| FTBL "Here's 1 million not to coach. And, we don't care if you look for a job." Jim Leonhard's contract with Wisconsin.

TerryP

Staff
This is one of the more interesting exit agreements I've seen.

Leonhard’s exit agreement with the school requires Wisconsin to pay him $1 million from March 2023 through January 2024, according to BadgersExtra.com. He’s also owed personal leave and vacation time. He had been earning $1.5 million as the team’s DC. The agreement also contains offset language, and that’s where things get interesting.
Generally speaking, offset clauses require a coach to actively seek employment in order to continue getting buyout money. However, that’s not the case with Jim Leonhard.
The former Wisconsin DC’s offset language leaves it to his “judgment regarding what is in the best interest of his family,” according to the same report. That means, in theory, Leonhard has no requirement at all to pursue any job while he collects his exit agreement checks.

This is one of the more interesting exit agreements I've seen.

Leonhard’s exit agreement with the school requires Wisconsin to pay him $1 million from March 2023 through January 2024, according to BadgersExtra.com. He’s also owed personal leave and vacation time. He had been earning $1.5 million as the team’s DC. The agreement also contains offset language, and that’s where things get interesting.
Generally speaking, offset clauses require a coach to actively seek employment in order to continue getting buyout money. However, that’s not the case with Jim Leonhard.
The former Wisconsin DC’s offset language leaves it to his “judgment regarding what is in the best interest of his family,” according to the same report. That means, in theory, Leonhard has no requirement at all to pursue any job while he collects his exit agreement checks.
Uh, isn’t that what he’s getting by being let go?

$1.5 to sit back and do nothing for a year does not sound like a bad gig BUT, if Leonhard wants to coach AND the ight situation comes along, I find it hard to believe he will do nothing for a year. Come on down to T'town and coach for championships. A couple of years as our DC, would make him a prime candidate for a head coaching position.

so why was he fired?
He wasn't, he decided not to remain with the team when they decided to hire Fickell as the next head coach instead of him. You can look up some articles, he let people know he'd be leaving after the 2022 season and that Fickell is quoted in saying "they'd like to have kept him" so basically he wasn't fired. He just didn't see anymore room for growth in WISC and is looking at other options now, obviously ones that can get him to a head coaching job sooner rather than later.

He wasn't, he decided not to remain with the team when they decided to hire Fickell as the next head coach instead of him. You can look up some articles, he let people know he'd be leaving after the 2022 season and that Fickell is quoted in saying "they'd like to have kept him" so basically he wasn't fired. He just didn't see anymore room for growth in WISC and is looking at other options now, obviously ones that can get him to a head coaching job sooner rather than later.
Yep! Hard to grow in the profession if they don’t or won’t hire from within. I experienced something similar when I went back and got my masters in administration at the suggestion of multiple school board members. We had 5 positions coming open within our small system and so when I completed classes and passed the PRAXIS to go with it, I wasn’t even granted an interview for a single position!!!! I was told that I should “go outside the system and into the county!” Told them they could take their suggestions and shove them up their collective asses!!

After reading the article, it is very clear that everyone knew they would be Saban's second choice. Otherwise this guy would be at Alabama. He obviously doesn't want to be second choice to Fickell or Pruitt or anyone else.

Back
Top Bottom