| FTBL ILB block shedding technique.

. Curious if there were any coaches on here, wanted to see how you teach your linebackers to take on a block and shed him. Personally, I think the way Alabama, Georgia, and many other college and professional teams teach it is the most effective way. Keep their Hips and shoulders square to the blocker, need to have violent hands, shoot them inside the blocker and keep your arms extended enough to create space between them, also need to keep a strong lower base. Being low allows you to generate power from your hips, while also out leveraging the O-lineman. Very few players are going to win that battle if they take on the block playing too high. I love this technique because if done correctly, and playing physical.... it allows the backer to knock the lineman back, or stonewall him. I also love it because it's very hard(if played correctly) for him to play out of position, or get walled off by a lineman. Which is my main gripe with Linebackers taking on blocks with their shoulders for leverage, it's very easy for them to get walled off, and get taken out of the play. If you have any techniques, or wish to talk about the ones I mentioned, please do. Want to see if there's anything new I may learn.

. Curious if there were any coaches on here, wanted to see how you teach your linebackers to take on a block and shed him. Personally, I think the way Alabama, Georgia, and many other college and professional teams teach it is the most effective way. Keep their Hips and shoulders square to the blocker, need to have violent hands, shoot them inside the blocker and keep your arms extended enough to create space between them, also need to keep a strong lower base. Being low allows you to generate power from your hips, while also out leveraging the O-lineman. Very few players are going to win that battle if they take on the block playing too high. I love this technique because if done correctly, and playing physical.... it allows the backer to knock the lineman back, or stonewall him. I also love it because it's very hard(if played correctly) for him to play out of position, or get walled off by a lineman. Which is my main gripe with Linebackers taking on blocks with their shoulders for leverage, it's very easy for them to get walled off, and get taken out of the play. If you have any techniques, or wish to talk about the ones I mentioned, please do. Want to see if there's anything new I may learn.

Reading the correct keys is a pet peeve of mine as well. Watching guards pull and seeing linebackers go flying into the vacated gap to only be cut off drives me nuts!!

Mike, when I coached LBs, it used to drive me crazy in film breakdowns and I would ask them what their key was and then they do something completely opposite!!! ILBs might be keying OGs, backs to their side, etc. OLBs reading head of TE or OT, or opposite back, all depending upon offensive scheme.
Preaching to the choir my friend. I feel your pain.

You know, I hear a lot of coaches tell their players that it's ok that they overran a play because they were being aggressive. It baffles me that they'll let that continue and keep putting their team in bad situations.
With the threat of cutbacks, that is ridiculous to say!! You might can get away with it on the front/play side, but overrun it from the back and he’s gone!! I always told my guys to “slow play” from the back expecting the cutback!

With the threat of cutbacks, that is ridiculous to say!! You might can get away with it on the front/play side, but overrun it from the back and he’s gone!! I always told my guys to “slow play” from the back expecting the cutback!
Exactly, I distinctly remember that happening to Ian Jackson in the Spring game last year. Less to Gibbs getting a 70 yard touchdown. I don't get how someone could see that, and not correct it.

Back
Top Bottom