| BSB/SB ⚾ Manhattan College vs Alabama : Alabama sweeps weekend series

I know there's only like 5 people here that follow UA baseball with more than a drive-by's amount of interest. Personally, I'm looking forward to this new season, this new era. There's an energy around the team and program that I personally haven't really seen before, at least since the early Gaspard seasons. I think Vaughn did about as well as could be asked for filling the holes that were left from last year, and there were several of them... guys to the draft and guys transferring out for more money. Just with the transfers alone, UA lost a massive bat with Colby Shelton going to Florida and lost 2 very valuable arms with frontline starter Luke Holeman and gas throwing reliever Kade Woods both going to LSU. The good news on the pitching side of things, Alabama was/is deep in arms. If the key guys can stay healthy, they'll be ok there. The lineup has some speed and some pop in it. It isn't where he needs to be overall in terms of SEC firepower, but it isn't awful.

On this weekend's starters...

Fri- RHP Ben Hess (Jr.)... Hess was a weekend starter last year who now moves up into the Friday spot. He's is a hard thrower, with an electric fastball that was hitting 95 last season to go along with a good slider, curve and change. He had a flexor strain mid season last year that shelved him down the stretch... but before that, he progressed nicely and worked his way up the ladder very quickly. He finished 4-0 (7 starts) with a 3.22 ERA. Opposing hitters batted just .215 off of him.

Sat- RHP Riley Quick (So.)... Quick is a true sophomore. He threw a good amount of innings out of the pen last year as a freshman, but he's built to be a starter. Really looking forward to seeing him take the next step. His fastball last year was topping out at 95. This past fall, it was hitting 98. What makes him special is the movement, specifically the heavy sink on his fastball. He's also developing a nasty slider that sits in the low 90's. He's a strikeout, groundout pitcher who can get out of jams quickly. His control last year was a little bit of an issue, but he seemed to get dialed in the longer he was in the game (which bodes well for a guy who will be starting now). If he can stay ahead of hitters as a starter and keep developing his change up the way he did his slider and fastball, he's going to be an absolute stud much sooner than later.

Sun-RHP Aiden Moza (Jr.)... Moza transferred in from UAB before last season. He was a key piece out of the Tide bullpen in '23 after starting off the year recovering from an injury. He finished 3-1 in 14 relief appearances, many of which were high leverage situations, with a very respectable 3.09 ERA. Moza offers a good 4 pitch mix... fastball in the low 90's, really good curveball, slider, and changeup. Sounds like the Sunday spot is his for the taking, but some other arms are waiting in the wings if needed.

Closer- LHP Alton Davis (So.)... Vaughn mentioned Davis in that linked interview above... basically teased him as an option for the Sunday starter spot (which I was hoping he'd get this year). Regardless, Down the road, Davis is destined for an early weekend rotation slot, but his value as closer right now is tremendous. I won't hide the fact that he's my favorite player on the team. Like Quick, he was a freshman last year who came in and made the most of his opportunity. He ascended into the closer's role during the year, riding his raw talent but gifted arm. I can't wait to see how much he's improved over the summer/fall. The tall lefty was topping out at 97 with his fastball late in the in '23 season. He also throws a nasty slider, a changeup, and a developing knee-buckler curve. If he can stay on track, and keep improving his pitch location, he's going to be a future top pick.

Plenty of other good arms too, but those are the 4 I've highlighted. Would be happy to talk about the others and share what I know or have seen early on from this squad, but not sure the interest is there to go much deeper. Regardless, a clearer picture will emerge over the next 2 weeks in some areas. I'll be at The Joe tomorrow for game 1... can't wait.

I know there's only like 5 people here that follow UA baseball with more than a drive-by's amount of interest.
It was easy to follow the program closely when I was in town. Now? Not so much when a lot of my attention is also drawn towards SB.

Saturday looks to be a ... day? I don't have a problem with weather in the 40's. Don't like it, but I can deal with the cold.

Sitting and watching a game with the temp in the low to mid 40's? Maybe when I was younger...

A LOT of energy in that interview with Vaughn.

It was easy to follow the program closely when I was in town. Now? Not so much when a lot of my attention is also drawn towards SB.

Saturday looks to be a ... day? I don't have a problem with weather in the 40's. Don't like it, but I can deal with the cold.

Sitting and watching a game with the temp in the low to mid 40's? Maybe when I was younger...

A LOT of energy in that interview with Vaughn.

The only good news about Saturday is it went from "cold and rain all day" earlier this week to "just a little rain early but then just cold". I don't mind the cold, but would rather the wind not be blowing constantly. That is what irritates me.

Hell, it may be worse here. I'm seriously considering planting some evergreens in and around the back yard to serve as a windbreak in the winter.
Wow. When I read that earlier post I thought about the two fields I'm at a lot: CSU's and CoC's.

CSU? No matter the wind, you really don't feel in the stands. NOW, when the ball gets above the tree line?

CoC? Great on a nice evening in the summer. But on a day Saturday looks to be? HELL NO!

CSU, then CoC.

Screenshot 2024-02-15 6.53.40 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-15 6.55.01 PM.png

The Crimson Tide kicked off the Rob Vaughn era in shutout fashion

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. –
No. 17 Alabama opened the 2024 campaign with a 4-0 win over the Manhattan Jaspers on Friday afternoon at Sewell-
Thomas Stadium.

Alabama's offense wasted no time on Opening Day, plating a pair of runs in the first thanks to a throwing error by Manhattan. The Crimson Tide followed with another two-spot in the home half of the third, highlighted by doubles from TJ McCants and Ian Petrutz to move the lead to 4-0, the eventual final.

Ben Hess (1-0) picked up the win with a strong start, tossing 4.0 scoreless frames. He allowed just one hit and issued two walks while punching out nine, including the first six batters he faced. Hess turned the ball over to the duo of Hagan Banks and Braylon Myers who combined for six strikeouts over the final 5.0 innings to secure the shutout victory.

McCants led the offense with a 2-for-4 day that included the double, two runs and a pair of stolen bases. Evan Sleight also finished with two hits, going 2-for-4 with an RBI.

From Head Coach Rob Vaughn

"Our pitching was elite tonight. I told our arms that the starting pitcher really sets the tone for the whole game. (Ben Hess) did an unbelievable job, not just with the success he had, but in staying on the attack and setting the tone for what we're going to be – not only during this game but also for this year. He was absolutely outstanding, as was Hagan Banks. Then, (Braylon Myers) comes into a mess there and quiets it real quick while executing his pitches."

Sure would be great to see Bama Baseball get back to upper echelon. Baseball was always my 2nd favorite sport after football. Stopped watching all pro sports so would be nice to see a strong product in Tuscaloosa. Also, found out yesterday a previous coworker that I met for lunch has a son that is a freshman on the team.

Back
Top Bottom