| FTBL I'm excited about Deontae Lawson next season.

Lawson had a fantastic game yesterday, showed a little bit of everything that you want to see out of a linebacker, did well in coverage, making plays in space, being physical taking on blocks and playing downhill against a very physical offense. He also had two plays that put his ability to read and react on display. I'm gonna review the film whenever I get the chance to go back over it, but off the top of my head there's one play that sticks out. I can't remember if it was an outside the tackle run, or a screen pass.... but he read it perfectly and closed down in on the play, while simultaneously avoiding and splitting through blockers to make that play. I'm just curious who's going to play beside him next year, plenty of talent there now, and coming in. I'm excited about the group as a whole, but I can't wait to see what Lawson does with a full season as the starter.

He should be fun to watch. Just needs to keep working hard and developing this off season.
Yep. Hopefully this carries over into next year for him. He plays like he did against K-state all year next year, he's going to be a Butkus finalist. I'm just curious as to whos going to start beside him. Blackshire is currently who I expect, but a guy could play their way into that spot easily, Bamas got guys that are going to be really at that position. It'll be fun to watch how it progresses.

He's going to compete for the MIKE. It's telling they brought in one true ILB this highly regarded: at the least, a key role player.
Unless the coaches feel Lawson isn't up to call the defense, then then MIKE title is going to be his. If Jefferson can come in and run it better than him or anyone else, then I hope he does. I don't know what defense they ran at his old school, maybe it's similar to what Alabama runs, and he'll come in and know it. We'll see. Blackshire could step in and be the Mike, or maybe Murphy, or Campbell, as well as Russaw if he comes in at that position and performs well. My bet is Lawson, but you never know. They could do what they did with Christian Harris, don't make him worry about being a playcaller and getting everyone set up, just let him go out and make plays.

You honestly believe a JUCO can step in summer and win the starting job? He's definitely a candidate. Intriguing at least.
He could. But it's gonna be tough. Lawson is no doubt a starter, but after that.... it's up for grabs. We've got guys currently on the team and coming in that can can put themselves in that position if they have a good spring, summer, and fall camp. I'm excited for this year's spring game, watch all these guys go out and try to win a starting job is a big motivater. If he comes in and is able to beat out 4 other guys for the job, then he's clearly a productive guy. If not, then maybe he can get rotated in with whoever gets.

They could do what they did with Christian Harris, don't make him worry about being a playcaller and getting everyone set up, just let him go out and make plays.

Not sure why they didn't do this with Anderson more this year. I saw him in pass coverage once again in the Sugar Bowl. He's not a cover guy, let him perform his God given talents, rush the quarterback, and create pressure that leads to incompletions, stuffed runs, and turnovers.

I've never fully understood the nuances of our LB positions. Is it fair to say that our SDE-type OLBs only see the field when we are in our "regular" 3-4 formation?

Not sure why they didn't do this with Anderson more this year. I saw him in pass coverage once again in the Sugar Bowl. He's not a cover guy, let him perform his God given talents, rush the quarterback, and create pressure that leads to incompletions, stuffed runs, and turnovers.
The outside linebackers in the 3/4, over/under scheme Saban has employed since he's been coaching drop back in coverage—that's their role.

I've never fully understood the nuances of our LB positions. Is it fair to say that our SDE-type OLBs only see the field when we are in our "regular" 3-4 formation?
No, they can be put in the game numerous ways. One like you said, we'd have both on in a 2 down lineman look, you could put him in our regular Mint front and put him at the DE position. There's a lot you can do with them. It's why running an odd front is so versatile and beneficial to a team. You can give them a lot of different formations and looks in it.

The outside linebackers in the 3/4, over/under scheme Saban has employed since he's been coaching drop back in coverage—that's their role.

I understand that, but my point is that I don't understand why you do that with a guy that has shown zero ability to cover and beyond excellent ability to get to the quarterback. Turner is more of a cover guy than Anderson, so is Braswell. Surely the best to ever do it can create a new scheme or duties to get the most out of his superstars. He may be Saban's first #1 draft pick.

Back
Top Bottom