| FTBL In defense of JPW...Rush Propst speaks.

Here is the thing that kills me with the criticizing of John Parker Wilson.

What have been Wilson's problems so far this season? Some I've seen.
1. Making reads. Will Oakley was wide freaking open in the FSU game. A few more times receivers had to slow up because Wilson didn't see them in time to hit them in stride.
2. Throwing off of his back foot. This is mechanics and I realize that.
3. Hitting routes behind the first down marker on 3rd down. This drives me insane.

Now, let's look at these 3 problems.

1. How many reads did JPW have to make in Shula's offense? How many receivers did we have on each play? Our TE position was primarily blocking. Our FB position was primarily a blocking position. Most times(if I remember correctly) we lined up in I formation and had DJ and Brown as wide-outs. We tried to play a slot guy, but the OL was so terrible that most of the time a TE was in to help the o-line. NOW, how many reads does JPW have to make this season? How many times have we passed with only 2 or 3 options available? We have guys running deep. Guys running across the middle. Guys running underneath routes like McCoy. Guys coming out of the backfield. When the TE's are in the game they are on pass routes. That's a ton of reads to make and a short time to learn them in. That's why I think JPW has missed some open receivers and thrown some short balls. If I remember correctly, that playaction pass to DJ for a TD in the Arky game was out of the I wasn't it? Maybe I'm wrong on that.

2. Throwing off the back foot. How many screens did we have last season? As a qb, how do you play the jailhouse break screen? You run backwards and float the ball off of your back foot. Now, how many times have we ran screen plays this season? I'm not making an excuse here, because mechanics are a problem that JPW can control. I'm just saying that he's learning a whole new system. It most likely has something to do with this.

3. Dumping the ball on short routes on 3rd down. How many times on broadcast can you watch the QB make his reads AND see all the receivers down field? If the kid makes a dump route pass to McCoy on 3rd down...just maybe the other passes were covered? I'd rather him complete the pass and give McCoy a chance at the first down than I had him throw an interception into double or triple coverage.

Finally, JPW's problems all come down to confidence in my opinion. It's hard to be comfortable while learning a new scheme with soooo many different passing looks. I think he'll be fine.

Just my thoughts here guys.

The only thing I'll argue with you on Argo is on his making reads o find the open guy. He doesn't look for anyone else. He knows whop he is going to throw to before the snap is made, and he stares at that one guy until he throws the pass. He did this at times last year also.

I have to agree with the last comment on this. Someone behind me (a high school coach from Birmingham) pointed this out early in the Vandy game to me and he was right on. I have watched ever since and it is true. He locks in right off the snap and very seldom looks away. If he looks to another option, it is always the dump pass just past the line of scrimage. I never looks to another down field receiver. This could be because he is not confidnet yet in the routes they are running.

I love this part...

"I have the utmost confidence in Major Applewhite and Joe Pendry and Coach Saban," Propst said. "I have more confidence in Nick Saban and that staff than in any Alabama staff since Bear Bryant retired.

I don't like a lot of what Propst does and says, but I do like this. :)

Bama Bo said:
The only thing I'll argue with you on Argo is on his making reads o find the open guy. He doesn't look for anyone else. He knows whop he is going to throw to before the snap is made, and he stares at that one guy until he throws the pass. He did this at times last year also.

I noticed it this year, but not last. He probably did it last year too, but he didn't have a whole lot of options besides the one guy he was starring down. He really needs to work on that, but I'm sure Saban and Major have already pointed this out to him.

One more thing I forgot to mention is the shotgun formation. If we ever have a hot route on a blitz read, we are screwed 9 times out of 10 because of the snap. It is nearly impossible to scoop the snap off the ground and still hit the quick slant.

Again, there are problems, but I don't think it's too much to overcome.

reger60 said:
**** THREAD SUCCESSFULLY HIJACKED ****

I'm sorry. I couldn't resist. :oops:

Actually, I think it's good of him to come out and try to defend JPW. I hate to hear some the fans at the game putting him down, still if you grow up around Alabama football fans, then become the starting QB, you gotta know that comments are going to come. It doesn't make it right, but I'm sure JPW criticizes himself enough that what others say doesn't bother him.

Bama Bo said:

I agree Bo, along with Agro on the mechanics.

Back
Top Bottom