| FTBL James Andrew Millers Origins "Origins of a Champion"

• Thread starter Michael Casagrande | mcasagrande@al.com
  • Start date
M

Michael Casagrande | mcasagrande@al.com

What best-selling author learned telling Nick Saban's story in podcast series

By Michael Casagrande
mcasagrande@al.com

James Andrew Miller's interview subjects cover a staggering range. He once profiled Nancy Reagan for Life Magazine and has penned several New York Times best sellers.

Perhaps best known for his deep dive on ESPN "Those Guys Have All the Fun, Inside the World of ESPN," Miller has spent considerable time in the past year telling stories in audio form. His podcast series "Origins" debuted in 2017 with an immersive look at Curb Your Enthusiasm before taking a six-episode look back inside ESPN.

For Season 3, he set out to trace the story of Nick Saban and what he's done with the Alabama football program. The third of three episodes was released Monday featuring interviews with Saban and those who surround the 66-year old football coach. His wife Terry Saban plays a prominent role along with strength coach Scott Cochran, former players Barrett Jones and Greg McElroy along with Lane Kiffin and friend Joe Girardi, the former New York Yankees manager.

The same month Nick Saban is on the cover of ESPN the Magazine and the network is dedicating four one-hour behind-the-scenes episodes to Alabama on ESPN2, this project is a little different.

It captures the broad strokes of who Saban is while drilling down on specific details and anecdotes from inside the sometimes-secretive program. Kiffin discussed his abrupt departure from the Alabama program less than a week before the 2016 season ended in the national title game.

Miller, a journalist with degrees from both Oxford University and Harvard, spent some time in Tuscaloosa with Saban to discuss life, football and how he got to this place.

Miller spoke with AL.com recently to talk about the project, how it changed from the original idea and what he learned from looking into what made Saban the coach he is today.

You can listen to the three-part podcast on various platforms including iTunes and the Cadence 13 website.

The conversation with Miller edited for length and clarity.

AL.com: Where did you get the idea to feature Alabama football and Nick Saban?

James Andrew Miller: "Well, I'm a big college football fan and wrote a three-part series in New York Times on college football. Obviously, working on covering ESPN and working on the ESPN book, college football has always been something to report on. In terms of this podcast, last year we did a series on College GameDay. I just felt like I wanted to do something else with college football and I thought Alabama would be a great opportunity to examine what makes them so successful."

AL.com How did you arrange it logistically?

James Andrew Miller: "Just the usual requests, working together and just trying to figure it all out. People don't realize the details and logistics involved with a podcast. It's all just making sure there's a process there that would work for both of us."

AL.com: Was it your first time in Tuscaloosa?

JAM: "I had been there once before but that had been years ago. So, it was great to be back. It was just really impressive."

AL.com: What was your biggest takeaway from the whole process?

JAM: "I think it's interesting understand how everything fits together. You might think that it's all about physical training or weeks on the field. And you have Nick Saban, you have Scotty Cochran, you have Terry Saban, you have the whole -- the nutritionist. So, I think the idea that a comprehensive holistic approach to the athletes including the classwork and getting them ready to graduate and be functioning adults."

AL.com: Outside of Nick Saban, who was the most interesting person you interviewed?

JAM: "I had heard about Terry Saban and read a lot about her, but I thought she was incredibly fascinating. She has a beautiful way of speaking. It's just, you get a real sense, not only of how important their partnership is, but I think talking with other players, just about how important she is to the team. I thought it was great to have her be a part of this. I'm very grateful that she cooperated."

AL.com: And Lane Kiffin was in there too.

JAM: "Yeah, that was kind of interesting because I thought there was a very powerful duality to a lot of the things Lane said. I think he was trying to be very respectful ... I think there things in Episodes 2 and 3, there was stuff in there that you could see it plays on a lot of different levels."

AL.com: Were there any people that were difficult to pin down for interviews?

JAM: "I mean, it's not like people sit around waiting to be interviewed. I think everything takes effort. That's why I'm so appreciative."

AL.com: Scott Cochran is a pretty big figure around here. Did that surprise you?

JAM: "I watched him on YouTube before and I had heard about him, but listen, he's definitely his own guy and I think that there's a reason why he's so popular and I think it's kind of an amazing way he threads the needle because you can tell that he's so passionate about the way he does his business and yet at the same time, he's equally passionate about the fact Nick Saban is the magic ingredient. He said to me at one point 'If I'm not here, Nick Saban is still winning. So, I don't think there's a lot of hubris on Scotty Cochran's part and it's a pretty impressive cooperation that they have between each other."

The conversation moved on to the audience's reception to the podcast.

JAM: "What I'm finding now is people who don't even like Alabama football, like they're from the Big Ten or whatever. But more importantly, people who are outside sports. With Episode 2, you're really talking about the fact that Saban puts on a master class in psychology, motivation, leadership and team building -- not just athletic team, but anywhere. So, I had a guy who manages a 100-person salesforce write me a note saying that he came up with a whole new direction that he's going to do with his salesforce.

"So, I think that is in a way, one of the measures of a guy like Saban. When you start to realize, P.S., it's football. You know what I mean? This is about life. This is about making boys into men. This is about making them responsible figures in society and this is also about the difference between discipline and punishment and motivation. You're changing behavior and incentivizing people and then, P.S., it's also, at the same time, just as important because it's about winning. I've just been very gratified this past week to hear how people have no interest in football or Alabama talking about the qualities that they talk about here."

"By the way, how about Barrett. Barrett, oh my God. Like are you kidding me? The guy should run for office ... I interview people for a living and this guy speaks in complete paragraphs. It's just fantastic."

Thanks for your time. I was curious to see what you thought about everything coming out of the experience as somewhat of an outsider in Alabama.

JAM: "Again, I come back to this idea that I went down there thinking this was about football and I came away thinking, P.S., it's about football. It really is. It's that whole approach and that whole world down there. The culture they've created and the dynamics with the players. I'm sorry, but it's just about way, way more. And a lot more in front of football."

Been meaning to post about this for a few days now. If you haven't listened to this, you should. I'm about 1/2 way through the series. I use Podbean on my Android phone to manage my podcast for what it's worth.

For those who want to listen on their computer, use this link Origins with James Andrew Miller

Episode list with a brief description:
  1. House of Saban - "What makes a champion? Who makes a champion? Welcome to Tuscaloosa, Alabama and a front row seat looking at how Nick Saban keeps his Crimson Tide hungry for more…and more…National Championships."
  2. Mind First; Body Second - "How much of Alabama’s success on the field is a product of their efforts off of it? Hear Coach Nick Saban go deep on “The Process” and why Alabama’s psychological game may just be the most important one on the schedule."
  3. When Failure Contributes to Success - "Why does Coach Nick Saban continually evolve a program already at its pinnacle? The answer is more complex than you may think."
The trailer description "Origins Chapter 3: “Origins of a Champion: Nick Saban & Alabama’s Crimson Tide” goes inside the mind of Nick Saban, one of the greatest college coaches ever, and reveals how the National Champions are preparing to defend their title in the upcoming season, and what it’s like to be on the field as a 'Bama player. Along with Saban himself, you’ll hear from famed Alabama strength coach Scotty Cochran, former Yankee manager and Saban observer Joe Girardi, ex Alabama offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin, former players Barrett Jones and Greg McElroy, ESPN’s Tom Rinaldi, and the coach’s most important teammate, his wife of more than 45 years, Terry."

Gotten through 2 of the 3 so far.. This is very good stuff. Quotes and interviews from Coach Saban, Terry, Barrett Jones, Greg McElroy, Scott Cochran, Tom Rinaldi and yes even Lane Kiffin.

A lot of focus so far on the mental part of the game and buy in from everyone throughout the organization.

In the second (mind first body second) Rinaldi tells a how he has taken quotes from Saban and uses them in his own life even with his kids and family. He also has good info on how he thinks Saban goes against alot of trends for successful people (willing to change even if what he is doing works, sustained pressure with competition to motivate).

Kiffin contrast Pete Carol and Saban's methods. You can tell he learned a lot from Saban but prefers Pete Carols culture (more fun).

Miss Terry said something to the effect this was a perfect partnership that came together at just the right time after they tried the NFL.

Barrett told a story of having to run 28 110's because there is a practice rule that you have to do it over if anyone on the team bends over after they run the 110. He said has never been one to throw up be he did that day.

Great stuff....

This was a really good series. There were several things I didn't realize.

Miss Terry is involved in the program much more than I thought. Sounds like the team mom.

Scott Cochran is a much bigger part of the Process. He's not one of ten coaches all doing their thing. It sounds like he is much more integral to implementing what Saban wants. Oh, and Kirby tried to take him and f*** Kirby.

Barrett Jones said he could put together a line a mile long of players that love Saban. Cochran said a graduate left the program against advice and later callled and got a reference from Saban. Guess Maurice Smith didn't think a Kirby reference carried as much weight (unless I'm guessing the person wrong).

Back
Top Bottom