| FTBL Hypothetical question...

AlabamaMan

Verified Member
Let's say, for example, that Alabama and Florida go undefeated until the SECC game, but they are ranked 1 and 2. Let's also say the the number three team, Oklahoma has two losses. Bama goes on to win the SECC game by a last second field goal to win by one. Could the SEC have two teams in the BCS championship game? Ever see anything like this happening, ever?

It just seems to me that if a conference like the Big10/11 can talk about two teams that played one another to play again for the title with one of them not winning their league, why couldn't the SEC make the same argument?

I don't know if it would ever happen or not. But I will say that I don't think it should happen. Even if your scenario was was reversed and Alabama came out on the losing end, I don't believe a team should play for a NC if they didn't even win their own conference.

It certainly could happen for two teas from the same conference to play each other in the NC, Michigan almost had it this year...but it's less likely to happen in a conference that has a Conference Championship game, like the SEC...and, I'm with Bo, if you don't even win your conference, you should not be in the NC game (Unless Bama gets put in that situation, and then I reserve the right to change my opinion) :D

Isn't this essentially what happened in 1996? FSU and Fla were ranked 1-2, FSU beat Fla, but since they were clearly the best two teams in the country, they rematched for the title and Fla won the NC?

AlabamaMan said:
Let's say, for example, that Alabama and Florida go undefeated until the SECC game, but they are ranked 1 and 2. Let's also say the the number three team, Oklahoma has two losses. Bama goes on to win the SECC game by a last second field goal to win by one. Could the SEC have two teams in the BCS championship game? Ever see anything like this happening, ever?

It just seems to me that if a conference like the Big10/11 can talk about two teams that played one another to play again for the title with one of them not winning their league, why couldn't the SEC make the same argument?
there simply wouldnt be no team out there listed as a number at number 3 with 2 losses, a one lose team that is 4th or 5th would probably jump to 2

Back
Top Bottom