| FTBL How far in advance?

Jseakin

Verified Member
Hey guys I was just curious if someone could tell me how far in advance to we schedule our season games?

The reason I ask is because there always seems to be so much confusion and argument about the non conference teams that the top tier teams play each year so how long will it be before someone (USC for example) will make a killer schedule one year such as making a SEC game like they used to play the barn.

Jseakin said:
Hey guys I was just curious if someone could tell me how far in advance to we schedule our season games?

The reason I ask is because there always seems to be so much confusion and argument about the non conference teams that the top tier teams play each year so how long will it be before someone (USC for example) will make a killer schedule one year such as making a SEC game like they used to play the barn.

I can't put a number on it, because it changes. I've seen games scheduled in this century as far as 8-9 years in advance.

Right now, the furthest out we can go on our schedule is 2014....that game has been set for a few years now. (Ga. Tech)

Jseakin said:

I know last year we scheduled Georgia Tech for like 2012 (edit: or 2014 like Terry said :D ). I would say at least 4-5 years in advance except for the Clemson game this year and possibly the Va. Tech game next year. Without Saban I seriously doubt we would have played in either one.

With conference tie-ins these good OOC games are difficult to arrange but not impossible.

BamaDelta said:
Jseakin said:

I know last year we scheduled Georgia Tech for like 2012 (edit: or 2014 like Terry said :D ). I would say at least 4-5 years in advance except for the Clemson game this year and possibly the Va. Tech game next year. Without Saban I seriously doubt we would have played in either one.

With conference tie-ins these good OOC games are difficult to arrange but not impossible.

Bingo.

We tried pretty hard to get a deal worked out with USC and couldn't get it worked out.

Great thanks guys and gals. Just seems to me that with no BCS end in sight that some of these teams should start looking to better position themselves with better competition.

What are these conference tie-ins that you guys have mentioned?

TerryP said:
rolltide1969 said:
Seems like I remember alabama playing usc in the regular season in the not too recent past. I would love to see that happen again.

If 1978 is "recent past." :D

Played them in a bowl game in '85.

It's recent for some I guess :) I just would like to get back to playing notre dame and penn state OOC like we used to, but that is difficult with the current state of college football as some have already mentioned.

TerryP said:
You do know we have Penn State scheduled for 9-11-2010, don't you? I'm pretty sure it's the 11th of September at least. I know it's 2010.

Yes I think I remember that seems so far away. I think that at least alabama is trying to schedule some tough out of conference opponents.

BamaDelta said:
Lenny Kozlowski said:
whats up with the Va Tech game? Nothing outta that lately :?

I know. :?

Va Tech has everything worked out on their schedule. They have their opener listed as "against an SEC team," but that's as far as they have come out and said other than "Alabama is close to getting finished."

With us, it comes down to rescheduling one of two games. Either Florida International or Tulane. Both of those, the way I understand it, were scheduled early on in the season. I think we're moving Tulane...but, this is all just off the top of my head...all I can say for sure is the last time the conversation came up those at the University were still saying "we're very close."

Unless I'm mistaken, the BAMA/Clemson game was announced in early Jan, even though we all pretty much knew it was a foregone conclusion. I think the same thing will probably take place with the VT announcement... just after the bowl game. It could be because that is just an easy time to cross the T's and dot the I's... or it could be that they have to wait for Saban's stamp of approval on all the changes, and he has no time for such things until after UA's bowl game... I don't know... but by all indications, it will get done and announced at some point in the next couple of months.

Back
Top Bottom