| FTBL Iron Bowl question regarding Auburn

Southern Bama

Verified Member
What...if anything.. can Auburn possibly have in their favor at gametime... Is there anywhwere that there team matches up better or as well as Bama...What strongpoints are in their favor???

Special Teams :?: I dont see anything
In the trenches :?: Still nothing
QB :?: Better runner, yes :idea: Passer...Nope
FG Kicker :?:
Secondary :?:
Etc.....

The only real advantage I see for them is the idea of knocking off #1 and it just so happens to be us...

Sure as heck aint Coaching... :D

The thought of ruining our season and adding on to their streak is the biggest thing going for them. Truth is, emotion will only last you so long until you get your jaws rattled. I see them hanging tough for the first half and then falling out in the second much like MSU and TN. Don't look for their QB to run wild on us because I can about bet the house that there will be a spy or robber just for him.

Don't totally discredit Auburn. They could very well win this game. Their defense is nothing to laugh at and our offense has not exactly been the best here as of late. Bama should win on paper but Auburn is still a better team than their record indicates.

This game has me worried.....then again all of them do.

It's like Tim Brando said on the radio yesterday. What Auburn has going for it is that the game is being played in Tuscaloosa, not Auburn. So the pressure is on Alabama to win a big game at home.

That's pretty much the ONLY thing Auburn has going for it though.

I agree with you Swampstick...While most of us poke fun at the Barn...their D is still pretty darn good. There is alot of pressure on us this year...way more so than in years past...But that being said, all the so-called experts expect us to lose in the end anyway, so that could play into our favor.

Swamptick said:
Don't totally discredit Auburn. They could very well win this game. Their defense is nothing to laugh at and our offense has not exactly been the best here as of late. Bama should win on paper but Auburn is still a better team than their record indicates.

This game has me worried.....then again all of them do.

Have you met BamaDelta yet? :lol:

I have watched AU more than I care to this year just trying to find a reason for this game to worry me and I cannot find one. If folks are looking at the moral victory that AU had with UGA squeaking by take in consideration that UGA is going the oppsite way it did last year (down) and has had an inordinate amount of injuries. Add to that bad play calling on offense by Bobo, a dessimated OL and some of the dumbest penalties known to college football and UGA still pulled out the win.

Sorry, color me unimpressed with the 2008 version of the Tiggers. Simply not one of their best teams by a long shot.

Let me add: The one team that can beat Alabama on November 29th is the Alabama Crimson Tide. If they maintain their focus from most of this season, this won't even be a game by the 4th quarter.

There are as many ways to look at this game as there are fans that will watch it.

Let me start with, I am not suggesting we are even a good team this year. During the first four games though our defense played lights out. Due to the absolute disaster we called an offense this year our D played more minutes in the first four games than most defenses will play all year. They were worn out, injured and probably pissed at the offense. I certainly was. But look at it like this for a minute:

We lost to:
LSU by 5
Vandy by 1
Arky by 3
UGA by 4

Throw out the WVU and Ole Miss games because we lost by 10 or more.

We are just a few plays and points away from being 9-2. We had LSU until 1 minute left in the game and had a chance on the last play to beat UGA.

All I am trying to point out is (like the poster above stated) we are better than our record indicates. Again, don't flame me because I AM NOT saying we are even a good team. However, if you look at the scores above and you have to know we are coming to play, the game might be a lot closer than most of you think. We have nothing else to play for but respect. Winning this game for us will mean everything this year, don't think for a second our players don't know that. Those of you that think we won't show up in the second half are fooling yourselves.

I'll also mention that there are a lot of posters already looking ahead to UF and past us. If that is any indication of the attitude of the bama nation in general, well, I don't have to say it do I?

38AUTiger said:
There are as many ways to look at this game as there are fans that will watch it.

Let me start with, I am not suggesting we are even a good team this year. During the first four games though our defense played lights out. Due to the absolute disaster we called an offense this year our D played more minutes in the first four games than most defenses will play all year. They were worn out, injured and probably pissed at the offense. I certainly was. But look at it like this for a minute:

We lost to:
LSU by 5
Vandy by 1
Arky by 3
UGA by 4

We are just a few plays and points away from being 9-2. We had LSU until 1 minute left in the game and had a chance on the last play to beat UGA.

All I am trying to point out is (like the poster above stated) we are better than our record indicates. Again, don't flame me because I AM NOT saying we are even a good team. However, if you look at the scores above and you have to know we are coming to play, the game might be a lot closer than most of you think. We have nothing else to play for but respect. Winning this game for us will mean everything this year, don't think for a second our players don't know that. Those of you that think we won't show up in the second half are fooling yourselves.

I'll also mention that there are a lot of posters already looking ahead to UF and past us. If that is any indication of the attitude of the bama nation in general, well, I don't have to say it do I?

Good post. :)

On the flip side of a possible 9-2 record...is a record of 3-8. If Miss State (3-2) or Tenn (14-12...and had the ball on the other side of the 50 about 8 times in a row) had any offense AT ALL...Auburn would have 8 loses coming into the Iron Bowl.

Auburn could have had a better season...but they could also be 3-8 with wins over LA-Monroe, Southern Miss and UT-Martin.

Is Auburn a better team than a 5-6 record? Probably.

OR...

Are they a team who should be 3-8 and only "survived" to win 5 games? Possibly.

~Bryan

38AUTiger said:

We lost to:
LSU by 5
Vandy by 1
Arky by 3
UGA by 4

I could have crunched very similar numbers for you with BAMAs' losses in '07. Never lost a game by more than 8 points and that's without throwing 2 games out because we lost by more than 10 points in any game.

None of that matters anyway because when the game is kicked off on Nov. 29th, the scoreboard will read 0-0.

After watching both teams play this year, the way I see this playing out is: 1)BAMA is going to play ball control and wear down your defense. The BAMA offensive line is the best AU has seen all year and they will wear AU down. 2)When you start throwing 8 in the box, we're going to screen you or short pass you to death and we have just the talent to run those short to intermediate routes against your respectable secondary. 3)Crowd noise will play a factor and your team will commit more penalties than in most of your games this season. This is the most hostile environment Kodi has played in all season, period. 4)Our defense is not going to allow a rather inept offense to score too many points.

I have seen the two play a lot this season and honestly your best shot is for BAMA to commit error after error for you to even stand a chance. It's not a matter of the fans looking forward because it's not the players looking forward. The ridiculous countdown clock that AU uses to countdown to the Iron Bowl will certainly not be a factor in this game. No one on the field of play will ever marginalize this rivalry.

Auburns defense has the ability to turn it on for a game and I think they probably will. They have great pass rushers that can disrupt any 3rd and long.

Other than that -- I am reaching for something.

TigerBait3 said:
Auburns defense has the ability to turn it on for a game and I think they probably will. They have great pass rushers that can disrupt any 3rd and long.

I really hate to disagree with you but I will. AU's defensive line is decent at run stopping but the pass rush is pathetic. We didn't get to Stafford a single time last week. I don't think jpw has to worry about much of a pass rush.

38AUTiger said:
TigerBait3 said:

I really hate to disagree with you but I will. AU's defensive line is decent at run stopping but the pass rush is pathetic. We didn't get to Stafford a single time last week. I don't think sarah jessica has to worry about much of a pass rush.
I knwo ti has been pathetic but that is why i said I thought they could get it together for one game. Here's to hoping I am wrong. :)

38AUTiger said:
TigerBait3 said:

I really hate to disagree with you but I will. AU's defensive line is decent at run stopping but the pass rush is pathetic. We didn't get to Stafford a single time last week. I don't think sarah jessica has to worry about much of a pass rush.

Not on this board you don't. :x

Strike one.

I'm new here and don't wanna ruffle any feathers. However, IMO, stats, rankings, records, etc. go out the door when it comes down to this game every year. It's just shear emotion. And emotion can do evil things. It can fire you up, and it can disable a team at the same time.

I do think with Saban, we're able to focus that emotion productively like never before. I still remain gaurded about the outcome of this game though. I can't stand'em, but Auburn is no joke and will be ready to play.

I'm glad our boys have an extra week off to really focus and rest up - they need it and they've earned it. A real display of true grit and determination all year.

Regardless of what happens the remainder of the season, I for one, could not be prouder of those boys! RTR! A new era has begun I think.

Would also like to say thanks to everyone here for some great reading and insight to sport I thought I knew alot about. I was dead wrong.

Southern Bama said:
What...if anything.. can Auburn possibly have in their favor at gametime... Is there anywhwere that there team matches up better or as well as Bama...What strongpoints are in their favor???

Special Teams :?: I dont see anything
In the trenches :?: Still nothing
QB :?: Better runner, yes :idea: Passer...Nope
FG Kicker :?:
Secondary :?:
Etc.....

The only real advantage I see for them is the idea of knocking off #1 and it just so happens to be us...

Sure as heck aint Coaching... :D

Brother what don’t they have going for them?

They’ve won 6 in a row vs. the Tide. They’re playing some of the same players that have NEVER beaten them! They are playing the #1 team in the nation, which happens to be a hated rival, and can spoil a perfect season up to this point.

All the pressure is on BAMA to win, it’s a must win for ALABAMA, because if the team want to attain there ultimate goal they have to win out. If barn was to beat ALABAMA who’s in the hot seat then CNS? Maybe not in the hot seat but it should not happen! I’d say barns got a lot going for it!

As we all know CHAMPIONS prevail in the face of adversity. So we shall see once again if the boys in CRIMSON can roll the tigers of Auburn.

bamafan4ever said:
I have watched AU more than I care to this year just trying to find a reason for this game to worry me and I cannot find one.

My thoughts exactly. We're right on the same page on this one. :shock:

JK! :D I'm over here getting sick to my stomach about this game, and Greg says "ahh, no worries no big deal". And what is the name of that drug again? :lol:

OK, you know what worries me most about this game and please feel free to answer these concerns. My biggest one right now is actually three all tied for #1. :shock:

1. The TE (Mackenzie or McFadden ?) - take your pick. How many times has AU rolled into Tuscaloosa and effectively moved the ball down the field with their big ole TE.

1. Kodi Burns scrambling. Memories of Dameyune (sp?)Craig come to mind along with Jason Campbell. Heck Tyson Lee flushed himself out of a ton of pressures last week and rarely did we catch up to him. Many times we didn't and he ended up throwing incomplete. With Kodi he'll probably tuck it with the intention of running the entire time. Scares me.

1. Our punting. I know, I know PJ had a great game last week. I know he's really been a strength lately but he takes too dang long to get the ball off. I know that might seem ticky-tacky but don't think AU won't be looking at this.

1. Thought of another one. Kick return game. We've been doing better but then had to go and let State get one or two good runs. I know Tristan Davis ran one back for a TD vs. Tenn-Martin. I'm just saying.

I'm really not trying to be negative. I know I'm going overboard. These things just bug me right about the time I feel confident with our team. The streak is big, but I'm kinda with Coach Saban on this one. What happened the past 6 years ago doesn't put points on the board for either team. I really think that is more a fan thing anyway.

Roll Tide and let's beat Auburn!

Back
Top Bottom