| FTBL Interesting note on staff prep for games in '08...

TerryP

Staff
I remember him saying this a few years ago but had filed it under that "everyone knows this" category.

Do you know what game is the first one the staff breaks down in preparation for the upcoming season?

It's Auburn, but not because it's Auburn. I remember reading about Saban doing the same thing with Arkansas in '03 when he was at LSU.

I found it sort of interesting considering the last game they will break down is going to be Clemson...which will also be the "freshest" on their minds.

Creg Stephenson talks a bit about it

Thanks for the link.
About those 7-on-7s — Saban is prohibited by NCAA rules from even watching them, so he wasn’t able to give a report on the summertime progress of the Alabama backs and receivers.

So who runs the 7-on-7s if the coaching staff can't even watch? Is it just something the players do on their own?

weezyfbaby00 said:
Thanks for the link.
About those 7-on-7s — Saban is prohibited by NCAA rules from even watching them, so he wasn’t able to give a report on the summertime progress of the Alabama backs and receivers.

So who runs the 7-on-7s if the coaching staff can't even watch? Is it just something the players do on their own?

From my understanding it is optional and run by the players but the staff will tell JP or Rashad the things that they need to work on. They (coaches and players) will then go over those same plays/coverages in meetings.

I think the 7 on 7 drills will be much more beneficial this year as opposed to last year. A year ago I don't think there were enough players that knew what they were supposed to be doing to help correct each other. This year guys like Rashad know the defense and can work with the younger guys and the guys who don't get many reps to give them a jump start before fall camp begins.

That's a great way to break down teams. Its great to let the players have some previous knowledge on teams before the season, so when they actually learn more about them later in the year...they'll be more sharp. I want Clemson to be fresh as they can be, we're going to need all the preparation we can get on them.

Back
Top Bottom