| CURRENT EVENTS Here's one of those "news articles" that amuses me to no end: both the article and the comments that follow. Coca-Coal is to blame for litter?

TerryP

Staff

COCA-COLA WAS found for the second year in a row to be the most polluting brand in a global audit of plastic trash conducted by the Break Free From Plastic global movement. The giant soda company was responsible for more plastic litter than the next top three polluters combined.
More than 72,000 volunteers fanned out onto beaches, paddled along waterways, and walked along streets near their offices and homes picking up plastic bottles, cups, wrappers, bags, and scraps for the one-day cleanup in September that was the basis for the audit. Sorting through the mounds of garbage, they found that the plastic represented 50 different types and could be traced back to almost 8,000 brands. Coke was responsible for 11,732 pieces of plastic litter found in 37 countries on four continents. After Coca-Cola, the next biggest contributors to the plastic pollution in the audit were Nestle, PepsiCo, Mondelez International — purveyor of snack brands like Oreo, Ritz, Nabisco, and Nutter Butter — and Unilever. More than half of the plastic had eroded to the point where it was impossible to discern who had produced it.
The giant soda company was responsible for more plastic litter than the next top three polluters combined.

Which was met with:

It seems that no matter how bad you think the corruption and disdain for life on this planet at the corporate level is, it's always worse. So, boycott

If I'm following this correctly, Coca-Cola is to blame for the plastic not the people who bought the product and actually littered?

The answer, clearly, is to boycott Coca-Cola because those people would stop littering? The best response to that, by far, is ...

From now on, I will only buy plastic bottles of Pepsi.

The backwards logic here astounds me.

I'd say ban Coke for the sugars they've put in their drinks and the impact it's had on society and healthcare. I rarely drink soda, maybe a handful of times a year and that's pushing it.

Hell, I remember growing up it seemed like everyone just threw their trash out their window while driving down the road. Now I just shake my head when I see someone throw their trash out of the window.

Below is from 8 years ago, my first trip to India.

i-NXF9tR6-X2.jpg

India is a whole other story. They already had a predisposition to pollute and an overpopulation that means there is nowhere to put the trash, but we make it worse for them. The dirty secret of Western countries lowering their pollution is that we ship it to India and other "emerging economies" for them to deal with. They aren't required to meet the standards we are. Which means all of the climate and pollution screaming over here just makes lives worse for people over there so politicians and activists can say they are doing something. Our manufacturing moves over there not just because it is cheaper to get workers, but because it is cheaper to deal with the waste it creates.

Back
Top Bottom