| FTBL HBO announces "Hard Knocks" type show Florida, Penn State, Arizona State, and Washington State

Don't do it, coach. It's unfiltered, raw at times, and shows the ugly underbelly of sports a little more than what's needed in our world. And besides, being the hands-on guy you've always proven to be, controlling the narrative would seem much more problematic.

ESPN was a nice PG edition of how it all happens and I thought it was a nice recruiting tool. I bet you did too, or you would never allow the talking heads and their cameras within 100 miles of your practice field and football facilities.

Don't do it, coach.

I haven't seen anything from the University or any of the beat reporters saying this is true. Does anyone else have any official confirmation?

I had really rather not see HBO get their grubby little paws on the UA program JMO

well, hbo can choose all the schools they want. but it's up to the schools to decide in what they want to participate.

and i hope the school and Coach Saban don't agree to it. almost everyone in college football knows of Coach Saban and his attitude towards the openness of his program. HE decides what is shown within the program (which is not much, thankfully). if left up to hbo, the world would get a much more in-depth look at something that Coach Saban wants to keep closed off from the rest of the world.

Herm Edwards, Nick Saban, Mike Leach, and James Franklin.

The first three are very unique to collegiate football. Herm, with his new management style has turned heads. Saban, well, you know that story. Leach and his system have influenced teams across the nation and we're looking at his influence in the NFL.

All three I can see as focal points for a HBO mini-series.

Now, Franklin? Say what you will but we are looking at a coach who led Vandy to what ... three bowl games and two nine win seasons? Now, we're looking at him at Penn State and he's already won a B1G title. He's a success story in his own right.

I'm hesitant to write this off. The reference to Hard Knocks may have been in the sense this is a mini-series and not a focus on things that have gone awry.

As much as I would think it would be amazing to see this - I'm a HUGE Hard Knocks fan, I've literally watched every season from day one - I dont see Saban being okay with this for more than maybe one week.

Dont understand the hate Im seeing from some of yall about HBO though. I thought pretty much everybody liked HBO programming. I'm still bitter about them cancelling boxing, though.

Have not watched anything on HBO for years. Regardless I will trust that if Coach Saban has decided to do this he has gotten agreement on some restrictions that would alleviate some of the concerns expressed here.

To be fair I don't hate HBO programming I think they do a great job but I also know their documentaries are seldom superficial. If you look long enough and hard enough you can find some turmoil, controversy etc. Just don't want to see that in relation to UA.

That's reality TV in general, though. At least for Hard Knocks, though, it doesn't seem like anything is artificially controversial. Usually its over a player holding out on a contract or someone getting in trouble or even coaches arguing, but usually they try to pick out a handful of young guys (along with a cpl stars) and tell their story. To me, watching a walk-on as he tries to earn a scholarship is a super awesome story that would be great to see them tell, especially when you consider guys like Levi Wallace coming from nothing and how amazing his story is/was.

That's reality TV in general, though. At least for Hard Knocks, though, it doesn't seem like anything is artificially controversial. Usually its over a player holding out on a contract or someone getting in trouble or even coaches arguing, but usually they try to pick out a handful of young guys (along with a cpl stars) and tell their story. To me, watching a walk-on as he tries to earn a scholarship is a super awesome story that would be great to see them tell, especially when you consider guys like Levi Wallace coming from nothing and how amazing his story is/was.

Kind of like Netflix's Last Chance U? It felt like they were also going for that Hard Knocks effect.

LOL, they could have at least selected better games. Alabama never really fit in with this group of misfits.

Episodes include:
Episode 1: Florida Gators
Debut date: WEDNESDAY, OCT. 2 (10:00–11:00 p.m. ET/PT)​
Chronicles game week of Towson vs. Florida (9/28).​
Episode 2: Penn State Nittany Lions
Debut date: WEDNESDAY, OCT. 9 (10:00–11:00 p.m. ET/PT)​
Chronicles game week of Purdue vs. Penn State (10/5).​
Episode 3: Arizona State Sun Devils
Debut date: WEDNESDAY, OCT. 16 (10:00–11:00 p.m. ET/PT)​
Chronicles game week of Washington State vs. Arizona State (10/12).​
Episode 4: Washington State Cougars
Debut date: WEDNESDAY, OCT. 23 (10:00–11:00 p.m. ET/PT)​