| FTBL Iron Bowl to have 11:30 kickoff?

"I'm the highest paid university president in the country," Gee said. "If I were a football coach in the Southeastern Conference, I would be the lowest paid. I think the value system is all out of whack. ... I think what we've engaged in is an arms race that has gotten out of hand."

Good grief Charlie Brown! I thought this article was about football schedules. This is beyond old hat now. We get it already. Some SEC coaches are the best in the nation. You don't have to remind us constantly.

AlaphaMale said:
"I'm the highest paid university president in the country," Gee said. "If I were a football coach in the Southeastern Conference, I would be the lowest paid. I think the value system is all out of whack. ... I think what we've engaged in is an arms race that has gotten out of hand."

Good grief Charlie Brown! I thought this article was about football schedules. This is beyond old hat now. We get it already. Some SEC coaches are the best in the nation. You don't have to remind us constantly.

Couldn't agree more.

porkchop said:
AlaphaMale said:

Couldn't agree more.

What Coach Bryant said 50 years ago still rings true today...

More than 50 years ago, Coach Bryant, then the football coach at Texas A&M, took part in a radio debate that was billed: "Is College Football Overemphasized?"

According to the biography "The Last Coach," Bryant at first politely argued with Thomas Mayo, an English professor. Then came this exchange: "Sir, how many people watch you give a final exam?" Bryant asked.

"About 50," Mayo answered.

"Well," Bryant countered, "I have 50,000 watch me when I give mine, every Saturday."

Bryant was making $25,000 per year at the time.

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/daily/sports/50894.php

I'm not sure why Chancellor Gee is in this article but I had to write a research paper last semester on "What's wrong college sports" and I have to say, Gee has his and Vandys priorities in line. Gee has written numerous articles and propositions that could better the SEC's academics but the schools in the SEC just laugh at them. So trust me Gee is not bragging about how good our coaches are :wink: .

Isn’t it time we kick Vandy out of the conference? If we aren’t going to be able to improve anything because Vandy’s president wants to act like a douche and he is trying to “bring some sense of integrity and some semblance of balance back”, then we just need to break ties with that school. I’m sure a school like South Florida or Tulane would love to join the SEC, would help add another playoff game to increase revenue, and would love to share in the SEC’s bowl and TV money. They would probably even use that money to build their athletic departments and maybe become competitive some day. Not continually cut the athletic department and become more and more of a laughing stock every year like Vandy. Let’s see what Mr. Gee thinks about coaches’ salaries when his football revenue is cut from the $20 mil he gets for being in the SEC down to about the $2-$3 mil Conference USA teams get.

RollTideRandy said:
Isn’t it time we kick Vandy out of the conference? If we aren’t going to be able to improve anything because Vandy’s president wants to act like a douche and he is trying to “bring some sense of integrity and some semblance of balance back”, then we just need to break ties with that school. I’m sure a school like South Florida or Tulane would love to join the SEC, would help add another playoff game to increase revenue, and would love to share in the SEC’s bowl and TV money. They would probably even use that money to build their athletic departments and maybe become competitive some day. Not continually cut the athletic department and become more and more of a laughing stock every year like Vandy. Let’s see what Mr. Gee thinks about coaches’ salaries when his football revenue is cut from the $20 mil he gets for being in the SEC down to about the $2-$3 mil Conference USA teams get.

What???? Gee wants to make academics first and athletics second. Is that bad? I thought it was The UNIVERSITY of Alabama......

Not to mention the SEC is a athletics conference not just a football conference. Vandy WBB are SEC champs, VU baseball sec champs and overall #1 seed, VU mens basketball ncaa tourny.

Yeah lets kick them out :roll:

But the Fla President wants to add an extra Bowl that would pay the participants about an extra $10 million each. Probably half of that would go into the SEC pool and be shared by all SEC teams. Over the past five years, the SEC would have had a team in the game (Florida last year, Auburn in 04, LSU in 03) three of the five years. That’s millions of dollars that could be put toward academic facilities upgrades and go into the general scholarship fund. Gee is against it because he knows Vandy has NO CHANCE of playing for a NC in football and would never grab the majority of that money like the bigger schools so he wants to call for “balance”. Don’t you see that if Saban puts us in contention for a NC in the next few years we could play in that game and get millions of dollars to improve academics? That’s the reason we are paying Saban $4 million a year. We expect a return on that investment to get money to improve academics. If Vandy would put more of their football revenue back into the football program, maybe one day they could fill a 75,000 seat stadium and generate even more revenue to put towards academics. That’s exactly what Alabama, Florida, and the other SEC schools have done. Vandy is the school that disbanded their athletic department a few years ago and now everything is run by the presidents office and the board. They just don’t see the big picture here like other SEC teams. And don’t give me basketball and baseball. Those sports don’t generate near the revenue nor do they take near the amount of funding that’s required to run a top notch football program.

RollTideRandy said:
But the Fla President wants to add an extra Bowl that would pay the participants about an extra $10 million each. Probably half of that would go into the SEC pool and be shared by all SEC teams. Over the past five years, the SEC would have had a team in the game (Florida last year, Auburn in 04, LSU in 03) three of the five years. That’s millions of dollars that could be put toward academic facilities upgrades and go into the general scholarship fund. Gee is against it because he knows Vandy has NO CHANCE of playing for a NC in football and would never grab the majority of that money like the bigger schools so he wants to call for “balance”. Don’t you see that if Saban puts us in contention for a NC in the next few years we could play in that game and get millions of dollars to improve academics? That’s the reason we are paying Saban $4 million a year. We expect a return on that investment to get money to improve academics. If Vandy would put more of their football revenue back into the football program, maybe one day they could fill a 75,000 seat stadium and generate even more revenue to put towards academics. That’s exactly what Alabama, Florida, and the other SEC schools have done. Vandy is the school that disbanded their athletic department a few years ago and now everything is run by the presidents office and the board. They just don’t see the big picture here like other SEC teams. And don’t give me basketball and baseball. Those sports don’t generate near the revenue nor do they take near the amount of funding that’s required to run a top notch football program.

First off during my rearch for that paper I found out that the NCAA has limits on how much money an athletic department and the instituion can share. I'm not sure how much that amount is but the rec center was supposedly funded by the 1992 NC. I agree with Gee on this, the athletics departments and academics should work together but NOT SHARE MONEY.

While we're kicking the heart and soul of our academic prestige out of the conference why don't we just go on a spring cleaning? Seeing as how the only requirement to be in the SEC is have a good football program that means we need to boot out: Ole Miss, State, Kentucky, SC, oh yeah and ourselves. We haven't had massive amounts success on the gridiron recently so there could be an argument to kick us out.

All I'm saying is that when our Football team has been mediocre at best for the past decade, Baseball team was sickening, WBB was horrible, MBB was a letdown, and every sport we have besides Gymnastics, Golf, and Softball(If Vandy can't use them we can't) have been mediocre at best we have no right to call for a team to get booted out or make the requirements for a good SEC team.

rammajamma said:
The Iron Bowl at 11:30? I have always prefered it being a night game but after what happened to Auburn Last year, it might be a good omen.

How many 11:30 games did they lose or play crappy in?

MDBtrumpet04 said:
Hero said:
How many 11:30 games did they lose or play crappy in?

How many games did WE lose or play crappy in at 11:30? I can think of one from last year.

well I know they lost the UGA & Arky game but I'm not sure if the Arky game was early. They also played like crap against Ole Miss at 11:30.

Paying college coaches millions of dollars is not an ignorant use of money, but rather an investment for the future. Nick Saban will pay himself off in the next two years. Our 32 million dollar "burden" will become a 100 million dollar profit. This is strictly the case of a jealous old AD being an ass over nothing.

rolltyroll said:
Paying college coaches millions of dollars is not an ignorant use of money, but rather an investment for the future. Nick Saban will pay himself off in the next two years. Our 32 million dollar "burden" will become a 100 million dollar profit. This is strictly the case of a jealous old AD being an ass over nothing.

And I agree he will win enough that the Athletic Department will come out even or up but what Gee is saying is that he does not want the academic side of the universities to put large amounts of money into the business of their athletic departments.

It comes down to, who is paying Saban? is it The UNIVERSITY of Alabama? or is it The University of Alabama Athletics Department?

I think the 11:30, 12:30 for me will be something fun and new for the Iron Bowl. i bet its part of the CBS double shot since FSU is at UF. Maybe it will be a sunny, crisp day on the plains. Good for watching football, not so much for tailgating.

oh yeah, and a national TV audience is now too....for a win.

Back
Top Bottom