| NEWS LSU under federal investigation for 'safety practices' after sexual assault complaints - The Advocate

S

SEC Sports

LSU is under investigation by the U.S. Department of Education over potential violations of the Clery Act, which requires universities to report crimes that occur on campus and to address incidents of sexual violence.

Two sources close to the investigation confirmed their knowledge of it to The Advocate | The Times-Picayune on Friday.

"The Department of Education has notified the university that they will be investigating their safety practices," one of the sources with direct knowledge of the investigation said.

An LSU spokesman said Friday that he was not immediately aware of the investigation, but that he would look into it.

The investigation was triggered after several women came forward with allegations that they were sexually assaulted or abused by LSU students and athletes, but said that LSU officials failed to fully investigate their complaints.

LSU has commissioned its own investigation from the law firm Husch Blackwell over potential violations of Title IX, the federal law that prevents universities from discriminating against students based on their gender. The Husch Blackwell report is expected to be completed later this month.

USA Today first reported last year that LSU had botched investigations into rapes and domestic violence incidents involving student-athletes, including former Washington Football Team running back Derrius Guice and former LSU wide receiver Drake Davis. Several other women also said that LSU did not thoroughly investigate their allegations of sexual misconduct involving non-athletes as well. And The Advocate reported last year that even when LSU found students responsible for violating Title IX, the university issued weak punishments in many instances.

It is more than O. Wade also. This seems to be institutional/cultural.
I think we can leave "seems to be" out of the conversation. Let me get back to that in a second.

You mention Wade and you're right about their attention also being on the basketball program. I was told awhile back it was their early intent to sacrifice the basketball program if that alleviated some of the forthcoming penalties.

Now ...cultural, institutional:

Caveat: It's the Internet, and it's on social media platforms (like this one, a message forum, and like Twitter, Facebook, et. al.)

I can't tell you how many times I've seen interactions between LSU fans and their rivals. I've participated in those conversations, on LSU forums, and have witnessed this countless times. And it's one of the reason I stopped participating in these LSU platforms.

When it came to "rival smack talk," instead of using things that have happened on the field of play, habitually you'll see LSU fans throwing "cousin/sister ____ " and other incestual based comments. A good majority of their retorts fall into a sexual context; and not a good one.

IF the fan base is so comfortable with that and it's a habit, how is this story about what's happening on campus any different? It isn't. It's a purposeful disregard of the seriousness of the situation that's explained under the guise of "it's just a joke."

And what's the old adage? A good joke always has elements of the truth?

Cultural. I know of no other way to describe this. (And by no means am I lumping all LSU fans into this. It is undeniable it's prevalent.)

@TerryP
So...the question is....this in bball has been going on awhile .... and now its investigating safety practices?....
It was fbi earlier investigating players n coach....but now its safety practices...
I dont follow like some...so is it just fluff....innuendoes.... and talk?

I dont follow like some...so is it just fluff....innuendoes.... and talk?
The Clery Act is no freakin' joke. It's worse than Auburn losing their accreditation from SACS a few years ago. It's directly linked to Title IV as well.

We're literally talking about:

Millions in fines for the Clery violations. Add in Title IV and the dollar figure grows. If the Clery charges are substantial enough then we're taking about losing federal funding.

Probation then rears its ugly head. They've already self-imposed sanctions while refusing to work with the committee.. So now we're looking at more fines, along with more scholarships lost, along with probation, and likely a few "show cause" stipulations added in.

Visits will be cut, off campus recruiters will be cut ...

The Clery Act is no freakin' joke. It's worse than Auburn losing their accreditation from SACS a few years ago. It's directly linked to Title IV as well.

We're literally talking about:

Millions in fines for the Clery violations. Add in Title IV and the dollar figure grows. If the Clery charges are substantial enough then we're taking about losing federal funding.

Probation then rears its ugly head. They've already self-imposed sanctions while refusing to work with the committee.. So now we're looking at more fines, along with more scholarships lost, along with probation, and likely a few "show cause" stipulations added in.

Visits will be cut, off campus recruiters will be cut ...
All of this and more would be justified if the allegations are true. Just like it was for Penn State. There is paying recruits which is wrong but having a culture that is ok with women being raped that is criminal and should be treated accordingly. Eventually just like with Miami this low character culture will be exposed and implode.

Back
Top Bottom