| FTBL Inside emotional Alabama locker room, Tide promises to 'fight like hell' for playoff return

Scott Cochran had just showered, but the sweat was still pouring. Tugging at his collar with a tie tied tight, Alabama's strength coach made the rounds in a somber Crimson Tide locker room.

Some players sat wide-eyed in shock. Seniors hugged teammates one final time after Ohio State took the Sugar Bowl semifinal, 42-35 on a wild night in the Superdome.

For Cochran, the mission starts anew.

"Do not forget this feeling," he preaches to a young player at his locker.

Those same four Superdome locker-room walls housed Alabama for last season's Sugar Bowl loss to Oklahoma. But the scene this Thursday had an extra shade of heartbreak. In the hallway, coaches' wives wiped away tears as the reality set in. Coach Nick Saban was the only speaker in the locker room and his speech focused on the response.

"It's pretty sad," tight end O.J. Howard said. "Nobody likes losing. It's really down right now."

The nation's No. 1 team was an eight-point favorite and pounced to a 21-6 lead off Ohio State turnovers. A few starters sat silent, turning down any requests to speak in the 30 minutes the doors were open to reporters.

"When you look at last year's Auburn game, the Sugar Bowl last year, those things never leave you," center Ryan Kelly said. "Those are things to build upon for next year. I think coach Cochran does such a nice job of, not only the physical aspects of the way players develop, but the mental. Everybody is feeling bad right now. Nobody's happy about that."

Receiver Amari Cooper said it felt a lot like last January after the 45-31 loss to Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl.

"This time came fast," he said. "We lost to Oklahoma. It felt like yesterday. Now we're here and unfortunately we lost, but hopefully next year we can win when we're in this situation. It's going to come fast. That's why (Cochran's) starting now so they can remember and work hard."

And the message was heard.

"But I think that's what makes it special," Kelly said. "We cherish these seniors who've done so much for this program and it's something we need to remember for next year. God-willing we get back here again, I know we're going to fight like hell to get there. You learn from it and move on."

Continue reading...

Mixed emotions here... On the one hand, this was supposed to be a rebuilding year and certainly, overall, we may have exceeded expectations a bit winning the SEC Championship. On the other hand - and similar to last year - it was really only on a few occasions that this team was really dominant. We weren't really dominant last year either. Other teams are no longer intimidated to play us and such was even said by other teams' players on several occasions this year.

On defense, it seems we adopted a bend don't break philosophy, and yet we got smoked on big plays (especially long passing plays) all year. We have a decent pass rush, but we don't have a feared sack artist. We need that very badly. We need a dominant pass rusher that the opposing team needs to account for on every play. We also probably had the most ineffective blitzing I've seen in a long time - we would bring players, but they would come too late or just run into O-lineman. I think out guys are being coached to just maintain lanes instead of going balls out and letting them play aggressively. I think this "careful" approach has hurt us all year.

On offense, we piled up all kinds of records this year, yet: Did it feel like we had an offensive "juggernaut" this year that could just totally take over games at will? Not really. Last night, for example, I thought Kiffin called a pretty poor game. And what happened to our dominant offensive line in the run game? Not so much this year. We need to get mean and nasty on the o-line again. We also probably need to get rid of Cristobal despite his recruiting skills. Our overall O-line performance has really dropped since he's been here.

Lastly, for next year, I'd like to see some real, vocal, and fired up on-field leaders emerge on this team. Some real, strong, take-charge guys to keep people fired up and get the team playing with some real emotion and fire in the bellies instead of just a bunch of "business-like" robots out there.

There you have it. Roll Tide!!!

During last nights game Henry was averaging 8 ypc and Yeldon about 5 ypc we were dominating in the run game because Ohio State was selling out to stop play action passes and Amari Cooper. We got away from the run when it was working early and it got them back into the game and it just wasn't working. Kiffin outsmarted himself this game, he tried to get fancy with the playcalls trying to outsmart the defense who was just selling out to stop Coop and instead of just running it down their throats all game and forcing them to stop the run then trying to go over top he just played into their hands all game.

Back
Top Bottom