| FTBL Hey AlabamaMike look what you can get now!! (Alabama themed, out of state car tags)

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
Ohio passes law allowing license plates with University of Alabama logo

ohio-passes-law-allowing-license-plates-university-of-alabama-logo-crimson-tide-ohio-state-buckeyes-adam-bird-ron-bird-mike-dewine
Doug Murray/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images
The Alabama Crimson Tide are infiltrating roads across Ohio. A new law in the state will create a University of Alabama license plate, available for all Ohio drivers.
“Crimson Tide pride will soon be available for display on the roads in Buckeye territory,” wrote Kristine Varkony of NBC4 WCMH-TV in Columbus. “A year ago, Rep. Adam Bird (R-New Richmond) introduced a bill in the Ohio House that would create a University of Alabama license plate for the state. His persuasive testimony during that introduction caught the attention of the masses and seemingly swayed the hearts in the form of votes by his legislative colleagues.”
While Varkony notes that the individual bill didn’t originally go forward, it was signed into law this week by Mike DeWine — the Governor of Ohio. In addition to Alabama plates, Circleville Pumpkin Show, Little Brown Jug, and Marshall University will be available.
“I’m very thankful to be able to have legislation like this in Ohio and to have colleagues that are willing to listen and consider views … [that] might be divisive,” Bird said, via Varkony.
Continuing, the plate and subsequent scholarship fund that it will benefit from through its purchase are in honor of Bird’s father, Ron, according to Varkony.
To illustrate, Ron Bird attended Alabama, where he played football on scholarship. During his time, he was an athlete under the legendary coach Paul “Bear” Bryant, and played alongside star quarterback Joe Namath. There, Bird captured a national championship in 1964 with Alabama. According to Rep. Bird, the scholarship changed the directory of his entire family’s lives.
“I grew up in Ohio, and I am forever a fan of Ohio State football,” Bird told House Transportation Committee during the legislation’s original introduction, via Varkony. “But I am also forever grateful for the educational opportunity that was afforded my father by the University of Alabama and the change it made in the lives of my family.”
“This bill [will] just generate a little bit extra revenue to provide some scholarship money for a student who wants to go to Alabama from the state of Ohio,” he added in an interview with NBC4 on Friday, per Varkony.
Alabama may be a bit of a sore subject for Buckeyes faithful, as the Crimson Tide defeated Ohio State 52-24 in the 2021 College Football Playoff National Championship Game. Still, Bird was able to get his law passed, and gift Alabama faithful in Ohio with a special license plate.
While Rep. Adam Bird had his father worried Ohioans may not like the move, he has his mother’s blessing.
“He said, ‘You sure you want to do that you’re gonna get in trouble?’” Bird said, via Varkony. “But you know, my mom is the one who’s really excited. And she’s the one who’s a really big Alabama fan.”

Of course it's money driven.

A quick look at the other collegiate plates Ohio offers, they're all in State schools. So back to my point, why bend the knee to rivals... Long game here, not short game.

After paying licensing fees, this has to be a nominal return.

Texas did this years ago when I was there, thought the same thing then too.

interesting data here ;)

Texas is a rip off on license plates, they want $150/year for the Alabama plate, you can knock the price down to $450 for 5 years. You'll still need to pay the normal annual dues. Those MF'ers wanted me to pay $50/year for a trailer tag. Robbery is what that is.

Ohio appears to only charge $35 for collegiate plates, which is way more reasonable and back to my other point, nominal return. Maybe it's not about money, but keeping their voters happy 🤣

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom