| NEWS Mac Jones after Alabama win: 'We've gotta get better' - 247 Sports

B

Bama News

Mac Jones is a humble quarterback. It appears all signal callers under Nick Saban at Alabama are every single season.

After replacing Tua Tagovailoa this season, Jones is off to a hot start and suddenly, he’s getting high praise from around college football media, including Paul Finebaum. However, Jones isn’t letting that praise get to his or his team’s head through two games.

Speaking on ESPNU Radio on Sunday morning, Jones said despite two victories, the team still needs to get better.

“I feel like it's always been that way,” Jones said. “When Tua was here, I had great relationships with everybody. My offensive line did a great job protecting me. They've done that for the past four years since I've been here. When I was in the game or with other quarterbacks. Those guys do their job and we have the best playmakers, best running backs and tight ends. Really we've been working for the past four years and now we're starting to see some of those things coming together but like I said, we've got to watch the film and just see what we can improve on because we’ve gotta get better.”

Jones was solid in the season opener against Missouri as well, completing 18 of 24 passes for 249 yards and two touchdowns with zero interceptions. On Saturday afternoon, Jones completed 20 of 27 passes for 435 yards and four touchdowns with one interception.

During Sunday morning’s edition of ESPN’s SportsCenter, l Finebaum talked about how much Jones has impressed him so far this season.

“It’s impossible to look past Kyle Trask because he’s been absolutely outstanding. But to me, I’m a little surprised and pleased with Mac Jones,” Finebaum said. “Remember, he was the understudy to Tua last year at Alabama. When Tua went down, nobody thought Alabama could do very much. Mac Jones has played very well here. He has been almost perfect. He’s got a five-star quarterback behind him nipping at his heels, Bryce Young the best quarterback in the country last year in high school right now has no path to the starting job. Mac Jones has been unbelievably good.”

After yesterday’s game, Jones talked about what motivates him.

“Everyone wants to talk and say that Alabama’s not back,” Jones said. “I think we’ve proved in the first few games that we’re improving and we just have to continue to do that. There’s nothing to it. You can’t go in there and be emotional and stuff. Just do your job. That’s what I tell everybody. I think the defense would say the same, just do your job every play and don’t make it emotional. Just play with emotion and don’t be emotional.”

No. 2 Alabama (2-0) is scheduled to take on Ole Miss on the road this coming week at 6 p.m. ET.

“It’s impossible to look past Kyle Trask because he’s been absolutely outstanding. But to me, I’m a little surprised and pleased with Mac Jones,” Finebaum said. “Remember, he was the understudy to Tua last year at Alabama. When Tua went down, nobody thought Alabama could do very much. Mac Jones has played very well here. He has been almost perfect. He’s got a five-star quarterback behind him nipping at his heels, Bryce Young the best quarterback in the country last year in high school right now has no path to the starting job. Mac Jones has been unbelievably good.”

ESPN is pushing Trask and I get it; he's done well this year. It makes perfect sense for Finebaum to be echoing their sentiments.

But, the fan in me reads this and says, "hang on a minute." "Another level" compared to whom? He only leads Mac in TD's (sans attempts.)

1.jpg

Cause Mac is playing damn good....
Want to see how he does against an elite D. We saw some of that last year and it is was pretty good but had some ups and downs. How much has he grown? I suspect his decision making will me much improved. Hopefully his accuracy will not dip significantly in those situations. The O-Line has given Jones a ton of time and a nice pocket to step up into. Will not always be that way.

Last edited:
with this oline, Why?
The oline is good but against elite D's that have great cover skills and can dial up exotic pressure packages because of their athletes it is inevitable there will be games where he will not have as much time to throw. Not a stretch to think that. Doesn't mean they will fall apart but it will not be as easy at it has been the last two games.

Back
Top Bottom