| BSB/SB 🥎 Lexi Kilfoyl’s Perfect Game Secures Weekend Series Against Georgia

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – Alabama junior right-hander Lexi Kilfoyl threw the sixth perfect game in program history Monday night at Rhoads Stadium, securing the weekend series against Georgia for the Crimson Tide.

Alabama (31-5, 8-4 SEC) pushed across nine runs on eight hits to end the game in six innings while Georgia (31-6, 5-3 SEC) had no answer for Kilfoyl (7-2) in the circle, fanning a season-high 10 batters with her 18-up, 18-down performance. Ally Shipman went 2-for-3 with five RBIs, including a game-ending three run home run in the bottom of the sixth. Bailey Dowling also posted a two-hit performance batting right behind Shipman and Kat Grill also went 2-for-3 with two runs scored batting ninth.

After just one combined hit between the two teams through the first 3.5 innings, the Tide threatened in the bottom of the third with the bases loaded and two outs but a strikeout got the Bulldogs out of the jam to keep it scoreless. Still knotted up at 0-0 in the bottom of the sixth, a hit-by-pitch and bunt single put two on with one out for Alabama with the top of the order due up. After a force out at third, a walk loaded the bases yet again with two outs and Shipman sent the first pitch of her at-bat back up the middle, driving in two to give Alabama the first lead of the game. Dowling followed with an RBI single to make it 3-0 and a fielding error extended the inning as Shipman scored from third to make it 4-0. Jenna Johnson tacked on two more with a bases-loaded single through the right side before a strikeout ended the big inning with the Tide ahead 6-0.

Grill started the bottom of the sixth with a single to right and stole second before Dallis Goodnight drew a walk behind her. Two batters later, Shipman called game with a three-run homer to left field, capping the run-rule victory and securing the perfect game for Kilfoyl.

From Head Coach Patrick Murphy

"First, I just want to say thank you to our fans. That's three games in a row sold out and tonight on a nationally-televised Monday night game. There's a lot of different things people could be doing, the national championship for men's basketball is on tonight, yet we still had almost 4,000 people here. We can't thank the fans enough because they brought the energy we needed tonight.

"Credit to Kilfoyl, Shipman and Stephanie VanBrakle Prothro for the perfect game tonight. To do it against a great hitting team like Georgia is unbelievable. Lexi pitched yesterday and the plan with the pitching staff today was to split the game, but as it went on, I didn't have a choice but to stick with Kilfoyl because nobody could do anything against her. Obviously, I'm very glad we ended up sticking with her and that she didn't have to go back out there in the seventh after the run-rule home run by Shipman."

From Lexi Kilfoyl

"Pitching back-to-back games was kind of unexpected, but I knew that I could do it. I just stayed focused, used everything I learned from yesterday to my advantage and focused on attacking each batter. We've been working on the off-speed a lot in the bullpen because having that third change of speed is really beneficial for pitchers, so it feels really good to finally use it and see it work against those batters. I realized in about the third inning that they hadn't had a base runner, but I tried not to let myself think about it because that's when I can get into my head. It's definitely super exciting for me and my teammates."

Highlights​

• The perfect game is the fifth in program history and just the second to occur at Rhoads Stadium, joining Sydney Littlejohn's against Eastern Kentucky on Feb. 6, 2015
  • It is Kilfoyl's first perfect game and third no-hitter, previously doing so against North Carolina (Feb. 27, 2021) and teaming up with Krystal Goodman for a combined no-hitter against Alabama State to open NCAA Regionals last season (May 21, 2021)
  • Alabama improves to 51-21 all-time vs. the Bulldogs, including a 27-8 mark in Tuscaloosa
  • The Tide has never lost a three-game home series to Georgia, with this weekend marking the 10th meeting between the teams in Tuscaloosa
  • Alabama has scored six or more runs in seven of its last eight games
  • The five RBIs marks a new career high for Shipman
  • Shipman leads the team with 13 multi-hit games and 14 multi-RBI games
  • Shipman extended her hitting streak to six games and Bailey Dowling extended hers to five
  • Aubrey Barnhart drew a walk to extend her reached-base streak to seven games

Scoring Summary​

• B5 | Ally Shipman sent a bases-loaded single up the middle, driving in two (2-0, 2 Out)
  • B5 | Bailey Dowling dropped an RBI single in front of a diving Georgia outfielder (3-0, 2 Out)
  • B5 | A fielding error extended the inning, allowing Shipman to score from third (4-0, 2 Out)
  • B5 | Jenna Johnson singled through the right side, driving in Kaylee Tow and M'Kay Gidley (6-0, 2 Out)
  • B6 | A three-run homer by Shipman ended the game in six innings (9-0, 1 Out)

Roll Tide. Glad the ladies didn't allow that first loss derail their weekend and series. Great job ladies!

Are we seeing a transition away from Fouts? I have watched minimal softball this year, but keep up with it because of my daughter. It seems like Montana isn't seeing the success rate of years past, but it also seems like Lexi is our go-to. Are we saving Montana because we have more options this year or are we just seeing more production out of others? I know in year's past Fouts was out there almost every game it seemed. Is it because we have depth now?

Roll Tide. Glad the ladies didn't allow that first loss derail their weekend and series. Great job ladies!

Are we seeing a transition away from Fouts? I have watched minimal softball this year, but keep up with it because of my daughter. It seems like Montana isn't seeing the success rate of years past, but it also seems like Lexi is our go-to. Are we saving Montana because we have more options this year or are we just seeing more production out of others? I know in year's past Fouts was out there almost every game it seemed. Is it because we have depth now?
Havent watched much either...
But that was some game against an offensive team,....
Ump was giving the corners...for both pitchers...

@ Florida this weekend

I mentioned before the season started that the guys on Out of the Box pointed out we saw Lexi getting more pitches last season than Tana until she was injured. We were looking forward to having two, legit Aces this season.

FWIW, as podcasts go, that's one of the better ones I've heard (over all sports.)

Back
Top Bottom