| FTBL Injuries & Approach

Tidestalker

I've been really impressed with some of what appears to be a difference in approach with the strength & conditioning over the last 2 years.

It sounds like the Clemson beat down was the end of the Cochran era, and brought the new regime in 2 years ago.

Is it fair to question whether or not there needs to be some adjustments made following this season's rash of injuries? Particularly the speedy/quick skill guys at WR (both stud WR's going down with non-contact ACL's), and of course the depleted RB position. Then there were CB & OLB's in drought throughout the year as well.

Personally I think it's more about bad luck - But if we were to continue seeing the same issues into next year, especially with skill guys - Would that change the approach? Gains are great, but we all know what the best ability is..... RTR

I chalk it up to bad luck, or maybe a curse. When a guy steps on another guy's foot during a play and break a small bone? Stuff like that has nothing to do with S&C. Even the Jameson's knee injury the other night... if I had to point a finger, it would be at the shitty fake field turf they play some of these games on. IMO, that stuff causes more injuries than anything.

edit I would also add, Alabama's practices are intense. Not as much as they used to be as a whole, but still, nobody goes harder during the week than Alabama. There are times when Saban will dial it back a bit, but when you are that physical, that often, more injuries are going to happen (though they try to take steps to limit them obviously).

Last edited:
I chalk it up to bad luck, or maybe a curse. When a guy steps on another guy's foot during a play and break a small bone? Stuff like that has nothing to do with S&C. Even the Jameson's knee injury the other night... if I had to point a finger, it would be at the shitty fake field turf they play some of these games on. IMO, that stuff causes more injuries than anything.
"Arlington was like walking on a pillow top mattress purchased a decade ago from Big Lots." Hyperbole? Likely. It's telling a former player would make the comparison.

I'm still a bit taken back when I think about game preparation for the playing field includes a lawn blower and a guy attempting to level out the pellets.

I will say this about Williams! I have put him in my top 10 Bama players of all time! He try his best to go back into the game! But Coach and the training guy told him No!

I'm sure there are some stats somewhere about how many ACL's on turf vs natural grass.

I would like to see those numbers. Pro and college.

I don't follow the NFL much at all, but it doesn't seem to me that a ton of pro athletes have ACL issues like we see in college. Wonder what the breakdown on stadiums in the NFL are with natural grass to turf fields.

I know we played in ATL, Dallas and Indy. Did we play more turf games that UGA? They didn’t lose near as many high caliber players. Heck, I can’t remember a team other than LSU losing so many guys. We lost a LB and Metchie in ATL and some defensive guys didn’t make it out of Dallas clean. Then Williams in Indy. But lost a lot of guys on grass as well.

I know we played in ATL, Dallas and Indy. Did we play more turf games that UGA? They didn’t lose near as many high caliber players. Heck, I can’t remember a team other than LSU losing so many guys. We lost a LB and Metchie in ATL and some defensive guys didn’t make it out of Dallas clean. Then Williams in Indy. But lost a lot of guys on grass as well.

They had a receiver tear his for a second time in a year in Blaylock. Zeus tore both of his, but I believe only once while at Georgia a couple years back. The rest of their injuries were from last year were broken bones from my limited memory.

Not sure if this is the right thread but have not seen anyone mention how #6 played in Jobes absence. Seems like he did well until that one 4th qtr drive where he got burnt for a TD and before that had to tackle the guy and got PI called.

Not sure if this is the right thread but have not seen anyone mention how #6 played in Jobes absence. Seems like he did well until that one 4th qtr drive where he got burnt for a TD and before that had to tackle the guy and got PI called.

He did play well. A split second late turning for that touchdown pass, but was in position. Did the right thing on the pass interference since he was beat.

Back
Top Bottom