| FTBL Homecoming '17 - The 1992 Tide team honored for their National Championship

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
The oral history of Alabama's 1992 national championship team

Twenty-five years ago this fall, Alabama won its first football national championship of the post-Paul "Bear" Bryant era. The Crimson Tide went 13-0 in 1992 under coach Gene Stallings, reaching the high point between the Bryant and Saban eras of Alabama football.

AL.com's Creg Stephenson interviewed more than 40 players, coaches and staff members from that team, plus other outside observers. Today and over the course of the next few weeks, you'll read the story of that season, in their own words.

(Editor's note: All interviews conducted by AL.com's Creg Stephenson during the summer of 2017 unless otherwise noted. Comments have been slightly edited for clarity and to improve flow. Titles appearing with speaker's names are as they were in 1992).

Part I -- Laying the foundation: Curry departs, Stallings arrives, Crimson Tide begins building a champion

Alabama football was in flux in the early 1990s. The Crimson Tide football family was fractured after the retirement and death of legendary coach Paul "Bear" Bryant following the 1982 season, enjoying regular but unsustained success under coaches Ray Perkins and Bill Curry.

Curry, an outsider from Georgia Tech, took over the Crimson Tide when Perkins left for the NFL in 1987. Curry's 1989 team began the year with 10 straight victories and reached a No. 2 ranking, but lost to Auburn to end the regular season and again to Miami in the 1990 Sugar Bowl, to finish 10-2.

Under fire following three consecutive losses to Auburn, Curry resigned from Alabama and took the job at Kentucky. Crimson Tide athletic director Cecil "Hootie" Ingram hired Gene Stallings, who played for Bryant at Texas A&M and coached for him at Alabama in the early 1960s.

Stallings had a marginal record as a head coach, fired from both Texas A&M and the NFL's Phoenix Cardinals. And yet, he seemed liked a perfect fit when he arrived in Tuscaloosa.

Guys you will need to click on the link, so you can read what the coaches, players, writers broadcasts, said about the 1992 team. Houston, Shuzlt,Copeland, Lassic, Barker, Langham, Coach Stallins,Oliver,And Hootie Ingram. And a lot more! It a great read on the 1992 team, and what each one thought about that year..

Was a great fit...loved GS.....
However...........how close was Bama to not playing for the NC.....
If we in CF had instan replay.....would not have been Bama....
In the Miss State game late in second half with Bama behind....Barker was stripped of ball....refs called it an incomplete pass...MSU had picked up the ball and run it in...Bama would have been 2 scores down..very late in 4th....as it was....the ball was clearly a fumble...
And bama kept the ball and scored...beating MSU.....

I covered Pruitt or rather I covered his team(Plainview) for a local fishwrap, back in the day. He was kinda a prick to his teammates. I was afraid he would be a cancer as a DC for Bama. Glad I was wrong.

I covered Pruitt or rather I covered his team(Plainview) for a local fishwrap, back in the day. He was kinda a prick to his teammates. I was afraid he would be a cancer as a DC for Bama. Glad I was wrong.
Pruitt is still a prick--no "kinda" about that description. I don't know if you were around back then but he was described that way, verbatim, here. :wave: I'm sure ass and a few others were used as well.

Funny, my concern lay with him on the recruiting trail based on seeing him get run out of Mobile (and Saban changing recruiters down there.) I don't consider him to be the strongest recruiter on the team by any means but he does have a few aces up his sleeve now he didn't when he was in Tuscaloosa last time: two DC positions at some big named schools.

^I did not attend Bama, except for a few frat parties. I went to JSU and I had left there by '92, when I was covering Plainview football, as a sportswriter for the DeKalb Advertiser.

Pruitt is still a prick--no "kinda" about that description. I don't know if you were around back then but he was described that way, verbatim, here. :wave: I'm sure ass and a few others were used as well.

Funny, my concern lay with him on the recruiting trail based on seeing him get run out of Mobile (and Saban changing recruiters down there.) I don't consider him to be the strongest recruiter on the team by any means but he does have a few aces up his sleeve now he didn't when he was in Tuscaloosa last time: two DC positions at some big named schools.

Terry, what is the story on recruiting this year? Are we really going to be this bad? Maybe this should be in a different thread, but if you could give the two sentence answer I'd like to hear it.

Terry, what is the story on recruiting this year? Are we really going to be this bad? Maybe this should be in a different thread, but if you could give the two sentence answer I'd like to hear it.
"Be this bad?"

They are being selective with the first few offers coming after camps. It's a smaller than normal class due to limited numbers, but bad?

Here's something you may have considered, briefly, but haven't put a lot of thought into yet ...

With the coaching turmoil you're seeing everywhere the staff is getting contacts with a lot of committed players--as in committed elsewhere. As a result, you're going to see some kids looking elsewhere (IE: Texas kids looking at Texas schools.)

Over three months until signing day...and this year will have as many, if not more, shake-ups with commitments.

Photos: Alabama Crimson Tide Football celebrates 1992 championship team
Also have photos of the '92 teams.
8_7744081.JPG
8_7744124.jpg
8_7744122.jpg

I wanted to say this the other day but didn't want to get too sidetracked with so much on my plate.

Over the last month, say six week, there's been a lot of interest coming from players who are committed to other schools.

As one example, there are two quarterbacks that Bama is interested in; one committed to Ohio State and the other to Kentucky.

Emory Jones (OSU) has been to Tuscaloosa already. He's one of the players Alabama has invited to attend the Tennessee game this weekend.

Jarren Williams is committed to Kentucky and he's been in Tuscaloosa recently. Word has it that Ohio State has amped up their recruitment of Williams as of late. You put two and two together and you can see Ohio State putting together a back up plan.

Back
Top Bottom