| FTBL John Forney???

BigAl said:
What year did he start being The Voice of the Crimson Tide. Was it 58?

John Forney predated Coach Bryant's head coaching days at the Capstone by five years. He started announcing for Alabama in 1953.

His uncle, Richard Foster, was the president of Alabama.

Many people don't know this, but John Forney ran an advertising agency also, one of the most well known advertising agencies in Alabama at the time.

After he stepped down he had a stroke, years later, but still managed to come back for one season in '88. It wasn't the same though, the stroke had really hampered his ability to cover a game.

I think Eli Gold took over in '89.

CtrlAltieDel said:
BigAl said:

John Forney predated Coach Bryant's head coaching days at the Capstone by five years. He started announcing for Alabama in 1953.

Many people don't know this, but John Forney ran an advertising agency also, one of the most well known advertising agencies in Alabama at the time.

After he stepped down he had a stroke, years later, but still managed to come back for one season in '88. It wasn't the same though, the stroke had really hampered his ability to cover a game.

That uncle was also my great grandfather.

Atlanta_Tider said:
CtrlAltieDel said:
BigAl said:

That is something I am sure you are extremely proud of, Atlanta Tider. You have a great claim to fame.

CtrlAltieDel said:
Atlanta_Tider said:
CtrlAltieDel said:
BigAl said:

That is something I am sure you are extremely proud of, Atlanta Tider. You have a great claim to fame.
Its pretty cool knowing a building on campus is named after someone in your family. I always wanted to get involved in broadcasting like John did but never had the oppurtunity.

Back
Top Bottom