| FTBL Interesting quote from the book "Coach"

eshad

Verified Member
I'm reading the book Coach, by Keith Dunnavant, and ran across a section, that just seemed prophetic. Anyone else see any resemblence?

“Jordan’s (Auburn)Tigers entered the 1959 season in firm control of football in the state of Alabama, riding the crest of a twenty-three-game unbeaten string and ranked among the top five teams in the country. But ‘Bama’s first victory over its archrival in five years represented a turning point in the series. Over the quarter-century of the Bryant era, Alabama would win nineteen and lose only six against the Tigers, and the gentle Shug Jordan, who appeared on the verge of long-term dominance in 1959, was reduced to a marginal figure in the Southeastern Conference. He never won another SEC title, and placed just five more teams in the nation’s top ten. During the 1950’s, Auburn dominated in-state recruiting, but after Bryant returned, Alabama slowly won over the high school coaches and set the stage for a quarter-century of recruiting success. Young people with no particular allegiance to either school became more likely to grow up Alabama fans during the dominating reign of the Bear, and the ripple effects of ‘Bama’s growing constituency were felt in recruiting, where dominance tends to perpetrate itself."

eshad said:
I'm reading the book Coach, by Keith Dunnavant, and ran across a section, that just seemed prophetic. Anyone else see any resemblence?

“Jordan’s (Auburn)Tigers entered the 1959 season in firm control of football in the state of Alabama, riding the crest of a twenty-three-game unbeaten string and ranked among the top five teams in the country. But ‘Bama’s first victory over its archrival in five years represented a turning point in the series. Over the quarter-century of the Bryant era, Alabama would win nineteen and lose only six against the Tigers, and the gentle Shug Jordan, who appeared on the verge of long-term dominance in 1959, was reduced to a marginal figure in the Southeastern Conference. He never won another SEC title, and placed just five more teams in the nation’s top ten. During the 1950’s, Auburn dominated in-state recruiting, but after Bryant returned, Alabama slowly won over the high school coaches and set the stage for a quarter-century of recruiting success. Young people with no particular allegiance to either school became more likely to grow up Alabama fans during the dominating reign of the Bear, and the ripple effects of ‘Bama’s growing constituency were felt in recruiting, where dominance tends to perpetrate itself."

Yeah, I think Bama is about to really dominate football in this state. Too bad Saban won't be the coach 25 years like The Bear.

I can only hope that history does repeat itself. One thing we can proudly say as Alabama fans about our team, is that it has a remarkable ability to bounce back from disaster and I think Coach Saban is the man for the job. I think we are going to have him for more than 5 years. I think we are probably looking somewhere in the vicinity of 10-15 years. Can you imagine even that. Coach Saban is 56 now so I really can't see him coaching 25 years until he is 81. Still, Coach Bowden and Coach Paterno are pretty crusty if not still on the top of their game.

It is great to be from Alabama. I think that (for the most part) the days of a single team being utterly dominant are over....but look at USC. Could Alabama be the next big thing in college football? UT is on the decline. AU is not recruiting as well as Alabama and it is CLEAR that Bama under Coach Saban has gotten some real momentum. Imagine in a few years when Coach has had time to develop relationships with state and regional highschool coaches.

Let's see...I am a highschool kid thinking about playing at AU, UT of Alabama. Alabama easily has the best facilities and is continuing it's campaign to make them even better. Thanks Mal.

Alabama, AU and UT have similar fanbases so those other schools can't use that as a tool.

Coaching and the exposure of the coaching at each school. AU and UT will say that they have it going on there and maybe the do, but not like Alabama. You can't watch or listen to ESPN of FOX Sports for 2 days without at least hearing about Coach Saban and Alabama. When was the last time CTT was on SI? How often does Colin Cowherd talk about AU or UT? Almost never. You can't go 2 days without Alabama football comming up on Cowherd. He and the rest of ESPN STILL use Bama as a measuring stick. (As of late Cowherd has eased up on us).

What about Coaching ability? I think that speaks for itself. Even a highschool kid has heard more about CNS than the other two combined. His record speaks for itself. So does his ring.

Where would you go to play football?

Roll Tide. The next 10 years are going to be times we remember for the rest of our lives in a football sense. Our sons and daughters will be treated to something special alongside us. The children of today will grow up knowing the Alabama that SHOULD be and WILL be.

Roll Tide everyone.

Swamptick said:
I can only hope that history does repeat itself. One thing we can proudly say as Alabama fans about our team, is that it has a remarkable ability to bounce back from disaster and I think Coach Saban is the man for the job. I think we are going to have him for more than 5 years. I think we are probably looking somewhere in the vicinity of 10-15 years. Can you imagine even that. Coach Saban is 56 now so I really can't see him coaching 25 years until he is 81. Still, Coach Bowden and Coach Paterno are pretty crusty if not still on the top of their game.

It is great to be from Alabama. I think that (for the most part) the days of a single team being utterly dominant are over....but look at USC. Could Alabama be the next big thing in college football? UT is on the decline. AU is not recruiting as well as Alabama and it is CLEAR that Bama under Coach Saban has gotten some real momentum. Imagine in a few years when Coach has had time to develop relationships with state and regional highschool coaches.

Let's see...I am a highschool kid thinking about playing at AU, UT of Alabama. Alabama easily has the best facilities and is continuing it's campaign to make them even better. Thanks Mal.

Alabama, AU and UT have similar fanbases so those other schools can't use that as a tool.

Coaching and the exposure of the coaching at each school. AU and UT will say that they have it going on there and maybe the do, but not like Alabama. You can't watch or listen to ESPN of FOX Sports for 2 days without at least hearing about Coach Saban and Alabama. When was the last time CTT was on SI? How often does Colin Cowherd talk about AU or UT? Almost never. You can't go 2 days without Alabama football comming up on Cowherd. He and the rest of ESPN STILL use Bama as a measuring stick. (As of late Cowherd has eased up on us).

What about Coaching ability? I think that speaks for itself. Even a highschool kid has heard more about CNS than the other two combined. His record speaks for itself. So does his ring.

Roll Tide. The next 10 years are going to be times we remember for the rest of our lives in a football sense. Our sons and daughters will be treated to something special alongside us. The children of today will grow up knowing the Alabama that SHOULD be and WILL be.

Roll Tide everyone.

Very nice post Tick ;sal a$#

Swamptick said:

Roll Tide everyone.
I hope your right. Id love to see it

You guys are correct, and let me be the first to say I wasn't saying we would see a repeat of the same. The game and rules are much too different today to see the same kind of domination in the nation. Now the state......that might be another issue. :D

firestorm said:
Hey eshad, I'm thinking about purchase some coach bryant stuff. Do you like the book?. Thanks

RTR,

So far so good. I'm about 1/2 way through, and I am enjoying it. I have never actually read a book on the life of Coach Bryant, so this is my first. I had heard good things about it, so I picked it up this week.

bamatommy said:
eshad said:

Yeah, I think Bama is about to really dominate football in this state. Too bad Saban won't be the coach 25 years like The Bear.

Does any coach make it 20 years anymore? Cant think of any....10-15 years would be nice :p

Back
Top Bottom