| MBB/WBB 🏀 In other NCAA basketball action—Conference Championship Weekend

Saw that Souther Miss game in person with my Dad. Not a great way to start off the Stallings era. I recall stats wise Bama outgained Southern Miss by a good margin but not on the scoreboard. Can't recall if we had turnovers or what the issue was.
Where do you start? Interceptions, fumbles, injuries, or special teams? Lets start with injuries. Season ending injury to Siran Stacy. Injury to Derrick Lassic to the point he may as well have not played against Florida the next week. He had -2 yards on 1 carry against UF.

Hollingsworth had 3 interceptions. One a 75 yard Pick 6. Special teams was a complete disaster. Bama had a punt return TD negated by a clipping call. Punt returner fumbled a punt that led to a Southern Miss score. And to top it all off the punter fumbled a snap that was recovered by them.

As said in my first post above about the game, Bama looked as if they had never played a football game. Ever. They wasted two TOs because of having an incorrect number of players on the field.

Thinking about all that makes me want to get back to basketball. Which is what we are supposed to be doing in this thread.

Last edited:
Saw that Souther Miss game in person with my Dad. Not a great way to start off the Stallings era. I recall stats wise Bama outgained Southern Miss by a good margin but not on the scoreboard. Can't recall if we had turnovers or what the issue was.
Me and my daughter were at this game too. We were sitting on the stadium seats. Can't remember if it was the north or south end, but the Bama players were doing warm up at that end. My daughter was using the binoculars to watch them warm up, or I should say watch those backside. Man Bama had the kick off run for the TD, call back for holding I think.

Where do you start? Interceptions, fumbles, injuries, or special teams? Lets start with injuries. Season ending injury to Siran Stacy. Injury to Derrick Lassic to the point he may as well have not played against Florida the next week. He had -2 yards on 1 carry against UF.

Hollingsworth had 3 interceptions. One a 75 yard Pick 6. Special teams was a complete disaster. Bama had a punt return TD negated by a clipping call. Punt returner fumbled a punt that led to a Southern Miss score. And to top it all off the punter fumbled a snap that was recovered by them.

As said in my first post above about the game, Bama looked as if they had never played a football game. Ever. They wasted two TOs because of having an incorrect number of players on the field.

Thinking about all that makes me want to get back to basketball. Which is what we are supposed to be doing in this thread.
Yeah I blocked all of that out :). Back to backsetball.....

Do remember ALL THAT? I can only remember that I was there and roughly where in the student section I was. Impressive.

I was at Legion Field for that one. Did Danny Woodson start that game, and then he was relieved by Barker?
Gary Hollingsworth was our starter. We were up 24-20 and driving in the 4th when Siran Stacy went down with a non-contact, torn ACL. I believe he fumbled and then Favre led them on the game winning drive. That injury was the precursor to an 0-3 start. Next week in Athens, GA, Prince Wimbley tears his ACL as we were up 16-10. Lost 17-16. Following week in T’town, Craig Sanderson tears his ACL against the Gaytors. We were up 13-10 in the 4th. Punt block returned for TD and we lose 17-13. I was a walk on on that team. Painful season!! Somewhat righted the ship and then got boat raced in the Fiesta against Louisville and Howard Schnellenburger!!

Gary Hollingsworth was our starter. We were up 24-20 and driving in the 4th when Siran Stacy went down with a non-contact, torn ACL. I believe he fumbled and then Favre led them on the game winning drive. That injury was the precursor to an 0-3 start. Next week in Athens, GA, Prince Wimbley tears his ACL as we were up 16-10. Lost 17-16. Following week in T’town, Craig Sanderson tears his ACL against the Gaytors. We were up 13-10 in the 4th. Punt block returned for TD and we lose 17-13. I was a walk on on that team. Painful season!! Somewhat righted the ship and then got boat raced in the Fiesta against Louisville and Howard Schnellenburger!!
Emphasis was on recruiting vs bowl prep. Nobody expected Howard S to take the game like the Super Bowl. That and Browning Nagel having a Stephen Garcia game at QB did us in.

@TerryP . . . Is the like for the further info or that it was a torn ACL?

Not judging. I'm OK with either.
I thought about that just after posting the reply. Notice I didn't change the wording. 😈

No. I hadn't heard the latest on him. In the SECT, UT falls on Alabama's side of the bracket. It opens the possibility Bama would see the 5, 12, or 13th seeded team versus the #4. (#5 is currently Mizzou.) A loss to Auburn and a UK win versus Arkansas puts UK in UT's position: we might see Bama vs UK on Saturday.

I thought about that just after posting the reply. Notice I didn't change the wording. 😈

No. I hadn't heard the latest on him. In the SECT, UT falls on Alabama's side of the bracket. It opens the possibility Bama would see the 5, 12, or 13th seeded team versus the #4. (#5 is currently Mizzou.) A loss to Auburn and a UK win versus Arkansas puts UK in UT's position: we might see Bama vs UK on Saturday.

A (y) would have been appropriate if it had been Plavsic instead.

Emphasis was on recruiting vs bowl prep. Nobody expected Howard S to take the game like the Super Bowl. That and Browning Nagel having a Stephen Garcia game at QB did us in.
I expected Howard to take the game very serious. Here's why. Louisville finished their season on 11/10, whereas Bama played Auburn on 12/1. Howard sat three rows in front of me at that game scouting Bama and knowing full well that Bama would get the bid to the Fiesta. The bid was supposed to be up for grabs between Bama and Ole Miss but Arizona was in the middle of a big controversy regarding the proposed Martin Luther King Day and there was no way in hell the Fiesta was going to invite Ole Miss waving their Rebel flags.

We all know, as you said, that Stallings and the entire staff used their four weeks to recruit and it paid off in a NC in '92. And it is quite obvious that Schnellenburger used his SIX weeks to prepare for Bama. Six weeks because what he knew about the bid on 12/1 he would also have known on 11/10.

Back
Top Bottom