something stupid. Darby up the middle was not the answer. We watched every play, hung on every down and hoped that the next play or decision was not like the last. We begged the TV to produce a diferent outcome. We cussed and even threw things in disgust. Yes Bamram, we wanted...but did not get. He refused to listen. He refused to change. But that doesn't take away the fact that, yes, he was one of us. He did things his way, but it was NOT the right way. We thank him for the effort and no one can ever say the didn't try...he did. BUT he also failed. When given a choice..he made it. We are Alabama Fans. We expect the best and disappointed when we don't get the product that is Alabama Football. CMS got what he deserved because he refused to change. So the powers to be changed it for him, Now, and that is the key word, NOW we are back to where we hope will be a new era in Bama Football. We have a proven coach. Let us not forget the past, but build on it. We are at the threshold of something we have not had in a long time. We feel as if we have someone to believe in again. A new era has begun. Roll Tide!!!

Re: New Era...

Portside said:
Bamram007 here's the facts. We wished him well. We wanted so much to believe that he could get the job done. CMS in reality was like family member that everyone liked, but cringed when he did something stupid. Darby up the middle was not the answer. We watched every play, hung on every down and hoped that the next play or decision was not like the last. We begged the TV to produce a diferent outcome. We cussed and even threw things in disgust. Yes Bamram, we wanted...but did not get. He refused to listen. He refused to change. But that doesn't take away the fact that, yes, he was one of us. He did things his way, but it was NOT the right way. We thank him for the effort and no one can ever say the didn't try...he did. BUT he also failed. When given a choice..he made it. We are Alabama Fans. We expect the best and disappointed when we don't get the product that is Alabama Football. CMS got what he deserved because he refused to change. So the powers to be changed it for him, Now, and that is the key word, NOW we are back to where we hope will be a new era in Bama Football. We have a proven coach. Let us not forget the past, but build on it. We are at the threshold of something we have not had in a long time. We feel as if we have someone to believe in again. A new era has begun. Roll Tide!!!

Why do you only have 5 posts? Good summary man! Keep posting! ;tr

Shula

I think Shula was a good coach, but I don't think he fit the alabama profile. He probably should have been given another year, but he wasn't, and probably wouldn't have lasted much longer. Saban is definately a better college coach, and if boosters want to shell out all that money, thats fine with me.

bamarama007 said:
Watching ESPN right now and they seem to think 9 wins under Saban is doable, I do too!,I still remember Shula stating that he based alot of his decisions on guidance from Mal Moore

Interesting change in direction from you all of a sudden. ;sus

What change and in what way i've stated before that I thought Shula would win 8 games this year and I expect Saban to at least match that! The stable wasn't empty when he took over ............also I was made aware of the 3 strike rule and I love Bama football and this site is very informative

I wanted Shula to succeed and believed that the 2005 season was the turning point to greater things. The 2006 season changed all of that. The two things that drove me nuts were his insistance on retaining Bob Connelly as the O-line coach and NOT letting Dave Rader run the offense.

When he as fired, I was pretty concerned that we may have jumped the gun....particularly after the Rich Rodriquez turn down. The we landed Saban and all my fears were assuaged.

I think Shula is a nice guy, and I really wish him well. What's done is done, and Nick Saban is our coach. I don't think we could have asked for anyone better to lead us forward.

Other things have come to light since CMS' departure, particularly regarding lack of discipline and selective enforcement of workout rules for selective players that reinforce the decision to terminate him...although the Bob Connelly mess was reason enough.

We continue to beat a dead horse, but I'll throw my 2 cents in anyway.....

I was against Shula being let go. I honestly felt like he deserved another year. I also felt like the UA administration was not capable of doing what needed to be done, that they (once again) would hire someone they could control (which would continue the never-ending carosal of coaches). When RR turned us down, I was certain that my position was correct. BUT.....

I WAS WRONG!!!!!! I admit it. Mal got it right, period, end of story. For the first time since Bear, we have a capable coach that is in complete control of the program. With Saban, the possibilities are endless. He'll make believers of everyone in due time.

ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!!

Though no scandal is looming there is an eerie similarity between DuBose and Shula. Both are family and both had notable accomplishments as players. Both were very well thought of as position coaches in the NFL. Both were initially very well received by the Bama family. Unfortunately both of them showed that they were not able to grasp the levers of the machine firmly as a head coach and let the team slip off course. I do think that CMS would have had a better record this year than last, based on JPW having a full year's starting behind him and a favorable tilt in the schedule that brings Arkansas, Georgia, Tennessee and LSU to BDS. Looking beyond this season though, I can't kid myself that Shula (who is not a bad recruiter) would have been able to round up the kind of class that Saban seems to have lined up, and I just can't picture CMS leading us back to the upper tier of teams. Since the upper tier is our goal a change had to be made, and sooner rather than later.

As some one said. Let Coach Shula go he isn't our coach anymore. We all can't say what coach Shula would have done this year. Because he isn't coaching Alabama this year Coach Saban is. At around 9:30 pm CST. We can talk about Coach Saban first game as Alabama coach.

psychojoe said:
Though no scandal is looming there is an eerie similarity between DuBose and Shula. Both are family and both had notable accomplishments as players. Both were very well thought of as position coaches in the NFL. Both were initially very well received by the Bama family. Unfortunately both of them showed that they were not able to grasp the levers of the machine firmly as a head coach and let the team slip off course. I do think that CMS would have had a better record this year than last, based on JPW having a full year's starting behind him and a favorable tilt in the schedule that brings Arkansas, Georgia, Tennessee and LSU to BDS. Looking beyond this season though, I can't kid myself that Shula (who is not a bad recruiter) would have been able to round up the kind of class that Saban seems to have lined up, and I just can't picture CMS leading us back to the upper tier of teams. Since the upper tier is our goal a change had to be made, and sooner rather than later.
Very good observations!

Back
Top Bottom