| FTBL Huffman High School finishes their season at 0-10. Outscored 587-0 in '23.

Have a friend to bitches every week about TCHS… I texted him about this last night and told it could be worse! On Huffman though, the amazing is, they are 6A. Not some small school that has to play 9 players both ways every week. It seems it would be all but impossible to pull that feat off, yet they did it.

And yes, last team to do it was Notasulga in 1965.

Class of '88! Go Vikes!

giphy.gif

Not at all a defense of this horrid record, but some context:
  • The head coach is my school's SRO's brother. No, I've never met the coach, but if he's anything like his brother, then I applaud what's happened here. I grew up in Center Point. I fully get this retired SRO's point of view:
    • "It is my understanding; the Head Coach dismissed many upperclassmen from the team who didn't represent the team or their school as they should have. Huffman, Roebuck, Center Point, East Lake and other nearby areas offer an abundance of opportunities for bad behavior today. As you well know, one misfit can have a detrimental impact on many students who would have not otherwise strayed from doing the right thing. The players who remained on the team and DID NOT QUIT, benefitted from the Coach's decision whether they realize it or not right now. I applaud his moral judgement!"
  • That said, another friend of mine went to see Huffman play Hewitt. Here's what she told me:
    • "When Hewitt played them this year it was sad. Huffman didn't have enough varsity players so they had to play some of their freshman and middle school players. It was an unfair match up. I'm sure most of Huffman's games went the same way with other schools...By half time the score was ridiculously high. Some of the Trussville parents walked over to the very few Huffman parents that were there and talked to them and found out the situation. The second half of the game they used a running clock and everyone in the stadium started pulling for Huffman to score. Huffman could of just forfeited the game and not shown up, but they didn't. They played their hearts out."

• The head coach is my school's SRO's brother. No, I've never met the coach, but if he's anything like his brother, then I applaud what's happened here. I grew up in Center Point. I fully get this retired SRO's point of view:
    • "It is my understanding; the Head Coach dismissed many upperclassmen from the team who didn't represent the team or their school as they should have. Huffman, Roebuck, Center Point, East Lake and other nearby areas offer an abundance of opportunities for bad behavior today. As you well know, one misfit can have a detrimental impact on many students who would have not otherwise strayed from doing the right thing. The players who remained on the team and DID NOT QUIT, benefitted from the Coach's decision whether they realize it or not right now. I applaud his moral judgement!"
  • That said, another friend of mine went to see Huffman play Hewitt. Here's what she told me:
    • "When Hewitt played them this year it was sad. Huffman didn't have enough varsity players so they had to play some of their freshman and middle school players. It was an unfair match up. I'm sure most of Huffman's games went the same way with other schools...By half time the score was ridiculously high. Some of the Trussville parents walked over to the very few Huffman parents that were there and talked to them and found out the situation. The second half of the game they used a running clock and everyone in the stadium started pulling for Huffman to score. Huffman could of just forfeited the game and not shown up, but they didn't. They played their hearts out."
It'll be a lesson for the ages if he turns this program in the years to come.

To their credit, people who saw them play the other night said they were still playing hard.

Probst only won one game this year? That’s hilarious. Couldn’t happen to a better guy
Indeed. His second wife - the one he had in secret for some time while still married the first time - is from Pell City. It must have played a factor, she got a job out of it as well. They still have one game left against Springville. Also, they appeared to beat Center Point 24-17, but the game is now showing as a forfeit on Max Preps. A quick search shows they played an ineligible transfer (Propst is known for recruiting, and providing prescription meds to players) and had to forfeit. Here it is:

Pell City is where I'm retiring. In my lifetime, I don't think they've had anything but an occasional playoff appearance, nothing near a championship. As with anyone who goes near Probst, it will end in complete disillusionment, and they'll eventually realize they abandoned all ethics and morals. In other words, completely contrary to the lessons high school football should teach.

Back
Top Bottom