| BSB/SB đźĄŽ Lexi Kilfoyl’s Perfect Game Secures Weekend Series Against Georgia

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – A six-run sixth inning pushed Alabama softball to a 9-3 comeback victory over Georgia Sunday afternoon, evening the weekend series.

Alabama (30-5, 7-4 SEC) trailed Georgia (31-6, 5-3 SEC) after a solo home run and sac fly RBI in the top of the third but Ashley Prange cut the deficit in half with an RBI double in the bottom half, ending the third inning with the score 2-1. The Bulldogs extended their lead with an RBI single in the fourth but the Tide quickly knotted up the score in the bottom half with an RBI double from Aubrey Barnhart and RBI single from Jenna Johnson, forcing Georgia to go to its bullpen in the process.

Still tied 3-3 in the bottom of the sixth, Kaylee Tow dropped a one-out single into right before Johnson blasted a two-run home run to left field to give Alabama its first lead of the series. Abby Doer made it 6-3 with a pinch-hit RBI single and Ally Shipman drove in two more with a bases-loaded single to make it 8-3. A Bailey Dowling RBI single brought the score to 9-3 before a double play ended the big inning. The Bulldogs got a two-out single in the seventh before Lexi Kilfoyl's (6-2) eighth strikeout of the game closed it out.

Johnson was 2-for-3 with three RBIs, her ninth multi-hit game and fourth multi-RBI game of the season. Prange went 2-for-2 with two walks batting second, extending her hitting streak to 11 games. Nine different batters earned a hit and eight scored at least one run. In the circle, Kilfoyl got the complete-game win with a season-high eight strikeouts.

From Head Coach Patrick Murphy

"I just want to say thanks to the crowd again for another sellout. They know exactly when to get loud. They give us the energy and then we throw it right back at them. It's just unbelievable. I really hope tomorrow night on national television we have 4,000 people screaming 'Roll Tide' and put on a show for everybody watching. I thought Lexi Kilfoyl gave us a good start. One kind of rough inning but after that I thought we made really good plays behind her. She kept us in the game. Finally, that sixth inning was awesome to see because we have been waiting for that kind of inning for a long time."

Highlights​

• Alabama improves to 50-21 all-time vs. the Bulldogs, including a 26-8 mark in Tuscaloosa
  • The Tide is now 3-0 this season in games tied after the fifth inning
  • Jenna Johnson's home run was her fourth of the season, two of which have come in the last five games
  • Ashley Prange extended her hitting streak to a career-best 11 games, part of a 2-for-2 day at the plate for her sixth multi-hit game of the season
  • Ally Shipman's two RBIs gives her a team-leading 13 multi-RBI games
  • The complete-game win is Kilfoyl's sixth of the season and her eight strikeouts are a season high

Back
Top Bottom