| FTBL Glenn Coffee May Not Return?

• Thread starter imported_RollTideRandy
  • Start date
I

imported_RollTideRandy

Michigan Live Article On Mark Ingram

Near the bottom it states:

Ingram, Alabama's top running back target, joins a crowded backfield in Tuscaloosa. The Tide returns sophomore speedster Terry Grant along with juniors Glen Coffee and Roy Upchurch.

But, there has been some speculation that Coffee, who was suspended for several games last season for what the school called an "impermissible receipt of textbooks," may not return to the team in 2008.

This is the first I'm hearing of this.

Meh, anyone can speculate. Hell, I am going to speculate right now that Glenn Coffee turns into a 4 headed, 200 foot tall reptile that breathes atomic fire. It probably won't happen but I can speculate.

News to me. And Swamptick, you're full of it man. Everyone knows that if Coffee turned into a 4-headed, 200 foot tall reptile he'd crap atomic fire, not breath it. :roll:

And so, as much as so many of us wanted to see Ingram in green and white this fall, it is hard to fault him for heading south.

He has the opportunity of a lifetime to experience college in a place that draws few parallels; a place where "roll tide roll" is salutation and farewell.

It's an environment that Michigan State, one school involved in his recruitment until the bitter end, simply cannot replicate.

My favorite part of the article. Although, anyone should know that "ROLL TIDE ROLL" is a cheer and "ROLL TIDE" is a greeting. He got the gist right, though. We have few rivals when it comes to atmosphere and sheer devotion of the fans.

Kevin4Bama said:
And so, as much as so many of us wanted to see Ingram in green and white this fall, it is hard to fault him for heading south.

He has the opportunity of a lifetime to experience college in a place that draws few parallels; a place where "roll tide roll" is salutation and farewell.

It's an environment that Michigan State, one school involved in his recruitment until the bitter end, simply cannot replicate.

My favorite part of the article. Although, anyone should know that "ROLL TIDE ROLL" is a cheer and "ROLL TIDE" is a greeting. He got the gist right, though. We have NO rivals when it comes to atmosphere and sheer devotion of the fans.

Fixed it for you :D

There have been rumors running around about Glenn not being happy with how the suspensions were handled...not something I've really paid attention to or asked about.

While this may very well me just a rumor, don't think for a minute that we will see some players bail. As I recall, Saban was not real pleased with some of his inherited personnel and I'm pretty confident that there will be lots of job openings for starting positions. There will most certainly be a handful of players that might look for greener pastures.

Chances are, if they're that willing to leave, we wont miss them that much.

reger60 said:
While this may very well me just a rumor, don't think for a minute that we will see some players bail. As I recall, Saban was not real pleased with some of his inherited personnel and I'm pretty confident that there will be lots of job openings for starting positions. There will most certainly be a handful of players that might look for greener pastures.

Well said, if they don't want to play for BAMA then we shouldn't want to have them here. I think Glenn Coffee is one heck of a RB, but we certainly have other RB's who are capable of being productive. I would love to have Coffee back next year, but if he's not going to be a good fit for Saban's system then I wish him the best of luck., and we'll just plug another RB in to take his place.

BamaFan615 said:
reger60 said:

Well said, if they don't want to play for BAMA then we shouldn't want to have them here. I think Glenn Coffee is one heck of a RB, but we certainly have other RB's who are capable of being productive. I would love to have Coffee back next year, but if he's not going to be a good fit for Saban's system then I wish him the best of luck., and we'll just plug another RB in to take his place.

Coffee is a average SEC back at best. I hate to see him leave but if he wants to bitch out then let him.

Bones82 said:
Coffee is a average SEC back at best. I hate to see him leave but if he wants to bitch out then let him.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that. I think that if I was a kid struggling for playing time already, was in the doghouse with the coach and then saw a player of Ingram's caliber coming in, I'd start to sweat a little too.

My point is that there are more than likely several very similar situations that exist on the team and it may result in some players looking for a another place to play. (Think offensive line and wide receiver.)

I think -- like all of our skill position players -- Coffee is in a backfield where the competition is fierce and because he hasn't been consistent in his efforts to step up and claim the starting role, he's at a disadvantage. We've seen the same situation at wide receiver. Lots of guys have been given several chances to perform consistently at a high level and no one's been able to capitalize on it and be the man.

With Saban's success in recruiting, the incoming talent has more potential than the outgoing classes had ability, making the situation even more competitive. If Glen Coffee want to be a starting tailback for the Crimson Tide, he is going to have to do what many others have done in the past -- outperform some very talented players that have the same goal.

I think it's a situation that is very healthy and ultimately makes us a very strong program again.

Roll Tide!

reger60 said:
Bones82 said:

I wouldn't go as far as to say that. I think that if I was a kid struggling for playing time already, was in the doghouse with the coach and then saw a player of Ingram's caliber coming in, I'd start to sweat a little too.

My point is that there are more than likely several very similar situations that exist on the team and it may result in some players looking for a another place to play. (Think offensive line and wide receiver.)

I think -- like all of our skill position players -- Coffee is in a backfield where the competition is fierce and because he hasn't been consistent in his efforts to step up and claim the starting role, he's at a disadvantage. We've seen the same situation at wide receiver. Lots of guys have been given several chances to perform consistently at a high level and no one's been able to capitalize on it and be the man.

With Saban's success in recruiting, the incoming talent has more potential than the outgoing classes had ability, making the situation even more competitive. If Glen Coffee want to be a starting tailback for the Crimson Tide, he is going to have to do what many others have done in the past -- outperform some very talented players that have the same goal.

I think it's a situation that is very healthy and ultimately makes us a very strong program again.

Roll Tide!

I would blame JPW for some of the wide reciever's issues.

reger60 said:
Bones82 said:

Roll Tide!

As usual I completely agree with your post Reger. Still, after seeing this video, I think any running back at Alabama better be concerned about playing time.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L45rN1d8qU0[/youtube]

About This Video:

A kid named Mark Ingram, going into game to play no.6 bay city western with coach suspended with two other players, scores 5 touchdowns and runs for 419 yards. look at the opposing coaches face at the end it says it all!

Back
Top Bottom