| FTBL In 1958 and in 1990

rammajamma

Verified Member
1958 was Coach Bryants first year. We went 5-4-1.

In 1961, Alabama went 11-0 and defeated Arkansas in the Sugar Bowl to claim the national championship.

In 1990 Gene Stallings lost the first three games and really had me worried...

Date Opponent Location Results Media
Sat, Sep 08 Southern Miss Birmingham 24 - 27 (L)

Sat, Sep 15 Florida Tuscaloosa 13 - 17 (L)

Sat, Sep 22 Georgia at Athens 16 - 17 (L)

Sat, Sep 29 Vanderbilt Tuscaloosa 59 - 28 (W)

Sat, Oct 06 SW Louisiana at Lafayette 25 - 6 (W)

Sat, Oct 20 Tennessee at Knoxville, TN 9 - 6 (W)

Sat, Oct 27 Penn State Tuscaloosa 0 - 9 (L)

Sat, Nov 03 Mississippi State at Starkville 22 - 0 (W)

Sat, Nov 10 LSU Tuscaloosa 24 - 3 (W)

Sat, Nov 17 Cincinnati Birmingham 45 - 7 (W)

Sat, Dec 01 Auburn Birmingham 16 - 7 (W)

Tue, Jan 01 Louisville at Fiesta Bowl 7 - 34 (L)

* Conference Games

We all know what happened, two years later. So my point is this. If you want to replace JPW or Major or both, step back, take a deeeep breath and relax. Its going to be ok. Its going to be better than ok. This is a exciting time to be a Bama fan. We are witnessing a rebirth. Just enjoy this season for what it is. Take each game and have fun. Losing stinks I know but its going to be ok. If we survived the last year of Dubose, what happened with Mike Price, being on probation twice, we can get over losing two ball games buy one score. I saw a tough scrappy Alabama team lose two games that they almost pulled out and won. I love the effort. I love the heart... I can tell our guys are really giving it their all. The rest will come. Roll Tide forever!

Not to burst anyones bubble, but we have used this analogy with every coach since Dubose, the dream of returning to greatness is nice but right now it looks dim. I do however agree that once Saban gets some of his own recruits in here it may make a big difference.

Atlanta_Tider said:
Not to burst anyones bubble, but we have used this analogy with every coach since Dubose, the dream of returning to greatness is nice but right now it looks dim. I do however agree that once Saban gets some of his own recruits in here it may make a big difference.

Right on! That doesn't proof anything! It's two different eras! I fail to see how it has anything to do with right now..

Optimus said:
Atlanta_Tider said:

Right on! That doesn't proof anything! It's two different eras! I fail to see how it has anything to do with right now..
Nothing of it has to do with the right now. Man so many things have changed in both accou nts. Rule changes are big factors, recruiting practices are totally different. Even 17 years ago since Stallings took over many things have changed in college football.
The internet has changed things the most, especially from a fans perspective. Its so easy now to log on and be the armchair QB.
Its been a rough ride since Stallings left, he left us with the championship still keeping us positive on the future. Since then, we as fans hope every new coach is going to be like Bryant and win it all so many times. But things change.

Back
Top Bottom