| FTBL Life after AJ

PhillyGirl

http://www.rollbamaroll.com/2013/10...rron-alabama-football-quarterback-jacob-coker

It's a bye week, which means our overactive football minds are inevitably scrambling for some topic to talk about. Well, what better topic is there than the future of the quarterback position at Alabama?

Yes, AJ McCarron is still on campus, and yes, it is premature to start talking about his successor, but that's what we do here.

Before we get to that, though, let's take a brief look at how ridiculously irreplaceable AJ will have made himself by the end of his career. AJ is already in the Bama record books as having the most total yardage in a season, and within the next couple of games, he'll almost certainly become number one in total yardage and passing yardage in a career. He's already number 1 in total touchdowns in a single season, and whole career. He's not just being bailed out by superior talent, though, as reflected by his number 1 ranking in career pass completion percentage (66.7% (minimum of 200 completions)) and number 1 ranking in lowest interception percentage (both single season and career).

The TL:DR of the previous paragraph - AJ's pretty dang good. With that in mind, the next quarterback for the Crimson Tide will certainly be facing quite the measuring stick. So let's take a look at who might be taking on that challenge.
[h=4]The Somewhat Known Commodities[/h] Blake Sims - Blake is a fourth year junior, and we've seen a good bit of him over the last couple of years. He had a dreadful A-Day game this past April, but his in-game numbers have actually been pretty decent. His career numbers are right at 60% completion percentage, at 11 yards per completion, with two touchdowns and no interceptions.

Blake's throwing mechanics were about as bad as they get in this year's A-Day game, but he seems to have shown a bit of development in this area during live action this year. Of course, it must be considered that Blake hardly ever faces the opponents' first string defense, and has never been in a game when the result was still in doubt. Still, given his experience, Blake is probably the odds-on favorite to start next season as Bama's quarterback.

Alec Morris - Alec is a redshirt freshman (3 star player from Allen, Texas) that has yet to see the field. Considering the fact that the only other eligible player this year (because of redshirts) is Blake Sims, it is really telling that Morris hasn't taken a snap. Unfortunately, at this point, I would be highly surprised to see Morris still on the team this time next year, much less actually captaining the team.
[h=4]The Mystery Newbloods[/h] Luke Del Rio - Del Rio joined the team as a walk on this past spring, and in the process declined scholarship offers from Oregon State and Oklahoma State. There has been a lot of positive chatter surrounding Del Rio, and it sounds like he might even be the backup this year, if not for the fact that we're trying to redshirt him. At any rate, he's supposedly third on the depth chart right now, and that means you have to think he's at worst right behind Blake Sims when it comes to fighting for the job next spring.

Cooper Bateman - Cooper was a four star player out of Salt Lake City, Utah, and his currently sitting out his freshman year as a redshirt. This is where the "mystery" portion comes into play. Bateman clearly has the credentials, as he is the highest rated quarterback currently on the roster that isn't named "AJ McCarron". However, it seems that Luke Del Rio may have passed him, despite the fact that they both arrived early to go through spring ball. While Del Rio seemingly has the early lead, it's still way too early to count out Bateman, and we may end up with a pretty close battle between those two, as they struggle to simultaneously top each other and overtake Blake Sims.

Parker McLeod - McLeod was a three star quarterback out of Marietta, Georgia, and is currently sitting out his freshman year as a redshirt. If you want to predict Parker's career path, go read up on Phillip Ely. They both came in very lightly regarded, no one expected either to actually be the "guy" at any point in their career, and within two years, they're somewhere else. If McLeod is in Tuscaloosa this time next year, I'll be surprised. If he's there two years from now, I'll be utterly amazed. I really don't mean that as a slight to McLeod, it's just that the position is frankly overcrowded at the moment, and there is just little chance that he'll ever see the field at this rate.

David Cornwell - Cornwell is a four star recruit from Norman, Oklahoma that has committed to sign with the Tide this February. I mentioned Bateman's credentials, and had to qualify it with the phrase "currently on the roster" because of this guy. Cornwell's credentials are even better than AJ's were coming out of high school, as he is considered anywhere from the 2nd to 5th best pro-style QB, and is roughly one of the top 50 players in the nation. For comparison, according to Rivals, AJ was the 7th best pro-style QB and was the 128th best player in the nation.

One major caveat here - Cornwell tore his ACL a few of weeks ago, and is thus sitting out the rest of his senior season. Reports are that he still intends to enroll early, and should be ready to participate in spring ball. While Cornwell certainly has the look of the quarterback of the future, I'm not counting on him getting his number called next year. The fact that he's coming off of an injury, that he's a true freshman, and that we have a number of more experienced guys already in the queue makes me think it's unlikely.

[h=4]The Wildcard[/h] If I'm being completely honest, this is the category that was the impetus for writing this piece. Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you, The Wildcard...

Jacob Coker

If you haven't heard of him, Jacob Coker is currently a redshirt sophomore at Florida State University.
Coker is a quality player, that has decent experience, and good mobility. And if rumors are to be believed, that mobility extends beyond the playing field and may include an ability to freely transfer wherever he likes after this December. The rumor is that Coker is set to graduate in December, and will thus be eligible to transfer anywhere as a grad student without having to sit a year.
Now, if you're up to date on your SEC rules, you may be asking, "Wait a minute. I thought the SEC outlawed the graduate-exception rule that allowed a player to come in and play immediately after graduating?" Well, here's the thing, that rule applies to four year graduates, meaning graduates that only have one year of eligibility left. Graduates that have two years left? Best I can tell from the SEC rule book, that's still fair game.
14.1.15 Two-Year Eligibility. A student-athlete who, upon enrollment at the certifying institution, has less than two years of eligibility remaining, is not eligible for financial aid, practice or competition at the member institution.
I got in touch with Bud Elliot from Tomahawk Nation to ask him about the Jacob Coker situation, and while he wasn't able to comment on the veracity of the rumors that Coker is set to graduate this December (citing educational privacy issues), he was able to give us an assessment of Coker, since they evaluated him for months while Coker and Jameis Winston competed for the starting role:
Coker has one of the strongest arms in all of college football. He's a quiet kid, but is well liked. And he's surprisingly mobile for his excellent size. He battled in the fall after being injured in the spring. He did outplay Winston at times, though some of that had to do with Winston screwing around and throwing picks.
If he can for sure graduate, I think Bama will be an option.
Now, we still don't know for certain that Coker is going to graduate. I couldn't find any official confirmation of that. If he were to graduate and transfer, though, that could provide an incredible bridge for the quarterback position. Plug a talented and experienced Coker in for the next two years, and then let the super-talented trio (Bateman (RS SO), Del Rio (RS SO), and Cornwell (RS FR)) duke it out.
Sound like a plan?

Oh yeah, did I mention that Jacob Coker went to high school at Saint Paul's Episcopal in Mobile, the same high school where AJ played? Who better to follow AJ McCarron's footsteps than the guy that has already done it once?

All record stats taken from RollTide.com

It is telling that every QB snap taken this season that wasn't taken by AJ was taken by Sims. There have been several opprotunities to get Morris on the field, but it has not happened. It is hard not to draw the conclusion that the staff has decided that Morris won't be the guy next year, at least not without some big time improvement.

I said this before...I don't understand CNSs love affair for Sims or Dee Hart for that matter. He's shown to be ruthless with under-performing guys in the past. After watching the A-day game this year, Alec Morris had obvious command of the field with great arm strength. Im baffled as to why he hasn't been developed in a different direction. Del Rio seems to have intangibles, very talented and should be a great choice. He seriously remains me of B. Favre when he was at Southern Miss. He may be too much Manzeilesque for CNSs liking and this may be all for moot if his daddy gets the HC job at USC. I think come spring that Morris will be the man and Sims will continue to be second or third.

lol I love the questioning of Sims playing and the "love affair" for him by people that have seen a total of probably 4 minutes of game action from these quarterbacks that they're just soooooo sure are the answer... yeah lets not trust the decision making of the staff that sees these QBs every single day on the field and in preparation... Sims looks extremely improved in his technique, how bout the one pass he threw against Tennessee? It wasnt there so he threw it away as opposed to doing what he did at A-Day and toss it to a defender...

I'm interested in that transfer, haven't heard a word about him. Would be cool but idk I find it hard to believe we would pull him in for some reason.

One thing is for sure, CNS will make sure the athlete on the field will be the one that gives the team the best chance of being successful.
These guys on the roster are all talented, otherwise they would not have been granted a scholly.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!! :a:

Up until his injury, I was thinking Cornwell had a nice shot to come into the spring and compete for the job. He still may do so, I just don't think he'll be 100%. I really like his size and touch on the ball, surveys the field very nicely. IMO, Cornwell is our future, but that's a wild guess at this point.

I've been pro-Morris as well for a while now, I'm obviously a fan of size with a great arm. I've been hoping he would have some notable game action, but I'm also within the beliefs he doesn't have "it". All intents and purposes, that seems to be what the staff is saying currently.

Del Rio is solid. Quite honestly I can't say any real negatives outside of his size, he would certainly need to bulk up a bit as well. The most important thing is that he throws a good ball on the run, rolling out. He has a very strong arm and if he could prove to throw a nice accurate ball on intermediate passes, he could very well be our starter next season.

It's nice to have these kind of problems, but we really won't know much until after the Spring. Even then it may be a bit of a question mark, but it's a little exciting as well. I don't expect us to be as balanced next year, but we also didn't expect too much from our passing game in 2011.

Jacob Coker is an interesting option though, didn't really think of that one.

Last edited:
Birdman... I've seen more than 4 mins and even the most casual observer can see a substantial drop off in production. When Sims is brought in, everyone understands that we are in 'milk the clock mode' and teams are blitzing and stacking the box. I would say if AJ gets hurt that avg defenses would keep us out of the end zone most of the day with the current #2 QB. IMO

We All Bleed Crimson;830287]One thing is for sure, CNS will make sure the athlete on the field will be the one that gives the team the best chance of being successful.
These guys on the roster are all talented, otherwise they would not have been granted a scholly.

This ^^^^^^

CNS and our staff do a great job of getting the right guy on the field.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!! :a:

But what if Luke Del Rio wins the starting job?
V811HQr.gif

3 crystal trophies and fans are still questioning coaching decisions. There is a reason they are doing this.

At least we haven't talked about the backup RB being the better RB this year...

Maybe not on here but I have definitely heard "Drake is the better back" already this year.

Birdman... I've seen more than 4 mins and even the most casual observer can see a substantial drop off in production. When Sims is brought in, everyone understands that we are in 'milk the clock mode' and teams are blitzing and stacking the box. I would say if AJ gets hurt that avg defenses would keep us out of the end zone most of the day with the current #2 QB. IMO

So am I to assume you have access to practice? Because thats the only way you've seen more than 4 minutes or so of the other quarterbacks...

A substantial drop off in production? Are you talking about at A-Day? You really cant be talking about during this season? You cant be... we've only seen Blake Sims ONCE in a game situation where he was with the first team offense... and he completed about 80% of his passes with a TD and no picks... against Georgia State mind you... Every other time hes come in the game its been clean up duty with the rest of the backups... so you're judging Sims ability this season off of working with the backups?

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe not on here but I have definitely heard "Drake is the better back" already this year.

So am I to assume you have access to practice? Because thats the only way you've seen more than 4 minutes or so of the other quarterbacks...

A substantial drop off in production? Are you talking about at A-Day? You really cant be talking about during this season? You cant be... we've only seen Blake Sims ONCE in a game situation where he was with the first team offense... and he completed about 80% of his passes with a TD and no picks... against Georgia State mind you... Every other time hes come in the game its been clean up duty with the rest of the backups... so you're judging Sims ability this season off of working with the backups?

I have heard that talk about Drake as well. I thought I read somewhere back in the spring/summer that when a defensive player (name escapes for some reason) was dismissed that del Rio was going to take his scholly.

I dont see how it could be anybody else but Sims. I think he has what it takes, and he damn sure has improved. He brings a run threat along with being in the system for as long as he has. I give the guy all the credit in the world, he has been loyal, works hard, and has more talent than we give him credit for. I actually want him as our starter next year, IMHO he has earned it.

I dont see how it could be anybody else but Sims. I think he has what it takes, and he damn sure has improved. He brings a run threat along with being in the system for as long as he has. I give the guy all the credit in the world, he has been loyal, works hard, and has more talent than we give him credit for. I actually want him as our starter next year, IMHO he has earned it.

100% agree. Could have jumped ship like all the other backups, it seems, have over the last 3 years but he stayed and worked hard to get better.

3 crystal trophies and fans are still questioning coaching decisions. There is a reason they are doing this.

At least we haven't talked about the backup RB being the better RB this year...

Well I'm definitely not questioning the staff, I trust their judgement.

I don't think Blake Sims is an SEC QB, wouldn't mind being wrong though.

Back
Top Bottom